Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #7) Hunters of Dune discussion

homage to Frank Herbert or betrayal?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lesmana (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

lesmana Put aside for the moment that Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson don't have an ounce of sense for the craft of writing that Frank demonstrated time and again. Is the "revelation" of Daniel and Marty's identities anything but a complete disappointment?

message 2: by NumberLord (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NumberLord Put aside for the moment that Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson don't have an ounce of sense for the craft of writing that Frank demonstrated time and again.

You, sir, ask the impossible!

Is the "revelation" of Daniel and Marty's identities anything but a complete disappointment?

I haven't read this book yet (although I had heard about the Daniel/Marty thing). It is somewhat disappointing, but not terribly surprising, given the events in the Butlerian Jihad books. Brian and Kevin wield their subtlety like a sandworm suffering from Tourette's.

message 3: by De (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

De It is indeed a disappointment. Hell, the whole book is one giant soggy disappointment.

If Herbert and Anderson wanted to keep writing prequels, that was fine by me. I read House Atreides and no more. But when they tantalized us with talk of finding Frank Herbert's notebooks and clues to his planned final trilogy, I absolutely had to read Hunters of Dune.

The whole Daniel and Marty chapter in Chapterhouse: Dune was one of the most intriguing throughout the whole Dune hexology. Were they freed Face Dancers? Aliens? Or was it actually Frank Herbert and his wife saying goodbye to the Dune universe?

Nope, nope, and nope. It was Machines...wow...Machines...

And did anyone else notice how Herbert & Anderson seemed to flip Daniel and Marty's personalities?

Matthew Williams De wrote: "It is indeed a disappointment. Hell, the whole book is one giant soggy disappointment.

If Herbert and Anderson wanted to keep writing prequels, that was fine by me. I read House Atreides and no mo..."

That would have been way cool, if they were aliens I mean. That was what I expected and was hoping for. But they were clearly Face Dancers, at least every indication was given to that effect. Like how Duncan believed they looked very much like Face Dancers, right down to their snub noses, but who clearly worked for no one but themselves.

Or how Daniel and Marty had that conversation at the end which leaves no doubt. They flat out said they were Face Dancers who learned to defy their Tleilaxu masters, who had develop their own personalities by constantly adopting the personas of others.

I even asked Kevin J Anderson about this. He was somewhat evasive, but he admitted that Erasmus and Omnius were his and Brian's inventions, and in the notes for the Legends of Dune series, they admitted that Frank left no notes about this period and they had to rely on their own imaginations. Translation: no way Frank could have planned it that way. But we knew that already, didn't we?

He tried to tie it all together by saying Erasmus was doing Face Dancer experiments and that's why they were running them. But that was an obvious contrivance, attempting to tie two loose ends together rather than fulfilling any plans Frank put down.

message 5: by Isaac (last edited Dec 10, 2014 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Isaac Jourden The books by Brian are a betrayal to the core. Almost all of Herbert's writing centers around the idea that charismatic leaders, messiah figures, and "great leaders" are terrible for humanity and only lead to trouble. (For example, he wrote an essay that had the thesis that Nixon was a better president for the American people than Kennedy, for that reason.)

The leaders in the Dune series struggle with this, and those that embrace their charisma and greatness are the villains, those that push it away, or are disgusted by it, or try to discourage it, are the heroes. It's the whole point of the Dune novels.

Then in the end humanity is saved by an all powerful leader? It's the exact opposite of what Frank was going for. The ending is completely inconsistent with the rest of his work and his personal philosophy.

message 6: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Privett could daniel and marty be omnius and erasmus biologicaly combined with facedancers?

message 7: by Matthew (last edited Nov 18, 2017 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matthew Williams Ronald wrote: "could daniel and marty be omnius and erasmus biologicaly combined with facedancers?"

Absolutely not. Daniel and Marty openly said they were Face Dancers. But according to the Brian/KJA story in Hunter's of Dune, Erasmus and Omnius were just wearing the identities as a disguise. And to add further contradiction to the ball, they were the one's running the Face Dancers, whom they had been experimenting on in exile, apparently.

The ending that Brian and KJA wrote massively contradictedf the ending that Frank wrote in Chapterhouse: Dune, which just goes to show that it was in no way based on Frank Herbert's notes.

David William I've felt the same way about The Dune series as I did about Pink Floyd without Gilmore. A universe with Pink Floyd is better then one without it. A world with dune without Frank is better then a world without it. Yes Frank was genius and the kids aren't but it's still Dune.