The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals The Omnivore's Dilemma discussion

The Farm Bill 2007

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Asta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asta This book should incite you to want a better Farm Bill! What happened on the floor of the house last night? Are we going to continue to let commodity crops take over farming in the US?

message 2: by Dave (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Dave Clapper One of the kids IS named for him: Albus Severus Potter.

message 3: by Bonnie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Bonnie That was kind of neat for him to name one of his children after Snape although Snape didn't truly seem to care for Potter even if Potter was Lily's son. He had too much James in him I guess. And, I too did think that Snape was good -- that Dumbledorewas not that stupid. My loose end - what happened to George without Fred?

message 4: by Bonnie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Bonnie Yeah - but I kind of thought they might have him at the station too -- sending his daughter Frederica off to Hogwarts. But I guess that would have been way too corny!

message 5: by Banafsheh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Banafsheh The book was amazing and one of the most hurting parts for me was snape`s destiny,he was such a lonely man and was killed in a very painful way.He was one of my favorites.

message 6: by Beckett (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Beckett In Response to Annapurna regarding Snape:

I'm right there with you. I really did believe all along that Snape was still on Dumbledore's side, even after he killed him. There was too much that didn't make sense. First of all, as he's running away with Draco at the end of the 6th book, he casts a non-lethal curse at Harry. To me that said he wanted to appear on Voldemort's side, but didn't really want to hurt Harry. And the kicker for me was that Dumbledore said "please" when snape was about to kill him. I knew that must have meant Dumbledore was asking him to follow through with some elaborate plan to kill him in front of others, because there's no way Dumbledore would have said "please don't kill me" to anyone. He had more power and integrity than almost anyone, he's not the type to have begged for his life.

message 7: by Maziar (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Maziar U know that was really shocking to find out what happened to Dombldore.Snape was a real lover I guess..!!but there was a problem he didn't show his great love in it's direct way.. and because of that he lost his love (Lili) and as a matter of fact he wanted to overcome his fear and then he did as he should!!!!!

message 8: by Rita (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Rita I don't still completely believe that Snape was good. He made good things because he loved Lily, but he hurted Harry too often. He should know that Harry was not his father. And there was another thing: when he hitted George with sectumsempra (when he was trying to hit a death eater), couldn't he just do whatever he had done with Malfoy in half blood prince to heal him?

message 9: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Kate Rita, they were on their broomsticks and there were death eaters all around, Snape couldn't have just paused, gotten off, and done a healing charm! That would have sealed his fate with Voldy too early.

There is a great interview on Yahoo! news about what happens to all the characters afterwards. Just search for it if you go there.

message 10: by Pamela (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Pamela I think it might be too simplistic to say Snape's "good" or "bad." He was both, IMO. He protected Harry and did a lot of horrible things for a "good" reason (i.e. out of unrequited love for Lily and a sense of guilt over her death), but he also bullied children for fun and acted like a jerk every chance he got. Snape floats somewhere in the grey area of the spectrum. I think that makes him a much more interesting character than if he'd been a white knight in disguise or completely evil.

message 11: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

David I think the thing about Snape is that he managed to triumph over his own prejudices and other personal baggage. It was not a complete triumph, but then he had a lot of baggage to overcome.

By the time I had put down book 6, I was pretty sure that Snape had staged Dumbledore's murder in order to infiltrate deeper into the Death Eaters. At the time, I though that meant that Dumbledore wasn't really dead, and I had an only mildly elaborate theory on how that could be (it revolved around that year's training in silent spellcasting; I figured Snape had silently placed some sort of counterspell under his own Kedavra curse). So I guess I had it half right; Snape did stage Dumbledore's murder to get closer to Voldemort--which I had presumed meant Dumbledore wasn't really dead, but Rowling managed a more elegant solution to that.

