British Literature discussion

Current Book Discussions > Pride & Prejudice, August '09

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (shawna638) | 171 comments Mod
Our book this month is my favorite Jane Austen (so far), Pride & Prejudice.

message 2: by Shawna (new)

How goes it? Who's your least favorite character so far?

message 3: by Shawna (new)

There was a show on BBC America today called "Lost in Austen" about a woman from today who swaps places with Elizabeth Bennet and totally changes Pride & Prejudice as we know it. Jane marries Mr. Collins. Bingley runs off with Lydia. It was great!

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
has anyone read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I've heard it is actually very good and an interesting twist on P&P.

message 5: by Sadie (new)

Sadie I haven't read it but it's waiting for me at my library. My friend read it and really liked it but she had never read P&P the original before. I've seen some reviews on here that thought it was funny in the beginning but that it got old. I plan picking it up on Tuesday and diving right in.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
please, let us know how it is? It definitely is an unusual concept.

message 7: by Sadie (last edited Sep 18, 2009 06:33AM) (new)

Sadie Ok, here's the deal with P&P and Zombies. I'm taking it back to the library because I can't renew it, but I didn't finish. I struggled even wanting to pick it up. It was a fun premise and there is some goring descriptions but I was expecting that the main story would be the same with the zombie storyline thrown in. But they change quite a bit of the conversations and so changed the characters a bit for me. Darcy is so much more verbally obusive to those around him especially to Caroline Bingley and her reactions to him are from the original and so they don't seem to work anymore. I'm trying not to be snooty, because I do know this book is meant to be just silly and fun and maybe if I didn't love the original so much I wouldn't be as annoyed. I say that if you are looking for complete silliness -- you'd probably like this book, but I do think you'll need to be in the mood for it. I would love for someone else to read it and see if they agree or not.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I started Pride & Prejudice earlier this year but am only 5 or 6 chapters into the book. I got so lost, not familiar with the plot, I broke a rule I have about not watching the movie til I'd read the book. After I watched the movie (Keira Knightly version), I started reading the book again and it made alot more sense and was alot better. Now it's been so long since I started, I really need to start over. I did find used incredibly cheap the Cliff Notes pamphlet for Pride & Prejudice. So I can use that to help me when I start over.

message 9: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Mar 03, 2010 10:49AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I just finished the Cliff Notes for Pride & Prejudice and have started reading The Annotated Pride & Prejudice. It includes explanations of historical context; citations from Austen's life, letters and other writings; definitions and clarifications; literary comments and analysis; maps and illustrations; and an introduction, a bibliography and a detailed chronology of events.