Book Haven discussion

Series > General Chat

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I thought I'd start this thread for misc. chat about series.

Such as:
-I have started so many series I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel, when I am going to finish any of them, lol
-I can't seem to say NO to a good series, so I start a new series, it seems, every week!
-I am glad I have a list of the series I am reading so at least I can keep track of the million series I am reading.

Hehe. I hope that yall can relate and perhaps share your series "misery" with me. Maybe list the series you your reading?

message 2: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
LOL Interesting Thread...

Ugh! Well I for one HATE waiting for the next book in a series. It drives me nuts. It almost makes me want to put off ever reading a series until the series is COMPLETED! LOL Now, I have vented...

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 778 comments I totally feel the waiting for the series to be finished. Like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I fly through the new books and can't wait for the next! A few years ago, I totally blew off going to vote for the presidential election b/c one of the Robert Jordan books came out the same day and I just HAD to get it as soon as I got out of class. Tells you where my priorities lie, huh?

message 4: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Aug 03, 2009 01:34AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic LOL Joy and Kristina: I have gotten so tied up with "so/so" series to fill my time for series where I am waiting for the release or waiting for the swap to come my way. That way it doesn't seem like forever!

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo I also hate waiting for the next book in a series and i always end up starting another series and then i end up with loads of unfinished series and i lose track of when the next book to each series is out. I still love series though and theres many more i want to start

message 6: by J.D. (new)

It bugs me even more than it is usually an entire YEAR before the next book in the series comes out. By then I feel the need to re-read all the previous books just to ensure I fully enjoy the new book. Talk about time consuming! LOL

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Yeah that would be time consuming! I dont think i could do that i would never get anything done lol

message 8: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) When I started reading The Dresden Files I finished them quickly...so of course I needed something to read while waiting for the new release at the time. I found Anita Blake that way. Then when I caught up with both of them, I needed a new one while waiting for the new releases of those two...and from that came the craziness. I now have what seems like a bajillion series I'm "in the middle of". And I'm finding NEW ONES WEEKLY!!! Oh lordy make it stop!! :)

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo I have that problem Elvia even though its frustrating you would be bored without them :)

message 10: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I know...I don't know what I'd do without my books. My husband says he's never seen an addiction to books until now. I can read for hours and hours...when my booty starts to hurt from sitting in one spot I switch sides or walk around without taking my eyes off the book. Very sad. I forgot to eat twice this past weekend!!

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo My boyfriend could understand how i managed to be on my 3rd book of the week. He hasnt read that many in his life. I think its a good addiction to have though :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I started a Series List with the aide of Yz in another group. She brought to my attn just how MANY series I am reading, planning to read or other. LOL. And when I finish Book#1 I start another entry on the List!

message 13: by J.D. (new)

Kenjii wrote: "I started a Series List with the aide of Yz in another group. She brought to my attn just how MANY series I am reading, planning to read or other. LOL. And when I finish Book#1 I start another entr..."

Maybe you should start a thread like that on here too! :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Joy: My series list helps me to "remember" to go back to older series I have started. I get a couple on my TBR pile and then read them together. I hate reading just one book at a time in a series. 2 or 3 works! So the series tracker helps me to recall the series I am reading (to request those on my swap wishlist) and then when I have those at home I read those.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments I have so many series that i tried to do a bunch of excel sheets at home. Still not done. don't think it will ever by done
I have one that has started series and my next book.
One that says series to start... there is like 36 and still not done
i even have one that lists the books that i own in the series

and then i have my hand written notebook that has the author/name of series/ and I list the books in order

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I tell my friends I'd be more than happy to help them sort their books. Send me your lists! I like organizing (when I have those days I can't sleep for instance). And I like having something to do at the house.

Having a list made helps but I can go off of guesses too, lol.

message 17: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I started a list at home of the series I read. Or at least the authors and the name of the series. So I don't forget to look when the next one comes out! lol
I should do a complete list - authors, series name, and books involved. It will take a LONG time to get together. I was thinking about making a bunch of shelves here for that too. I was going to go by author but series would probably be better.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic i have seen people do google docs [shared:] so that people can edit the doc whenever they want. i think that would be helpful for series.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Here is an idea of what I have started doing:

Series List Google Doc

message 20: by J.D. (new)

I started a shelf on her a while back called "waiting for sequel". :) That way I keep track of the series I am ready, and the books in those series that I am waiting to be released. It helps! :) For instance: When I finished Stargazer, I put it into that shelf to that I know I am still waiting for the next book in the series...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Oh I have wanted to do this but I have more of a separation by genre than series going right now. When I finish a series I may start a series shelf. I like having this DOC b/c anyone can add/edit. No invites or anything needed. Plus I have already seen another series I am interested in now b/c it has fae in it. I don't know much about the fae but I want to read the series and see how this author portrays them.

message 22: by J.D. (new)

Kenjii wrote: "Oh I have wanted to do this but I have more of a separation by genre than series going right now. When I finish a series I may start a series shelf. I like having this DOC b/c anyone can add/edit. ..."

