Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Cheryl's July

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments This was a fairly slow month. When I go to these conferences, I don't get a lot of reading done even though I am surrounded by books and authors.

Once Were Cops Ken Bruen. A stand alone although it may start a new series with a new character. Typical Bruen: very dark, spare writing.

Schemers Bill Pronzini I'm getting hooked on his "nameless detective" series. This was a locked room murder. 8.5

The Cruelest Month Louise Penny. Nominated as best Novel for the Anthony, Macavity and Barry awards,

Finger Lickin" Fifteen Janet Evanovich. No great literary masterpiece, but these books are fun.

Fat Chance Rhonda Pollero. I met Rhonda two years ago at Tfest. She was in a discussion with Barry Eisler about terminology such as pulsating python. Her books are a little closer to chick lit, but her character has my maiden name and they are fun reads. 8

Turn Coat Jim Butcher (Audio) James Marsters makes these books, but I did think this was one of the best. 9

Sacrifice S. J. Bolton Takes place on the Shetland Islands, reminded me of Anne Cleeves. OB/GYN finds body in peat bog. Based on Celtic folklore. 9

Jump Tim Maleeny. Tim has a wild sense of humor. This book was described as Agatha Christie meets Monty Python. A retired cop has to determine whether his landlord jumped or was pushed. If I lived with these people, I would jump. 8.5

Stardust Joseph Kanon. An ARC that ended up DNF after 50 pages of a dialogue and no action.

A Welcome Grave Michael Koryta. 3rd in a series about Lincoln Perry PI New book comes out in August 8.5

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments Schemers Bill Pronzini I'm getting hooked on his "nameless detective" series. This was a locked room murder. ...

I was first exposed to him when he co-wrote with Marsha Muller. Sharon McCone was paired with the nameless detective in a mystery, and the styles did not clash, they blended into a well done effort. Maybe some day I will read the nameless detective, but right now, the shelves are groaning.
Barry

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments I read the first in Rhonda Pollero's series last year. Agree that it is pretty much "chick lit" which, on the whole, doesn't really appeal to me. I loved Turn Coat, but haven't had the chance to do the audio yet. I'm never in the car long enough anymore!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Cheryl:
LOL, that sounds like me (sort of). The more time I spend immersed in books and authors on Goodreads, it seems the less time I spend actually reading! :)
And if my current book isn't a strong pull to read, I spend even more time flitting from book to book and less time just "plowing through" the pages.
I really liked The Cruelest Month too, and Jump sounds intriguing! !
Cheryl wrote: "This was a fairly slow month. When I go to these conferences, I don't get a lot of reading done even though I am surrounded by books and authors."

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Ann said Jump sounds intriguing! !

Tim Maleeny is one of my favorite people. Those of you who were at Bcon in Baltimore, he is the guy that came up to the table when we were having dinner the first night.
Jump is the first stand alone. He has a series about a San Francisco PI named Cape Weathers. The books are Stealing the Dragon, Beating the Babushka and Greasing the Pinata.

message 6: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann said: "LOL, that sounds like me (sort of). The more time I spend immersed in books and authors on Goodreads, it seems the less time I spend actually reading! :) "

This is SO true of me. Goodreads is almost too fun of a site. It's seriously interfered with my reading. Ann, at least you haven't fallen prey to the trivia jones as I have. And I can spend hours clicking from friend to friend, list to list, review to review!

Jan O'Cat

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Ms. O'AlertCat:
LOL, that is because I am terrible at answering the trivia questions! I really do like seeing friends bookshelves too!

JanOMalleycat wrote: "This is SO true of me. Goodreads is almost too fun of a site. It's seriously interfered with my reading. Ann, at least you haven't fallen prey to the trivia jones as I have. And I can spend hours clicking from friend to friend, list to list, review to review!"

message 8: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann said: "that is because I am terrible at answering the trivia questions!"

Oh believe me, Ann, when that trivia monkey is on your back you don't even need to be good at it. You just must be able to click answers. . .click answers. . .click answers.

Jan O'Cat, giving the back monkey a banana to try to appease it

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Jan O'PersistentCat:
LOL, I can see that!
JanOMalleycat wrote: "Oh believe me, Ann, when that trivia monkey is on your back you don't even need to be good at it. You just must be able to click answers. . .click answers. . .click answers. "

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments Ann wrote: "Jan O'PersistentCat:
LOL, I can see that!
JanOMalleycat wrote: "Oh believe me, Ann, when that trivia monkey is on your back you don't even need to be good at it. You just must be able to click a..."

I've become a cheater. I decided to only answer questions about books I just read which you can find on the book's page. I can always answer those correctly.

Shomeret

message 11: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: "Ann said: "that is because I am terrible at answering the trivia questions!"

Oh believe me, Ann, when that trivia monkey is on your back you don't even need to be good at it. You just must be abl..."

Among my group of Goodreads "friends" Jan is ranked number 1!!!!

message 12: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Cathy said: "Among my group of Goodreads "friends" Jan is ranked number 1!!!! "

LOL, that has to be for "number of questions answered" and not "number correct!"

Jan O'Gottamonkeyonherback