Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Series Discussions (Spoilers) > Black Dagger Brotherhood

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Mar 04, 2012 10:36AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Author:
J.R. Ward
J.R. Ward

J.R. Ward is a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author of erotic paranormal romance. She lives in the south with her incredibly supportive husband and her beloved golden retriever. After graduating from law school, she began working in healthcare in Boston and spent many years as Chief of Staff of one of the premier academic medical centers in the nation. Writing has always been her passion and her idea of heaven is a whole day of nothing but her computer, her dog and her coffee pot.

Brotherhood Books (in order):

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward The Black Dagger Brotherhood An Insider's Guide by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10) by J.R. Ward

message 2: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Feel free to discuss the monthly read Lover Avenged in this thread :D

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments I underestimated how quickly this series would grab me and pull me in. At first all the "mine" alpha males and "brother speak" seemed kinda goofy, but honestly, there's just something about these guys. And don't even get me started on Zsadist... I love tortured heroes.

message 4: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Ah yes Z was an AWESOME read. Butch, however, will always be my favorite!

It's sort of funny too because I HATED him in the first book. I really did! lol

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments That's funny, 'cause I liked Butch in the first book. It was Marissa I hated!

message 6: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Oh I had an issue with her too but not as bad as I hated Butch lol

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments I kinda thought of Butch as a big brother figure, so I didn't mind him butting into Brotherhood business too much. His heart was in a good place... kinda. Still can't believe him and Xhex, though.

message 8: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Well my issue with butch in the first one was he kept butting his nose into Beth's business and getting in the way and it was pissing me off! lol

I see now how it had to be that way but it still made me hate him in that book:P

In book 2 I got to warm up to him a little and see a part of him that she didnt show in the first one (which was all just being a pushy type with a male ego wanting a woman he couldnt have)

message 9: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Lover Avenged

Questions to discuss:

What did you think when you read the opening chapter? More specifically what was going through your head at Rev's reactions to what he has just been propositioned and how he reacted.

What do you think of Wrath's current condition?

What did you think of so much Wrath and Beth in this book?

In regards to John and X - and the ending to the book - what are your thoughts? What do you think about the pairing/ending

message 10: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Aug 03, 2009 06:52AM) (new)

To answer my own:

What did you think when you read the opening chapter? More specifically what was going through your head at Rev's reactions to what he has just been propositioned and how he reacted.

I honestly thought, given Rev's personality and what I know of the sympath's - I thought the conflict in the story was going to be that Rev was going to use the opportunity and work against the King (Wrath).
That mindset was shot to hell of course when I read more into the first part. But that was my train of thought when I started reading the book.

I don't like it at all. I mean I get that he has other senses and that she is wanting to show that as a king and warrior of the Brotherhood that he can do his job without his eyesight.. but its not realistic to me. Blind people just don't fight like that. And yes, I know its a book and not reality but to me some elements in reality need to be kept.. maybe I am being too picky on this topic but that's how I felt about it.

I liked and I hated it. I liked it because, well its Wrath and Beth! Duh they are hot together, right?!
But this is Rev's book and it bothered me that Rev and his story were so overshadowed by Wrath and Beth.
Now I get why its there, a HUGE thing is happening with Wrath and we needed to know about it.. but I think it overshadowed Rev ALOT and didn't really like that.

In regards to John and X - and the ending to the book - what are your thoughts? What do you think about the pairing/ending

My second favorite brother is probably John. And I dont know why. Perhaps its because of the innocence.. and seeing him shattered and turn into the promiscuous man just blew my mind. I loved his innocence but it bothered me to an extent because he is supposed to be this fighter and he got hung up on an issue that was holding him back from living.
But on the other hand he turned 180.

I DO think the two are a good pairing though, damn perfect actually and can't wait for a book about John to come out, I suspect it will be the next one

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments What did you think when you read the opening chapter? More specifically what was going through your head at Rev's reactions to what he has just been propositioned and how he reacted.

