Bukowski discussion

Ham on Rye

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (cisforcharlene) | 4 comments I loved the way Bukowski ended this book. The image of the red and blue "toy" boxers has stayed with me. Letting the little boy win with the one armed boxer was so beautiful and relevant, wanting to be a hard ass but not giving in to that "one up for me" mentality. He let the blue bird slip out a little here I thought.

message 2: by James (new)

James | 2 comments Wow, that was one of the best things in Bukowski ever cranked out, and nobody commented on it in over three-fucking-years. Goddamn.
But yea, you're right, it was that brilliant blubird coming out.
I don't about you, but throughout Ham On Rye there were certain, some of which aren't comedic in nature, that made me give off an ironic. Like when he was fighting the jock in parking lot or smoking his cancer stick with a bandaged face or any number of other things.
Something about this book, and Bukowski's work in general, has an abstract quality to it which always slips away from words. It's either that or I need to be paiging Dr.Jung.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Szpuk | 2 comments Hi Buk lovers,
I've just joined this group and noticed that it's gotten a touch flaccid. Hello anyway.
I love Ham on Rye. For me, Bukowski's voice is so strong, and he draws on his own vulnerability so well. I've declared this my favourite book of all time in the past. Still do.

message 4: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (cisforcharlene) | 4 comments Indeed this group hasn't been very active which is a shame. The reason I've checked back is due to a conversation with someone regarding the ending of the book. I realized that I made my own conclusion that Chinaski "let" the little boy win. After re reading the ending I realize I was WRONG! I hate that. Nevertheless I did it, that annoying habit careless readers have of adding stuff that's not there. I revise my post to say that he didn't intentionally let the boy win, but he DID let him have his victory without a fight. He walked away. That's so much more to think about. What a great scene. It took me three years but I am back to this book and love and admire Bukowski as a writer more than ever.

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy Szpuk | 2 comments Charlene wrote: "Indeed this group hasn't been very active which is a shame. The reason I've checked back is due to a conversation with someone regarding the ending of the book. I realized that I made my own conc..."
It's a great ending and deserves endless analysis