Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's July Reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Aug 01, 2009 12:54PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3344 comments I read 17 books that I started in July and finished another that I had been working on for awhile. I think this must be a record for me, at least since I've been keeping track!

One Bad Apple (An Orchard Mystery) by Sheila Connolly by Sheila Connolly: 1st in series. Meg Corey has lost her banking job and offers to rehab a home her mother inherited so it can be sold for a share of the selling price. The property comes with an apple orchard, too. When Meg's ex-fiance' turns up dead in her new septic tank she decides to do her own investigating. Nice cozy with some nice apple recipes. Grade: 6.5

Uninvited by Amanda Marrone by Amanda Marrone. YA story in which I recognized a person I was on my way to becoming as teenager had I not met the boy who became my husband. This is a dark story in which Jordan's ex-boyfriend who was really a jerk and slept with half the class (one of his better attributes actually) has become a vampire. Everyone thinks he committed suicide and Jordan is the only one who knows the truth. He comes and sits in the tree outside her bedroom window every night and begs her to let him in. Like I said, quite dark but it has a good ending. Grade: 8.5

The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery #1) by Karen E. Olson by Karen E. Olson. 1st in Brett Kavanaugh Tattoo Shop series. I just had to read a mystery in which the heroine owns a tattoo shop! Takes place in Vegas. A woman who comes into the shop requesting a devotion tattoo but leaves before getting it turns up on the news a couple of day later, but with a different name than the one she gave. She's missing and people in high places are looking for her. Liked this one! Grade: 8.5

Immortal Love Stories with Bite by P.C. Cast edited by P.C. Cast. A book of vampire short stories. This was originally released as an exclusive to Borders last year and is being re-released this fall. I picked it up on eBay for cheap because I wanted to read the stories by Rachel Caine since it was a Morganville Vampires story and Richelle Mead & Claudia Gray's stories since they also follow characters from series I enjoy. Most were actually pretty good. Grade: 7

[image error] by Lisa See. Not my usual type of read, but I just loved the picture on the cover. Very good story about 2 well-to-do Shanghai sisters in the late 30s and what happens to them when their father loses the family fortune. Follows their lives thru the '50s in the US. The atrocities the Japanese visited upon the Chinese in WWII are part of this story and it is easy to see why the Chinese hate the Japanese. Grade: 7.5

Vampire Kisses The Beginning (Vampire Kisses Omnibus) by Ellen Schreiber by Ellen Schreiber. 1st 3 books in the Vampire Kisses series and very fast reads. My younger niece wanted me to read them. They actually weren't bad, but definitely for her age group. Teenage girl and a teenage vampire boy and no raging hormones in sight? I don't think so! Grade: 6.5

Killing Rain by Barry Eisler by Barry Eisler. From his John Rain series which I am trying to get caught up on. (I know you appreciate my efforts, Cheryl! ;-)). In this one Rain is mixed up with Mossad. Good read as always. Grade: 8.5

Blue Moon (The Immortals, #2) by Alyson Noel by Alyson Noel. 2nd in Immortals series. Really liked the first one. The main character was just too stupid in this one. She IS just a teenager, but still entirely too stupid. Grade: 5

Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris. 2nd Sookie Stackhouse and a reread for the 2nd season of True Blood. This one was never one of my favorites in the series. Grade: 8

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey by Beth Fantaskey. This was one of several group reads on another board I frequent. Another YA book, but I REALLY enjoyed this book. I didn't expect to. Strong female lead character and the male lead was such a complicated, tortured character with a killer sense of humor that I couldn't resist the book. Grade: 9.5

Secret Thirst by Evangeline Anderson by Evangeline Anderson. Pretty bad erotica. Grade: 4.5

[image error] by Robert Morgan. Biography about Daniel Boone, and the one I've been working my way through for a while. Very well written. Grade: 8

Strange Brew by P.N. Elrod edited by P.N. Elrod. Collection of short stories dealing with witches. Really liked the Jim Butcher Harry Dresden story and a couple of others. On the whole, one of the more disappointing anthologies I've read. Grade: 5.5

[image error] by Karen E. Olson. From her Annie Seymour series. I hadn't read this series before and won't bother with others. Not a bad story really. Annie's ex-husband turns up dead outside a club where she's attending a bachelorette party for a friend. I am not a person who is turned off by profanity. I use enough of it myself! But this one just used the "F" word like crazy for no apparent reason than maybe shock value. Turned me off the book. Grade: 3

