Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Sherie's July Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherie (new)

Sherie Kidwell | 26 comments Death by Chocolate by G.A. McKevett (4/5) I'm still enjoying the Savannah Reid series. The author has empathy even with those who don't seem worthy of understanding at first.

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philipa Gregory (4.5/5) This book has flaws. It is very repetitive and I would have liked a little more context; however, the three main figures are compelling and really came alive for me. The English court in the time of Henry VIII was certainly a dangerous place to be.

Peril by Thomas H. Cook (4/5) This was a good thriller told from several points of view. The main character, a woman running from her past, never really came to life for me though. Some of the other characters were very well drawn however.

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama (4/5) I will stay away from politics and only say that Obama is a very graceful writer but I hoped for more meat.

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben (4.5/5) This was a more complex plot than usual for Coben's standalones with many characters and subplots. I think most of it worked very well. I always dislike some of the savage violence in Coben's books and love the emphasis on family relationships.

Survivor in Death by J.D. Robb (4/5) The murder of a family and the child who survives makes for a sometimes touching story. I did think the mystery was too easily solved.

The Blue Zone by Andrew Gross (4/5) This thriller involving the Colombian drug cartel and the witness protection program is not that well written and is full of implausible events; however, I had a hard time putting it down.

Sherie from California
Currently reading Fractured by Karin Slaugher and Innocent in Death by J.D. Robb

message 2: by Ann (last edited Aug 01, 2009 12:31PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14289 comments Great month, Sherie!
I enjoy your insightful comments about your books!
Your comment about Death by Chocolate caught my eye especially. What a nice way to look at the world, nice for an author to share that view with others through a book, and for both to make us stop and think about having more empathy for others. Thanks!

Sherie wrote: "Death by Chocolate by G.A. McKevett (4/5) I'm still enjoying the Savannah Reid series. The author has empathy even with those who don't seem worthy of understanding at first."

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Sherie wrote: "Death by Chocolate by G.A. McKevett (4/5) I'm still enjoying the Savannah Reid series. The author has empathy even with those who don't seem worthy of understanding at first.

The Boleyn Inherita..."

The Savannah Reid series remains one of my favorites. Love Savannah, her grandmother and all her many brothers & sisters!

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) Melodie wrote: "Sherie wrote: "Death by Chocolate by G.A. McKevett (4/5) I'm still enjoying the Savannah Reid series. The author has empathy even with those who don't seem worthy of understanding at first.

The ..."

I started reading Just Desserts a few days ago - ( the first book in the Savannah Reid series) and I really like it so far..! I have enjoyed reading all of the comments here about this series~

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Just Desserts (other topics)