Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Sarafem's Fabulous Fifty - 2008

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sarafem (new)

sarafem I read a lot of children's books, since I work in the elementary schools, but I will be fair and just list the adult books here. If we count children's books, I was over 50 a few weeks ago! I won't include reviews here; but I review almost every book I read if you would like to take a look through my profile.

1. The Good German - Joseph Kanon
2. Murder at the Vicarage - Agatha Christie
3. The Thirteen Problems - Agatha Christie
4. Keeping Faith - Jodi Picoult
5. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith
6. The Almost Moon - Alice Sebold
7. My Friend Leonard - James Frey
8. Mighty Rough Times I Tell You - Andrea Sutcliffe
9. Sleeping Murder - Agatha Christie
10. Sophie Scholl and the White Rose - Jud Newborn
11. They Do It With Mirrors - Agatha Christie
12. The Road - Cormac McCarthy
13. By The Pricking of My Thumbs - Agatha Christie
14. The Year of Magical Thinking - Joan Didion
15. The Black Dahlia - James Ellroy
16. Picture Perfect - Jodi Picoult

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess_chitty) Isn't Agatha Christie fabulous??? I started reading her books when I was 12. She has so many, and none of them are the same. I've read a lot of them, or so I thought, but none of the ones you listed here... Which one do you recommend?

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) How did you like "The Good German", "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency", and "The Almost Moon"?

I thought they all sounded interesting....

message 4: by sarafem (new)

sarafem I had never read Agatha Christie before and I knew I was missing out on something big, so I bought a lot of about 50 on Ebay. These 5 are all I've read so far. By the Pricking of My Thumbs was terrible, one of the worst books I've ever read (though it's rated pretty favorably overall here on Good Reads). I didn't like The Thirteen Problems, found it uninteresting. Murder at the Vicarage and They Do It With Mirrors were wonderful. However, Sleeping Murder is I think one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. So far that is my favorite Agatha Christie by a landslide.

message 5: by sarafem (new)

sarafem I loved The Good German and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. They were both great stories with wonderful characters. No. 1 LDA was probably the more light and entertaining read; I found myself laughing out loud through it. The Good German was probably my favorite though; it had a great deal of depth and history, and I grew very attached to the characters.

The Almost Moon, on the other hand, was pretty terrible. I gave it three stars right after I read it, but thinking back, I'm not sure it deserved that many. She took a big risk writing a book with such a tragic main character, and I was pretty repelled by her. I expected a lot of Alice Sebold after The Lovely Bones, and I was pretty disappointed.

message 6: by sarafem (new)

sarafem 17. Pedagogy of the Oppressed - Paulo Freire - loved the message, hated the delivery
18. The Worst Thing I've Done - Ursula Hegi - absolutely horrible book!

message 7: by sarafem (new)

sarafem I've slowed down a bit with the adult stuff and been ridding kiddo books for my students...but here are the two I've read most recently:

19. All I Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten - Robert Fulghum - surprisingly good read, very quick too

20. The Devil Wears Prada - pretty good!

message 8: by sarafem (new)

sarafem 21. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Chobsky - amazing book
22. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - Fannie Flagg - also amazing
23. Agnes Grey - Anne Bronte - another one
24. Strange Pilgrims - Gabriel Garcia Marquez - one more
25. Memories of My Melancholy Whores - GGM - another fabulous book
26. Carrot Cake Murder - Joanne Fluke - not the high-brow stuff the others might be, but a fun entertaining read that has me ready to read the rest of the series.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly The Perks of Being a Wallflower is such a great book! The writing is incredible.

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Morton | 9 comments God, I hope high-brow isn't necessary or I'm screwed! I need fun and entertaining!

message 11: by sarafem (new)

sarafem Thought I should finish out my list before I start on the 2009...
27. Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult - it was good, though Jodi needs to start looking at quality over quantity of titles
28. Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories - Agatha Christie
29. To the Nines - Janet Evanovich - love all Stephanie Plum novels
30. The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana - Umberto Eco - excellent
31. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder - Joanne Fluke - good, light read
32. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro - it was good but I don't understand the hype
33. Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult - one of my favorite Picoult books
34. Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult - also good
35. Ten Big Ones - Janet Evanovich - hilarious
36. The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side - Agatha Christie - one of my favorite Marples
37. Nemesis - Agatha Christie - not a fan of this one
38. 4:50 from Paddington - Agatha Christie - EXCELLENT
39. A Caribbean Mystery - Agatha Christie - falls short
40. The Body in the Library - Agatha Christie - good one
41. Strawberry Shortcake Murder - Joanne Fluke - good but not one of the best
42. News of a Kidnapping - Gabriel Garcia Marquez - one of my favorites this year
43. Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich - great but could have been more
44. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer - awful, drivel, crap
45. Halloween Party - Agatha Christie - my first Poirot, wasn't bad but I prefer Miss Marple
46. The Man in the Brown Suit - Agatha Christie - definitely a miss, one of the worst books I've ever read
47. Hard Eight - Janet Evanovich - loved it

I know I read well over 50 books this year though I didn't come close to my goal of 100. I'll have to keep better records in '09 so I can actually prove it.