As for the way Snape treated Harry, I think that is very well explained in his backstory, and it goes back to what I said at the start of this post, about his personal baggage: Snape loved Lily but hated James, so from Harry he always expected the best but feared the worst. Harry looked more like James, so Snape was always trying to "save" him from becoming like his father. Which, because of his own warped upbringing and twisted past, took the form of excessive discipline, because he had never had the occasion to learn to be nurturing.

message 12: by Beckett (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

Beckett I agree that Snape is certainly one of the most interesting character's, and it's axactly for the reason that Discriminating Fangirl pointed out: because he's so deeply imbedded in a grey area which makes it impossible to distinguish his character as either inherently good OR bad. He's both, as is almost every other person on this planet. No one alive is perfect, no one radiates pure goodness (and if they did, they'd probably be pretty boring); and similarly, just about every "bad" person in the world has at least a few redeeming qualities, which only adds complexity to their character when examined in light of the more obvious evil inside of them. See, the tragic hero has always been my favorite literary icon; someone who thinks so often of themselves and maintains an intentional apathy for their surroundings, but in the end sacrifices everything, usually in order to protect someone else, taking all that they have and putting it towards their last chance at redemption.

message 13: by jacky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

jacky I also thought that Snape must have been working for Dummbledore, mostly because of D's absolute trust in Snape, but also because of the smaller clues others have already mentioned. One of the reasons I love this series is that the only character I can think of that can be defined as only good or evil is Voldermort. Every other character shows some duality. All the "good" characters have their negative traits or secret sins. All the "bad" characters, that are mentioned with any depth, have redeeming human qualities. These books start out seemingly like what some may call merely children's stories, but the characterization is much deeper. Hmmm, now that I mention it, I wonder if her inclusion of the magic fairy tale that turned out to be true was supposed to reflect anything about her views of her own work?

message 14: by Denta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Denta Taken from JK Rowling web chat transcript. Bout Severus.
I love how JK 'force' people from hating Snape, to Loving him.

*Annie: Does the wizarding world now know that snape was dumbledores man, or do they still think he did a bunk
J.K. Rowling: Harry would ensure that Snape's heroism was known.
J.K. Rowling: Of course, that would not stop Rita Skeeter writing 'Snape: Scoundrel or Saint?'

*Lechicaneuronline: Do you think snape is a hero
J.K. Rowling: Yes, I do; though a very flawed hero. An anti-hero, perhaps. He is not a particularly likeable man in many ways. He remains rather cruel, a bully, riddled with bitterness and insecurity - and yet he loved, and showed loyalty to that love
J.K. Rowling: and, ultimately, laid down his life because of it. That's pretty heroic!

message 15: by Katerina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Katerina Capel EXACTLY! i had a great time repeting my favorite phrase "i told you so" to all my harry potter fan friends! i knew snape was a goodie, dumbledore would NEVER EVER have pleaded for his life!

message 16: by Katerina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Katerina Capel NO NO NO! if snape had healed george liek he healed malfoy in H.B.P then his cover would have been blown! is was essential for snape to stay right in voldomorts inner circle to get information to help harry.

message 17: by Katerina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Katerina Capel I also want to bring up the subject of the chapter "ninteen years later:" that chapter was so wonderful in nearly made me cry! i love it how James (harry and ginny's eldest son) came running up to everyone ont eh platform and told them all how Teddy Lupin (Tonks and Lupins child) was "snogging" a girl! branching off from that, it was extremely depressing to learn that both tonks and lupin died, right after they had had their only son.

message 18: by Andy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Andy For those who want a good interpretation of Snape, check out this essay:

http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow....

message 19: by Mehdi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Mehdi well,I liked Snape so much since first book. because his right & normal behaviour toward harry.you know if harry had been grown up as a hero with out any struggle for getting better, what would happen for him himself?
he was the only person that behave with harry like the other students, even dumbedore behave harry like special person.
and in the last book I love Snape, I respect his character.I believe this is the real meaning of love.risk your live for her or for some thing that she care. and Snape did it perfectly

message 20: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Cindy What I say about Snape is that though he wasn't EVIL, he wasn't necessarily a nice man. He could even be a bad man. But he wasn't evil. It is possible to not be an evil person, but also be a mean, grouchy one as well. As we know, he had a rather difficult childhood, as did many, but he chose to become bitter about it. And as we have also noted, it was his love and affection for Lily that really kept him from going to the dark side. I think that is J.K. Rowling's point throughout the series, that without Love you can never fully persevere, you will never be whole, and that Love truly is stronger than Evil any day.