After all the interaction he's had with the Brotherhood, he's always seemed to have a grudging respect for them. Plus, his little sis is mated to one. I never felt he would go against Wrath just because some smarmy glymera rep asked him to. I do admit, though, that I got a little scared when Xhex was scouting out a mansion. I thought, for like a second, that she'd found the Brotherhood mansion and was scoping out my boys for action.

I'm willing to see what happens with it. The current trend seems to be one of "times need to change for the race to grow". Phury had to shake up the Chosen, Rehv had to deal with the sympaths, and Wrath has to become a King. I mean, he's always been King, but his attentions have been split between duty and battle. This is a way for him to become the standard "Wise Leader" figure, the one who will Lead his people (with a capital L). So, I'll wait it out, no matter how much I hate to see the Original brother struggle.

Again, I'm okay with it. I like stories for the story and overall worldbuilding. I want to know what's going on in all the Brother's lives, so I don't really mind reading large portions of one's story in another's book. Plus the Rehv and Elehna action was pleanty sweet and hot, so I didn't mind waiting. It didn't feel like Phury's book, where he and Cormia are interrupted so many times I wanted to hurl the doggone book when sections ended with them almost... almost... not quite hooking up.

In regards to John and X - and the ending to the book - what are your thoughts? What do you think about the pairing/ending?

This one bothered me, too. John was like the best and most hopeful. He was compassion and strength in a perfect package. Then he got burned and lost all that was what made him a great character. Now he's like an empty alchy shell that's only good for two things, neither of which capture his attention very long. Even the action between he and Xhex was just hollow and unfulfilling. They'd better get a HEA, is all I'm saying.

message 12: by new_user (last edited Aug 03, 2009 12:04PM) (new)

new_user 1. Rehv was ambiguous enough to me that I wasn't sure which he would choose, and I think that speaks to Ward's skill. The opening line was brilliant.

2. A man with such poor vision probably wouldn't have been able to fight, but I'll give Ward artistic license. She's not the first to use the Blind Warrior trope. It did sort of seem overdramatic that such a fuss was made of him becoming... well, blinder, when he was already half-blind. That didn't seem like a change to me and thus not much of a plot, but I will grant that now he has to become just The Leader.

3. I didn't mind them, mostly. I thought their relationship here was more developed than perhaps even their own book, and it's better than the shellans disappearing altogether after they get their books, as we've seen.

4. I didn't care for Xhex at first, but now I do. Of course I've always liked John. *dreamy sigh* Not much to say about the ending... Another kidnapping, LOL. She deserves something for making JM go through that! xD *bares rabid fangirl teeth*

message 13: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I agree about the kidnapping thing.. it was like Um.. repeat of Z's situation /sigh.

I hope in John's book though that she writes it so completely different that it blows us away. /crosses fingers

message 14: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments What did you think when you read the opening chapter? More specifically what was going through your head at Rev's reactions to what he has just been propositioned and how he reacted.
I was expecting what happened. I expected him to not take the bait.

I don't know. I'm curious to see where this will go. Especially all that's going on with Phayne. If that's her name. What was up with the desk? Did he break the old one? Like it was a big deal that this old desk was coming in to the new office. What does it mean? Why did it take so long to be put in to use???

What did you think of so much Wrath and Beth in this book? I liked Sarah's answer that it's world building. I like to have them go back to someone's story that's already been "told." Even though they've had their book, they're still around! They still progress. Sometimes it irks me that they'll show one of the brothers in not their own book, hanging around or something, when, in his own book, he'd have been hard pressed to be parted from his shellan.

