Stephen King Fans discussion

Other Books (Non-King) > NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Comments (showing 1-50 of 141) (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2383 comments Mod
Talk about our book club pick here. Please mark all spoilers for those reading along.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* | 57 comments Ooooh I'll definitely be following along with this. I read NOS4A2 a year or so ago and loved it. Excited to hear everyone's thoughts!

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments My first question is : Do you like the TITLE of Hill's book?
Did you know anything about its meaning?
I was clueless.

message 4: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 246 comments Betsy wrote: "My first question is : Do you like the TITLE of Hill's book?
I was clueless."

Betsy, I'll be honest, it took me awhile to get it but it finally clicked.

message 5: by Hunter (new)

Hunter (huntour) | 1 comments I was watching a video review on Booktube and they pronounced it and I was like "Ohhh" lol.

message 6: by Picky Virgo (last edited Mar 31, 2017 03:14PM) (new)

Picky Virgo (PickyVirgo) I got it immediately, but I enjoy deciphering vanity license plates so my first instinct was to "sound it out".

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments But, did you know what it meant ??

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Tocyloski | 544 comments Someone will have to spell it out for me since I simply don't get it

message 9: by Hunter (new)

Hunter (huntour) | 1 comments NOS4A2 = Nosferatu (sp?)

message 10: by Picky Virgo (new)

Picky Virgo (PickyVirgo) Betsy wrote: "But, did you know what it meant ??"

Sure!

message 11: by Picky Virgo (new)

Picky Virgo (PickyVirgo) Hunter wrote: "NOS4A2 = Nosferatu (sp?)"

Correct.

message 12: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 246 comments Betsy wrote: "But, did you know what it meant ??"

Once I figured out it was Nosferatu then, yes I knew what it was. I've watched and read a lot about vampires.

message 13: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments I liked how Hill starts out with so many unexplained things mentioned in the beginning to pique your interest:
Christmasland, House of Sleep, SPOILER: Bing killing his parents, etc.
I know that this is most authors', perhaps all, technique: hook your readers from the start and they will stay with the book.
Does this happen with you? Do you "need" a hook ?

message 14: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

How do you guys feel about the open ended chapters? That threw me off at first and I'm still not sure that I like it.

message 15: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Also.. here is the Special Edition cover:

message 16: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Apr 01, 2017 05:00PM) (new)

UK cover:

description

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3018 comments ElleEm wrote: "Betsy wrote: "But, did you know what it meant ??"

Once I figured out it was Nosferatu then, yes I knew what it was. I've watched and read a lot about vampires."

I knew Nosferatu was an old silent vampire film made in German, but then I checked it out on Wikipedia, and it's even more interesting than that. The german film company couldn't get the rights to Dracula so they just took the story and changed all the names. The Stoker family sued and won. So all the copies of the film were supposed to be destroyed. Some survived and later it was regarded as a film classic, one of the best horror films ever made.

message 18: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I just found out there there is a graphic novel based off the book "Wraith". Has anyone read this yet?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3071 comments Angie wrote: "I just found out there there is a graphic novel based off the book "Wraith". Has anyone read this yet?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..."

I have! I actually bought a beautiful numbered, boxed edition of the novel and the graphic novel. I found it funny to think of this gorgeous, cloth bound book, looking so pretty on my shelf and containing something so...disturbing!

message 20: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments Question: The Shorter Way bridge was petty neat.
Did it exist only when Vic needed it?
Was it only in HER mind.... her escape hatch from reality ??

I like how the bridge played a BIG part in Manx's demise! Ouch !!

message 21: by Jake (new)

Jake (jdken99) | 55 comments Betsy wrote: "My first question is : Do you like the TITLE of Hill's book?
I was clueless."

I had it in my hands probably 5 times in my local bookstore before I understood what the hell it meant! Very interesting and unique title.

message 22: by Jake (new)

Jake (jdken99) | 55 comments Angie wrote: "I just found out there there is a graphic novel based off the book "Wraith". Has anyone read this yet?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..."

I have! Read Wraith if you like N0S4A2 or if you would like to find out more about Charlie. I highly recommend it!

message 23: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3018 comments Betsy wrote: "Question: The Shorter Way bridge was petty neat.
Did it exist only when Vic needed it?
Was it only in HER mind.... her escape hatch from reality ??

I like how the bridge played a BIG part in Man..."

I'm just starting my re-read Betsy. But as far as I can remember the bridge was a real link (shortcut) to other places. Funny, when I thought back on this book after so many years, the one really great image that stuck in my mind was Vic riding her bike across that bridge.

message 24: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments I think that you're right, Nick. The bridge only existed when she needed it and it took her where she wanted to go.
I love to think about characters and I wonder what you thought about Bing Partridge?
What qualities did Hill give him that captured his personality?
Boy, he came to a bad end, eh?

message 25: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3018 comments Betsy wrote: "I think that you're right, Nick. The bridge only existed when she needed it and it took her where she wanted to go.
I love to think about characters and I wonder what you thought about Bing Partr..."