message 21: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Kimberly I kind of thought that Dumbledore would have planned his own death...I mean, he's just that kind of person...But to have Snape kill him because he was dying of the curse from the ring was rather....dramatic, but I wouldn't want that to happen, because in that time, if Dumbledore was alive, then he could have helped Harry find the rest of the Horcuxes, couldn't he have? And maybe he would have lived to see Voldemort destroyed...

I always liked Snape, after he tried to save Harry in the first book...

message 22: by Mduduzi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Mduduzi I think Snape is the best good guy in the book. While all the others are running around refusing to do what must be done Snape didn't. He knew that freedom has a price and he was willing to be the one who payed that price.
He did what needed to be done "for the greater good" In order to infiltrate so deep as to become the Dark Lord's right hand man, he needed to do what he did.
As for Harry, Snape did love him as Lily's son. When in his memories, talking to Dumbledore, Dumbledore asks if he is becoming fond of Harry, to which Snape responds always. He loved his mother and although he hated his father, he protected harry because of that love.
Snape was probably more bitter that James whom he hated ended up with Lily more than that she never ended up with him.
Snape in many ways was like Dumbledore, both understood what needed to be done. I don't think anyone else could have done what Snape did. Maybe because he actuaaly was a Death Eater before he helped Dumbledore

message 23: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Kelly M Response to becket. Yes, nobody's perfect in the series but fluer has got to be close.

message 24: by Ray-Ray (new)

Ray-Ray I wasn't convinced after book 6 that snape was bad. I always saw some good in him because dumbledore trusted him so much. I never could make myself believe that dumbledore was pleading for his life too, it seems completely opposite than what he'd normally do. Like just before, he was telling harry that he needed to leave and save himself if he had to! I couldn't believe that now he was pleading to snape to not kill him! I knew that there must've been something else that dumbledore was asking. So i guess i was right. i must say though, it was brilliant for jk rowling to not put any emotion on snapes face during that scene, or else it would've completely given him away. It made me keep thinking about what might've been going through his head.

message 25: by Rita (new)

Rita Well, but there's something I still don't get. Snape's sectumsempra wasn't for George, it was for the Death Eater, wasn't it? So, if it hadn't missed it, Snape's cover would have been blown anyway.

message 26: by Amrita (last edited Feb 15, 2008 02:45PM) (new)

Amrita Maybe Snape was hoping that in the chaos of battle, nobody would think it was him.

message 27: by Amrita (new)

Amrita Oh yeah, to Bonnie, George DID name one of his kids Fred, its on J.K. Rowling's website.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

THE CHILD IS! Albus SEVERUS Potter!

message 29: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin i had known all along that snape was good and on dumbledore's side and had not doubted it for an instant. while some people may say that the end scene in #6 was proof that he was bad, i say it was proof that he was good. dumbledore said "severus... please..." why would dumbledore beg for snape not to kill him? dumbledore, who didn't fear death but rather looked it in the eye and regarded it as "the next great adventure..." no, dumbledore was begging snape to kill him as much as snape didn't want to, for that was the best in the end for snape; and voldemort would kill dumbledore anyway.

Peter The problem is too few of us pay attention to important legislation such as the farm bill. I wonder what Obama and HIlary have to say about it...

Amanda I think farming is probably one of those things that seems insignificant -- something easily pushed aside in the face of seemingly larger problems (say, war). If more people could read books like this and realize just how much farming legislation affects them (and especially their waistlines), we might, as a nation, care more.