For The Love Of Books discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by shana (new)

shana (shanaeileen) | 6 comments Anyone read it? Thoughts?

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 7 comments I liked it!

I had the usual problem with this one that I have with any apocalyptic story: the lack of resolve. I like my stories to wrap up neatly at the end, dammit!

But as far as apocalyptic stories go, I thought it was pretty good. He manages to not hit you over the head with the "look what humanity is doing to itself!" which is hard for this genre. And I thought the concept of "The City" was interesting - I've never heard of that belief before.

message 3: by Britta (new)

Britta | 28 comments Mod
I agree but I did find it a little long winded. maybe it's just me though.

message 4: by shana (new)

shana (shanaeileen) | 6 comments I agree, the book was probably a little longer than it needed to be. At times, I was like "yes, I KNOW, it's cold, you're gonna die, can we wrap this up?" Having said that, I really liked it. This was a book I would never have chosen to read on my own, and I wound up reading it in one sitting.

message 5: by Britta (new)

Britta | 28 comments Mod
You know ... I ended up rereading this over the holiday (originally back in July I was dealing with finding out my grandfather had terminal cancer (he died in late August) and I couldn't really deal with the major issues of death and heaven and stuff). But upon rereading, I think I honestly would rank this as one of my top 10 books. It kind of spoke to me in a soothing way about what's after life and I love the idea that we all go to a City and wait for all the people who we've ever known to join us before we move on again.

Then again ... maybe I'm just a sap at heart!

(p.s. I knew Coke was evil! Them and Disney!)