Dance with a Vampire (Vampire Kisses, Book 4) by Ellen Schreiber by Ellen Schreiber. Continuance of the vampire series my neice wanted me to read. Luckily these are very fast reads! Grade: 4.5

The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, Book 5) by Ellen Schreiber by Ellen Schreiber. Ditto above! Grade: 4.5

[image error] by Ellen Schreiber. Ditto again, but this actually wasn't too bad. Raven & Alexander seem a little more grown up, but still no hormone action. That just isn't natural! Grade: 7.5

Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost by Jeaniene Frost. 4th in Night Huntress. This series has quickly become a favorite of mine and this one is one of the best so far. Grade: 9

Have started off August with Desolate Angel (A Dead Detective Mystery) by Chaz McGee by Chaz McGee, who is acually our old friend Katy Munger. Very good, so far.

message 2: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1063 comments Melodie wrote: "I read 17 books that I started in July and finished another that I had been working on for awhile. I think this must be a record for me, at least since I've been keeping track!"

Wow, Melodie!

Jan O'Cat

message 3: by Ann (last edited Aug 01, 2009 03:43PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 12194 comments Melodie:
And you enjoyed most of them too! Great month!!
DD just finished the boxed set of the first seven Sookie books she got for her birthday. She wanted to read Living Dead in Dallas before season two of True Blood too. I need to try Desolate Angel. I liked Katy's books.

Melodie wrote: "I read 17 books that I started in July and finished another that I had been working on for awhile. I think this must be a record for me, at least since I've been keeping track! .... by Charlaine Harris. 2nd Sookie Stackhouse and a reread for the 2nd season of True Blood. This one was never one of my favorites in the series. Grade: 8 ....Have started off August with Desolate Angel by Chaz McGee, who is acually our old friend Katy Munger. Very good, so far.
"

message 4: by Debbie/GA (new)

Debbie/GA | 20 comments Melodie and Ann, we watch True Blood also. Since I have only read the 1st book in the series, several years ago, my question is: does the series follow the books? I remember the book being more of a cozy read, not as violent and risque as the series. Of course it is on HBO!

message 5: by Melodie (last edited Aug 01, 2009 08:44PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3344 comments Ann wrote: "I need to try Desolate Angel. I liked Katy's books.
..."

DESOLATE ANGEL is very good, so far. The main character is the ghost of a cop who was killed on the job. He wasn't a very good cop or a very good person either, but being dead has given him an insight into the man he could have been and makes him see life in a whole new way. Makes you stop and think about things a bit. Oh, and according to Katy's website, there is supposed to be a new Casey Jones book this fall.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3344 comments Debbie/GA wrote: "Melodie and Ann, we watch True Blood also. Since I have only read the 1st book in the series, several years ago, my question is: does the series follow the books? I remember the book being more ..."

Season one followed the first book fairly well, I thought, tho there was a lot less sex and Tara was a very minor character, who was also white. Season two is a LOT different than the book! For one, Lafayette was the one who was murdered! Miss Jeanette wasn't a character in the books, at all. Maryanne wasn't in the books and the whole Jason and the FOTS thing never happened. Sookie & Bill going to Dallas was part of the books and what happened to Sookie last week was in the book. There is no Jessica in the books, but the character has definitely grown on me! Lorena doesn't show up in the books until book #3, and the thing with Godric is partially right, tho in the books he went to them, they didn't kidnap him.

message 7: by Ann (last edited Aug 02, 2009 07:57PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 12194 comments Melodie:
The book and the news about a new Casey Jones book both sound good! Knowing I need to get the book from Amazon since the library is unlikely to buy it, I discovered that two recent things in my cart have gone up a total of 7 dollars since I put them in there last week. Grrr.

Melodie wrote: "DESOLATE ANGEL is very good, so far. The main character is the ghost of a cop who was killed on the job. He wasn't a very good cop or a very good person either, but being dead has given him an insight into the man he could have been and makes him see life in a whole new way. Makes you stop and think about things a bit. Oh, and according to Katy's website, there is supposed to be a new Casey Jones book this fall. "

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1411 comments Great month Melodie! Let's see how you do for August :)

message 9: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1254 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie:
The book and the news about a new Casey Jones book both sound good! Knowing I need to get the book from Amazon since the library is unlikely to buy it, I discovered that two recent thing..."

When I went to make a purchase of a CD on Amazon yesterday (the Lord of the Rings musical), I discovered that one book in my cart had gone down in price and the other had gone up. I think it turned out to be a wash. I bought only one of them with the CD. It was a figure skating bio and had been the one whose price increased.

Shomeret
JF: The Good Yeomen (Robin Hood novel)
CR: Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin