History is Not Boring discussion

What history are you reading March 2008?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (new)

Jillian What are you reading this month?

message 2: by George (new)

George | 179 comments Desert Queen, the extraordinary life of Gertrude Bell.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica | 10 comments I'm almost done with Young Stalin. Next historicals are:

Like Wolves on the Fold: The Defence of Rorke's Drift

and

The Inscrutable Mrs. Winchester and Her Mysterious Mansion

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (Pam_T) | 48 comments I'm currently reading "Ledyard: In Search of the First American Explorer" by Bill Gifford. And after that it will be "Andele, the Mexican-Kiowa Captive: A Story of Real Life Among the Indians".

Ledyard, in his time, was as well known as Columbus is now. He traveled with Cook on his third voyage, and throughout Europe, Russia, Asia, and the untrampled American Northwest. Rather an amazing figure. He left very little in the way of records but the author is doing a fair job of working around that.

Andele was a boy captured in 1866 by the Apache, who traded him to a Kiowa family who adopted and raised him.

message 5: by Anthony, Trivial Pursuit Master (new)

Anthony (bluekabuki) | 40 comments Mod
John Adams, by David McCullough.

message 6: by Monica (last edited Mar 03, 2008 08:53AM) (new)

Monica | 10 comments My March reads I've had to switch up. I'm now reading

Catherine the Great: Love, Sex, and Power by Virginia Rounding

and

The Amber Room: The Fate of the World's Greatest Lost Treasure by Catherine Scott-Clark

I still plan to read Like Wolves on the Fold and the Sarah Winchester bio probably in April.

message 7: by Arminius (new)

Arminius Alexander Hamilton. It is going to take a while for me until I finish but I love it. Hamilton is a genius even smarter than Einstein, in my opinion. If there was a problem he would read and read books dealing with the problem then develop a solution. When the Thomas Jefferson’s crowd were clamoring for an agrarian economy he knew better.

message 8: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Catherine the Great is such a fascinating woman. You'll have to let me know how that book is. I watched a biography about her on PBS last year that was great.

message 9: by Monica (last edited Mar 05, 2008 08:20AM) (new)

Monica | 10 comments I think I also saw the very bio to which you're referring! Since then, she's been floating somewhere in my subconscious and I'm finally gonna do something about it ;> Yeah, I'll definitely let you know how it is.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  Petersen | 15 comments The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam
Actually I started it in late February, and so far my only complaint is that it is so heavy that it makes for difficult bedtime reading ...
His writing is superb, as usual; he's hardly objective but makes his lack thereof perfectly clear. The book is so full of information that if I were reading it for anything but entertainment, it would be a very slow read.