Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Lock and Key
This topic is about Lock and Key
Lock and Key Discussions > Other Books

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Has anyone read any of Dessen's other novels? Which ones did you like? Which ones did you dislike?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anyone notice the connections in this book to Dessen's other books? Here are some, beware of spoilers:

- Marshall, who is Ruby's ex-boyfriend, is roommates with Rogerson, Caitlin's boyfriend in (Dreamland).
- Ruby moves to Wildflower Ridge, a neighborhood created by Macy's mother in (The Truth About Forever).
- Nate listens to Annabel (Just Listen) on the community radio.
- Owen from (Just Listen) helps Jamie put together a CD for Cora, though his name is never mentioned.
- Also seen/mentioned in Lock and Key is Kiki Sparks (Keeping the Moon), Kristy and Bert from (The Truth About Forever), Barbara Starr (This Lullaby), and Mallory and her friends from (Just Listen).
- Nate is making gift bags with chocolate houses for a client who happens to be a builder; the builder is Queen Homes, run by Macy's mother (The Truth About Forever).
- Ruby first goes to Jackson High which is Caitlin's school (Dreamland), Macy's school (The Truth About Forever), and Annabel's school (Just Listen).
- Ruby later goes to Perkins Day, which is Rogerson, Caitlin's boyfriend's school (Dreamland), and the school Will Cash goes to (Just Listen).
-A girl with curly hair and scars on her face comes with a younger boy that has an Armageddon t-shirt to shop for jewelry at Harriet's kiosk. Kristy & Bert from ("The Truth About Forever")
- At one point, Nate is helping with his father's company by packing little chocolate houses. These are for Macy's mother's company ("The Truth About Forever")

Noelle (missnoellerenee) | 40 comments Yea, their on Wikipedia

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, but has anyone read any... got any suggestion on which ones are good or bad?

message 5: by Noelle (last edited Aug 01, 2009 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noelle (missnoellerenee) | 40 comments I like Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen Just Listen by Sarah Dessen Dreamland  by Sarah Dessen

message 6: by Mounica (last edited Aug 01, 2009 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mounica | 29 comments For me, The Truth About Forever was definitely Dessen's best book. Just Listen is also good.

Jessica (jessicajbeck) | 1 comments I'm new! I agree, though--Just Listen & The Truth About Forever are wonderful books. My favorite Sarah Dessen book (still haven't read Dreamland or Along for the Ride) is Keeping the Moon.

message 8: by Emi B (last edited Aug 02, 2009 02:35AM) (new) - added it

Emi B (emib) Im new here to Id love to read one of Sarah Dessen's books which would be a good one to start with? I havnt read any of them yet and I am eager to try one

message 9: by Mounica (last edited Aug 02, 2009 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mounica | 29 comments Emib wrote: "Im new here to Id love to read one of Sarah Dessen's books which would be a good one to start with? I havnt read any of them yet and I am eager to try one"

The Truth About Forever would be an awesome book to start with! =)

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can't wait to read the next book! Did you know one of her books was made into a movie?

Noelle (missnoellerenee) | 40 comments YEA...IT WAS HORRIBLE!

message 12: by Mounica (last edited Aug 02, 2009 08:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mounica | 29 comments Yeah, I heard about the movie just recently! But it's actually two books put together--Someone Like You and That Summer, and the movie is called How to Deal.

Really? The movie was horrible?

Kelly This Lullaby

This was a nice easy read!

Noelle (missnoellerenee) | 40 comments The movie was pretty boring I didnt get into it like the books, the scenes and stuff were cheesy.

Diane (dianes) I only read 1 other book by her before this one, Just Listen, and really liked it. I plan to read more for sure!

message 16: by Celestasaurus (last edited Aug 06, 2009 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Celestasaurus Angie wrote: "Anyone notice the connections in this book to Dessen's other books? Here are some, beware of spoilers:

- Marshall, who is Ruby's ex-boyfriend, is roommates with Rogerson, Caitlin's boyfriend in..."

Oh wow. I've never noticed that, probably because I'm so bad at remembering names. Thanks for posting that! Now I'm going to start paying attention to that. . .

London | 41 comments I loved Just Listen!!!!! I have noticed the connections

message 18: by Mounica (last edited Aug 06, 2009 01:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mounica | 29 comments Yeah, it's really neat how all of Sarah Dessen's books are connected and how characters from her books appear again in her other books. It's like all of her stories overlap and is actually one big story happening in Lakeview.

It's like in the book The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. "...each affects the other and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one."

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 30 comments I've read Just Listen and The Truth About Forever. I enjoyed them both. I'm looking forward to reading Lock and Key.

message 20: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (gqannanguyen) Keeping the Moon was my first sara dessen book and probaly my favorite. After that I like Just Listen and The Truth About Forever and Just Listen are close seconds.

message 21: by Janna (last edited Aug 07, 2009 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janna (fortunateizzi) | 5 comments I'm partial to her earlier books, probably because I was more in the target age range when I read them. But I also think they were more interesting and different, whereas anything after her first four books is formulaic. Don't get me wrong, I like the formula she uses, but it's just not as creative. So other than her first four (That Summer, Someone Like You, Keeping the Moon, and Dreamland), I think my favorite is The Truth About Forever. My least favorite is Lock and Key.

Kaycee (kayceejoy) | 2 comments This Lullaby and Lock and Key were my favorites by her and way up their on my favorites in general! I've never read a book that I disliked of hers, but of course there are least favorites.

message 23: by Sarah Urchek (new)

Sarah Urchek | 3 comments Just Listen hands down!

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I've never actually read one of Dessen's books. I always pick it up from the library shelf and put it back down. Maybe I'll try them out now.

Courtney (bookedwithcourt) My absolute favorite: This Lullaby.

Vicki As many others have said, Just Listen is amazing. I also read Dreamland, which I didn't like as much, but in retrospect, it was more of my frustration with the character then anything wrong with the book.

message 27: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Besides Lock and Key I've read This Lullaby, The Truth about Forever, Dreamland, and Just Listen.

My favorite by far was Just Listen, although I enjoyed all of them. I didn't really "dislike" any of them, except I wasn't so crazy about Dreamland.

message 28: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Looks like you can win her whole set of books here:

http://sarah-land.ning.com/

London | 41 comments Planning on reading "someone like you" next.

message 30: by Alicia (last edited Aug 26, 2009 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alicia  Gordon (aliciareneegordon) Just listen Is my favorite but I also like The Truth About Forever.

I did not like her 1st book :[ This Summer or something.... But All her other ones are wonderful!

Adriana (msbibliotecaria) | 29 comments So far I've read Just Listen, Keeping the Moon, and Lock and Key. Of those three Lock and key is my favorite. I do see the similarities though, and I'm sure as I read other titles by her I will also pick up on them. But even though it is repetitive or her style, I still enjoy them because the books I think capture a teen's voice. In Lock and Key I liked how Ruby evolved and I liked how she regained an important relationship and realized how toxic and selfish her mother was.