Which series?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Meredith Gentry

message 24: by J.D. (new)

Kenjii wrote: "Meredith Gentry"

ahhh...

Hey, did anyone see the Meteor Shower last night?

I heard that there is supposed to be another one tonight! I didn't get to see last nights, because I went to see that on stage performance of "The Phantom of the Opera". :) I recommend that everyone should see it at least once! It was GREAT!

message 25: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Kenjii, I enjoy the way the fae are portrayed in the Merry Gentry series (besides all the sex although some of those boys sound interesting in bed :)). They have a very scary way about them.

message 26: by Adrienne (last edited Aug 14, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments I haven't read meredith Gentry series but these sound interesting.Fae eh!

Too cloudy here to see the meteor shower....:(
Oh I agree Phantom is fab...friend of mine's seen it about 15 times over the years...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I probably won't be buying the series anytime soon. I got too many going right now, but its one I look forward to reading someday =D.

message 28: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments I've ditched some series as they've either gone on for too long, or they're getting silly...either way I've lost interest.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Adrienne: Which series are they? I dunno if I should/could do that. I am only waiting b/c I have them wishlisted and then I end up starting another series and when I finally get a WL'ed book I am already reading something else. Vicious cycle.

message 30: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments Kenjii wrote: "Adrienne: Which series are they? I dunno if I should/could do that. I am only waiting b/c I have them wishlisted and then I end up starting another series and when I finally get a WL'ed book I am a..."

I hate to name them because at the time I did truely enjoy them...honest! but the Dark Hunter and Sookie Stackhouse Books.....i've just totally lost any enthusiasm to read anymore.

message 31: by J.D. (new)

Adrienne wrote: "I've ditched some series as they've either gone on for too long, or they're getting silly...either way I've lost interest. "

That happened to me with the Carpathians series by Christine Feehan. After a short time the books all felt the same, and I hated how the men were so dominant. It was like...as soon as the Carpathian male came into the females life...the female lost her personality and was completely submissive to the male. I got so sick of it, that I stopped reading the series!

message 32: by pianogal (new)

pianogal Joy wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "I've ditched some series as they've either gone on for too long, or they're getting silly...either way I've lost interest. "

That happened to me with the Carpathians series by C..."

Hi Ladies! I agree with you about Sookie and the Carpathians. The last couple Sookie books have been kind of blah for me. I was all gungho for the Carpathians when I started, but they all started sounding the same. I'm taking a break from them...hopefully they'll be better when I go back (or at least I'll have forgotten the formula). :)

message 33: by Starling (new)

Starling pianogal, until I re-read the Southern Vampires aka Sookie series recently I felt the same way as you did about the 3 most recent books. Now I've changed my mine. There was a lot more going on in those books than I originally realized. I guess I wanted more of a single story in each book, and what I got were books with a longer arc.

As for the Carpathians, I read one book that was supposed to help summarize the earlier books, and it made me realize that all the men were too much alike for me, and all the women as well. I stopped reading that series.

I also realize that I prefer Urban Fantasy to Paranormal Romance mainly from discussions on GoodReads. I never realized that they were two different things because I lumped all paranormal books together.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic How do you collect your series? Do you get the WHOLE series and plan to read them back to back? Do you "test" series and buy Book #1? Do you stop and start as you collect the series book by book.

message 35: by new_user (new)

new_user I definitely test it out with the first book, even if I'm a fan of the author.

message 36: by Jo (new)

Jo Im the same. I get the first book and if i like it i will get the others and then get depressed when i fall in love with it and have to wait months till the next one comes out

message 37: by Starling (new)

Starling I test with the first book. Recently I bought ALL of the books in a SF series while I was reading book #2. Knew that not only did I have to have them all, I was going to be reading all of them one after another and I would not want to wait.

I bought the first Karen Chance book, bought the next three almost immediately after I read the first one, and ordered the next two while reading the next three.

If I like a series I'll buy all the books that are currently out. What I do next depends on what kind of an arc is going on. I look forward to knowing that there will be more Sookie books, more Rachel books, etc. If I'm dealing with a save the universe arc I won't read any of the books until the author finishes the series.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Ah OK I see what you mean. Thanks for replying to my comment guys. I just like to see if anyone else thinkis [remotely:] like me on book issues/topics =D.

message 39: by J.D. (new)

I usually get the first book. If I like it...I buy the second. If the second one passes my inspection I'll buy the rest of the series...

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 211 comments I actually prefer to read series books and will often buy as many as possible in a series if I have a good recommendation. The problem I have is when I lend series out, I often end up having to re-buy! VERY Frustrating!!

I also love re-reading series while waiting for the next ones!

And then if I just feel the urge to jump back into that world.

Currently I am re-reading the Ender Series by Orson Scott Card and making Video reviews of each book. I am also trying to do reviews on each book I read, which is cutting way down on my reading time, but it is a really cool process.

You can check out my reviews so far at http://www.youtube.com/user/HeidiAnge...

Yay for series!!!! I LOVE them!!

You can check out my book reviews