Is it ok to say I'm still on the fence about them? I did see the similarity between Z/Bella and this. But I'm sure things will be different when it comes to their story. I will say I'm surprised they finally hooked up. Twice. Poor JM. I was a bit saddened by how broken he is. Even more than what he was before. Way to go Thor!

message 15: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Reading your reply Amanda about Wrath and Beth I think I agree with you. I answered that I really didnt like it because it didnt seem like Rhevs book but I would HATE HATE HATE for the rest of the characters to fall away and never be heard from again. So I change my answer to that I think its great! :D

Regarding the desk, its my opinion that he never used it before because he didnt want the role of a King. He wanted to stand with his brothers in battle and feel useful (as any Alpha male does). Its why I think it was just never moved and used as he probably should have done in the beginning but was too stubborn. (Even tho it was never mentioned I just view in my mind that it was there in the back of his mind)

I believe there is a part where him and Beth broke the desk with their hot lovemaking.. Am I remember wrong? lol

This is why I believe he finally decided to bring in the new desk and that it not only symbolizes, *hey new desk because I needed one* but it symbolizes the fact that he has accepted being Blind and the fact that his role has indeed definately changed (whether he wanted it or not in the beginning).

message 16: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, I think it used to be his father's, if I remember correctly.

message 17: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Ya the prior king, and he had from the beginning an issue taking on that role. =/

message 18: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments It was interesting to find out more about the Sympath colony. Did you expect for the "king" that Lash was meeting to be not the king at all? That was a twist I wasn't expecting. Guess they really are androgynous looking.

message 19: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. No, I wasn't expecting that at all actually. That was a surprise.

message 20: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
I'd love to get in more on these diss. once I read the series. I have only read the first 2 books. I do enjoy the series but just get caught up reading other books!

message 21: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yeah I know the feeling, this series sucked me in though and I had to read em back to back lol.

Sometimes you gotta go with what impulse tells you to do! lol

message 22: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments The first two only? Then you're in for a treat because 3 is good.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments What did you think when you read the opening chapter? More specifically what was going through your head at Rev's reactions to what he has just been propositioned and how he reacted.
I was already smitten with Rehv well before his book, so I wasn't really worried that he'd disappoint me and try to off Wrath.

An interesting development that was necessary to help him focus on his duties as king.

Loved it! Loved that everything wasn't perfect, that they had problems like real people. Plus, as one of my favorite couples, it was great to spend some more time with them.

In regards to John and X - and the ending to the book - what are your thoughts? What do you think about the pairing-ending
They were actually the best part of the book for me, even as much as I loved Rehv and Elehna. We've watched their relationship develop over a couple of books now, and I love them together. They've both got so much baggage to deal with and were such head f*cks for each other that it was painful to read, but so well done. It was tough to watch John self destruct, but he's young and he'd hit rock bottom, so I had no problem going with it. I loved that we got a bit more background on Xhex, and I can't wait for John to rescue her. Whew... is it May yet?

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Just a heads up if you missed it:

J.R. Ward is starting a new series next month--Fallen Angels
Covet (Fallen Angels, #1)

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Coolest thing...

Today a guy came in the library and asked if we had any J.R. Ward on audio! I guess this series has something for everyone, right? He was already up to the third book and wanted more.

message 26: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments Speaking of men reading BDB... check this out on Smart Bitches Trashy Books Blog.

A male's perspective on Dark Lover. It's fun stuff: http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.co...

And he also created a BDB madlib:
http://facstaff.unca.edu/pbahls/BDBMa...

message 27: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I find the guy who reviews the books on the Smart Bitches site to be retarded lol..

Not a site I would recommend at all. He gets hung up on some stupid little detail in a book and then trashes it.

message 28: by new_user (new)

new_user LMAO! I love that madlib! Don't ask me why I chose these words...

"Wrath opened the door to the sound of folk. Tohr and Rhage were listening to Michael Jackson again. 'What is this bitch?' Wrath demanded.

'Groovy, my brother, it's just Michael Jackson's new album, Smarmy Bear.'

Just then Fritz came in. With a tray laden with yellow Lucky sticky tack.

'Fuck, Fritz!' cried Rhage. 'These are fucking soiled!'

Vishous came in, dagger drawn. 'The lessers are back. I caught Mr. X walloping a civilian vampire. With a bum.'

