Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Marcy's July

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Lots of quality family time this month (good thing), not enough reading time (not so good). Still, it was a satisfying month.

The Adamas Blueprint by Boyd Morrison - Read most of this on a cross-country flight and thought it a fine distraction from the air travel. The story about the rights to a chemical process called Adamas and the people who die for the possible billion dollar payoff is a little farfetched, but it did keep my interest. I greatly appreciate that the author made it a free kindle download.

Dead On (A Kat Holley-Marcus Rydell Mystery) by Robert W Walker - Although I was engrossed in the suspense of the 2 main characters being stalked by a maniacal killer, I just kept wanting it to be over. I'm a wuss and this was too horrific for me. I do greatly appreciate that the author made this book available as a free download and in gratitude, will make it a point to recommend his works to people who like the genre.

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline - This thriller about an adoptive parent's worst nightmare (that the child legally belongs to someone else) kept my interest and attention even though I did not much like the main character and the choices she made. I was also put off by trivial false details i.e. it would never be 99 degrees in Miami in winter. Nevertheless, I still found myself gripped by the suspense.

Critical Mass (audio) by Whitley Strieber - This is a political thriller about nuclear terrorism which, while fast paced and scary in premise, didn't really capture my attention. I didn't find it very believable and sure hope I don't live to eat those words.

When You Lie About Your Age The Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror by Carol Leifer - Well written comical essays written by a woman whom I met at a resort in New Zealand and then later discovered to be a fine stand-up comedienne. I remember laughing lots at the dinner table we shared in Rota Rua and was not at all disappointed by the book. The fact that she focused many pages on the aging process and all that implies made me identify even more with her writing.

Cherry Bomb by J.A. Konrath - This latest in the Jack Daniels series was another winner. Since the author is willing to sometimes kill off some of his characters, he leaves you fearing for the worst and the suspense builds nicely. A quick, fun and sometimes very bloody read!

No Mercy by John Gilstrap - This thriller about a wealthy PI with a vigilante alter ego was filled with action, but nevertheless, dragged for me. I didn't especially like many of the main characters and personally disagreed with many of their decisions. I do like the author's style of writing and am willing to give him another chance in the future.

House Rules: A Joe DeMarco Thriller by Mike Lawson - This 3rd in the Joe DeMarco thriller series really kept my attention and was a very satisfying read. Joe is an unofficial employee of the Speaker of the House, an all-around "fixer", who in this book is called on to investigate a rash of apparent terrorist attacks which may be politically motivated. Looking forward to reading the next in this series!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Marcy: I am glad you had lots of good quality family time in July - being a bi-coastal family, that must sometimes be a challenge and gratifying when you are able to manage more than usual!
I am especially intrigued by your comments on the Carol Leifer book - it looks to be like something I would like a lot too. When You Lie About Your Age, The Terrorists Win Reflections on Looking in the Mirror

Marcy wrote: "Lots of quality family time this month (good thing), not enough reading time (not so good). Still, it was a satisfying month.

When You Lie About Your Age The Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror by Carol Leifer -..."

message 3: by Ann (last edited Aug 01, 2009 10:52AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Marcy:
Your comments about Look Again were simialr to my feelings. It was a gripping story. I can't imagine myself doing some of the things she did, but the moral dillema really hit home. What would any mother faced with this situation do? She had always done the right thing, but now....

Marcy wrote: "Look Again by Lisa Scottoline - This thriller about an adoptive parent's worst nightmare (that the child legally belongs to someone else) kept my interest and attention even though I did not much like the main character and the choices she made. I was also put off by trivial false details i.e. it would never be 99 degrees in Miami in winter. Nevertheless, I still found myself gripped by the suspense. "

message 4: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Ann wrote: "Marcy: I am glad you had lots of good quality family time in July - being a bi-coastal family, that must sometimes be a challenge and gratifying when you are able to manage more than usual!
I am ..."

We were fortunate enough to have 4 generations of our little family all together in New Jersey for a few days and now have the 2 daughters and family join us for some Yosemite hiking and sightseeing. Our grandsons in particular are such a joy to be with!

The Carol Leifer essays were not uniformly funny, imo, but I would certainly recommend reading the book.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments Marcy I finally gave up on Robert W. Walker. His books are just a little too "icky" for me.

I'm waiting for Cherry Bomb to come in at the library, and I can't wait to read it :)

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments I've got FUZZY NAVEL and DIRTY MARTINI in The Pile. I need to get caught up with this series.