'Time to swallow. Extremely.' said Wrath.

'Whatever,' said Rhage. 'I don't care as long as I get to rape some repetitive dude.'"

message 29: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments Smarmy Bear! Ha!

message 30: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments I am coming in VERY late to this party, but I finally got a hold of Lover Avenged, I tried REALLY hard to wait until Christmas, but I just couldn't. I was ordering gifts from Amazon and I just happened to be about $5 short of free shipping, so tell me what was a girl to do??? LOL

anyways...

I was actually somewhat concerned as to how he would deal with this. i didn't think he would actually kill Wrath, but I didn't expect him to just come right out and tell him either. I love that he had Xhex take the guy out though, that was fab...

I actually think it is a good plot point, we've know his sight was getting worse, it was kind of sudden but I think JRW needed something to be able to give Wrath the kick to truly become the king and not just the king warrior that he was. Him bringing in the desk was actually a HUGE move for him.

I LOVE IT!!! I was actually starting to get irritated that each book was so focused, I mean I get the idea behind the series, but just because a Brother's book is written doesn't mean he and his shellan do not exist anymore, I hope she continues to weave more sub-plots into her writing from now on.

I agree about the kidnapping, feel like we've been there done that, but I think it might be what these 2 will need to get it together and realize they need each other. if you think about it they are similar to Z in that they are damaged and will need an extreme situation to be able to confront their demons. I have always love John and X...

message 31: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments Question: Is the BDB: An Insider's Guide a book that needs to be read??? The Black Dagger Brotherhood An Insider's Guide by J.R. Ward

message 32: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments I haven't read it, so couldn't tell you. But in case anyone hasn't read it yet, her new book Covet (Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward
Covet has the first chapter of John Matthew's book.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Jennifer "Book Huntress" wrote: "Question: Is the BDB: An Insider's Guide a book that needs to be read???]"

Does it have to be read? No. Should it be read? Definitely! Father Mine - Z and Bella's novella following Nalla's birth is worth the price of the book on its own, but there is so much more. The deleted scenes, interviews, board chat, etc. all make the book a must have for all fans of the series. ;)

message 34: by Laura Lulu (last edited Dec 09, 2009 01:04PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) new_user wrote: "Vishous came in, dagger drawn. 'The lessers are back. I caught Mr. X walloping a civilian vampire. With a bum.'

'Time to swallow. Extremely.' said Wrath.

'Whatever,' said Rhage. 'I don't care as long as I get to rape some repetitive dude.'"

LOL peeing my pants here.

I enjoyed his review--because as much as the BDB books are a guilty pleasure for me, I do find the m to be pretty silly & cheesy on occasion. And the grammar does leave much to be desired--I only read his review of the 1st 5 chapters, so I'm wondering when he starts noticing Ward's complete disregard for question marks?

Off to do the mad lib.

message 35: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) Here's mhine.

Wrath opened the door to the sound of folk music. Tohr and Rhage were listening to Judy Collins again. 'What is this shizzit?' Wrath demanded.

'Bitchin, my brother, it's just Judy Collins's new album, Smarmy Parachute Pants.'

Just then Fritz came in. With a tray laden with cheeky garanimals teacup puppies.

'Fiddlesticks, Fritz!' cried Rhage. 'These are fucking luscious!'

Vishous came in, dagger drawn. 'The lessers are back. I caught Mr. X smashing a civilian vampire. With a hedgehog.'

'Time to prance. Madly.' said Wrath.

'Whatever,' said Rhage. 'I don't care as long as I get to smoke some moist peanut butter.'

message 36: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments oh my **shakes head and giggles**

message 37: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments DarkHeart wrote: Does it have to be read? No. Should it be read? Definitely! Father Mine - Z..."

Thanks DarkHeart, that's what I wanted to know - I will definitely go out and get it!!!!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "Here's mhine.

Wrath opened the door to the sound of folk music. Tohr and Rhage were listening to Judy Collins again. 'What is this shizzit?' Wrath demanded.

'Bitchin, my brother, it's just Ju..."

Hehehe.

You want to be careful with the BDB heckles, there are fhans who would khill you for lhess.

Off to do the madlib!

message 39: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments Curious to know what everyone's top 3 favs are from the series!

Mine are probably:
1) Lover Awakened (Z's Story)
2) Lover Avenged (Rhev's Story)
3) Lover Eternal (Rhage's Story)

Though I really liked almost all of the non-Phury parts of his book (Lover Enshrined) too.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ | 7 comments Ok, here's what I think..

Honestly, I wasn't worried. Even though he always seemed kinda sceptical towards the brothers, it still didn't seem to me like he'd go behind Wrath's back and kill him.

I was a bit disappointed that things turned out that way for him. Mainly because he was pretty depressed ar first. But I'm glad for George :) Things seemed to turn out ok in the end though so I'm glad.

I was actually glad to read about them. I didn't feel so much like they overshadowed Rehv and Ehlena's story, they still were on focus and very sweet too. It's nice to read about the other brothers even after we've been through their books. The only one she consistently goes back to seems like Z, which I'm fine with. But yeah, I don't want to forget about the other brothers.

I admit, when I first read about Xhex, I didn't like her at all and definitely not a match for JM who I adore. And the way she was described, I don't know, didn't do it for me. But I've come to picture her differently now, more like a tomboy, and thanks to Rehv's book we've come to know there's much more to her than meets the eye. She's clearly been through a lot and she was ok in the book, more emotional, so I can't wait to read about her backstory. I'm, however, a bit disappointed with the change in JM.

Wow. I rambled like crazy :)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Amanda wrote: "Curious to know what everyone's top 3 favs are from the series!..."

For me it has to be:

1. Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward
2. Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward
3. Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 12 comments I made a quiz based on Dark Lover which I had finished! See if you get all the questions right!

http://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/take/2209

message 43: by Ѽ Cher Ѽ (new)

Ѽ Cher Ѽ  | 2 comments Cool quizz Carole... I got 6/10 daaaaaaah

message 44: by Ѽ Cher Ѽ (new)

Ѽ Cher Ѽ  | 2 comments Gokce wrote: "Ok, here's what I think..

What did you think when you read the opening chapter? More specifically what was going through your head at Rev's reactions to what he has just been propositioned and how..."

Gokce, about your 3rd comment of JM, I agree with ya. After I read the last book(LOVER AVENGED), somehow my outlook on John changed. He losted that innocense that I loved so much and plunged head first into the darkest dark side..ewh! The threesome sex scenes in the bathroom left me cold and discussed. He seem so used up now! Sorry! I'd like to see how he subconsiously feel about all that stuff. He is hurting, you can see that. I just feel like he will probably end up with having a threesome with his mates (Qhuinn & Blay)before anything gets good with him and one female.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ | 7 comments Definitely. He's lost his innocence, I mean, sure he wasn't going to stay the clueless child forever but there was still something about him that made him special that way. And all that stuff that happened with Wellsie was horrible and what nudged him over the edge. I'm glad we'll get to read him pull himself together.

Cher wrote: I just feel like he will probably end up with having a threesome with his mates (Qhuinn & Blay)before anything gets good with him and one female. LOL. I'd like to see that :)

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 12 comments Cher wrote: "Cool quizz Carole... I got 6/10 daaaaaaah"

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) figured i would bump the thread, since Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward is due out in the next week - how many people are looking forward to it?

message 48: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I have mine on pre-order.. AHH I CAN'T WAIT!

message 49: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) so do I!!! and I just discovered the series last year - I can't believe I waited as long as I did

message 50: by Lady Allison (new)

Lady Allison | 150 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "figured i would bump the thread, since Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward is due out in the next week - how many people are looking forward to it?"

*raises hand really high & jumps impatiently*

« previous 1