I actually forgot about him. I thought the way Hill started out, describing him as a little baby on the happiest Christmas of his life, made him almost sympathetic in spite of everything.

message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments Total spoilage here but just a quick one. This is one of my favorite Joe Hill books. Love Vic, love Lou! He hits his dad's nostalgia button hard but he's got his own rough style. I had the biggest grin on my face when she hopped on her bike and gave us a hi-yo Silver... A big adventure with relateable, interesting protagonists. Loved. Curious if anyone tried the Fireman, though. I liked Heart Shaped Box but Fireman didn't do it for me at all.

message 27: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 153 comments I just finished this last night. I really liked the book but found the section between Vic's childhood (and teenager) to her adult life after leaving Lou a little sketchy. It was hard to get a good idea of what was going on with her that led to such a drastic change in her personality. She seemed happy with Lou; I don't understand why she wanted to leave him and Wayne.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* | 57 comments If anyone likes audiobooks and hasn't listened to this one, Kate Mulgrew reads it brilliantly! One of my favorite audiobooks. Her voice for Manx gives me chills.

message 29: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 153 comments I agree Ashley, I thought Kate Mulgrew did a terrific job although I've read others say they didn't like her at all on this book.

message 30: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments Nick wrote: "Betsy wrote: "I think that you're right, Nick. The bridge only existed when she needed it and it took her where she needed to go.

I too, Nick, felt a "bit" sympathetic toward Bing, so pathetic, willing to do anything to get to Christmasland.
Do you think that Hill's characterization is well developed?I wonder IF he will ever rise , character-wise, to his dad's level ?

message 31: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3071 comments Kim wrote: "Total spoilage here but just a quick one. This is one of my favorite Joe Hill books. Love Vic, love Lou! He hits his dad's nostalgia button hard but he's got his own rough style. I had the biggest ..."

I really enjoyed The Fireman. I couldn't get the idea of 'scale out of my mind for months and found myself staring at tattoos that were intricately wrought hoping for a "true life" glimpse.

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3071 comments I think Kate Mulgrew is one of the best readers ever, hands down. I have not listened to her on this title, but can't imagine her doing a bad job. I may have an excuse to listen now. ;-) Thanks guys.

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3018 comments Kandice wrote: "I think Kate Mulgrew is one of the best readers ever, hands down. I have not listened to her on this title, but can't imagine her doing a bad job. I may have an excuse to listen now. ;-) Thanks guys."

There are so many different voices required here, of all sexes and ages and I think she does an exceptional job with the voice of Charlie Manx who, let's face it, fills very large parts of this book with his commentary.

message 34: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 153 comments And I like the way she does Maggie's voice ... even the stutter sounds realistic.

message 35: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3071 comments I think part of why she is so phenomenal at the voices is that hers is naturally deep and almost gravelly. I hate to hear a low voiced man try to speak in a woman's voice or a high voiced woman try to speak in a man's. They end up sounding like caricatures.

message 36: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments Betsy wrote: "Nick wrote: "Betsy wrote: "I think that you're right, Nick. The bridge only existed when she needed it and it took her where she needed to go.

I too, Nick, felt a "bit" sympathetic toward Bing, s..."

I guess that my underlying question is: do you think that Hill has the potential to excel at character development "like" his dad?

message 37: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 153 comments I think he does Betsy and that it is even more difficult for him being his father's son. He has successfully become an author in his own rite. And I think his potential is great.

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3071 comments Betsy wrote: "Betsy wrote: "I guess that my underlying question is: do you think that Hill has the potential to excel at character development "like" his dad? ..."

I think he already has. He has a few novels under his belt, many short stories and a terrific graphic novel series. They all have amazing character development. I think he has the potential to get even better, but he is already successful in my opinion.

message 39: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments Karen, Kandice, This is my first Joe Hill book and I liked it. I really liked the character Lou, thought Bing was interesting, Manx an evil villain and would have liked more about Maggie. Funny, I was not so much "into" Vic's character and I wonder why ?

message 40: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I'm not reading a lot of the comments yet because I don't want to be spoiled at all, but I have to say I'm enjoying this book so much. I can barely put it down at night. The pacing is perfect. I find it very spooky.. to where I am nervous about what's it's going to be like when I get to the part where the book actually takes the reader to Christmasland (if that ever happens). This book would've been perfect to read in December. I actually recognized the name NOS4A2 right away which made me more inclined to read it since I love vampires. Has anyone noticed nods to Stephen King in the book yet?

message 41: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3071 comments Angie wrote: "Has anyone noticed nods to Stephen King in the book yet? ."

I love that he does it! He does it in all of his books.

message 42: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 153 comments I think I missed a lot of the nods to his father so I would be happy if someone would point them out to me. I did think that Vic's riding the bike at a fast pace and calling "Hi You Silver!" was a nod to IT but am not sure I picked up more.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* | 57 comments Angie wrote: "I'm not reading a lot of the comments yet because I don't want to be spoiled at all, but I have to say I'm enjoying this book so much. I can barely put it down at night. The pacing is perfect. I fi..."

If I remember right, there are multiple references Joe makes to his dad's works, along with a few self-references, a Harry Potter mention and a Black Keys reference :)

message 44: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 153 comments I picked up the Harry Potter reference.

message 45: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments I must have missed them all or just can't remember them :)

I mentioned that Vic was not a favorite character but.... I found her to be very resourceful. Her Search Engine series of books was a big hit and she needed the money as she was a single mom.
Starting to write b/c of her need of money , IMO, was RESOURCEFUL. Did YOU find her resourceful or are there other characteristics about. Vic that you liked? Do you remember any situations??

message 46: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 153 comments I liked the very beginning where Vic went to find her mother's bracelet. Once she realized she had this gift she went to find other things for other people in spite of the physical problems each trip cost her.

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3071 comments Betsy, I found this regarding nods to King's work in Hill's :https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...

message 48: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3071 comments Betsy, I found this regarding nods to King's work in Hill's :https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...

message 49: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments Thanks, Kandice = helpful information ! We certainly don't forget Derry ME, eh :)

message 50: by Betsy (last edited Apr 07, 2017 10:28AM) (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments When I tell some what I'm reading, they say they didn't know that I was into horror.
I would not categorize NOS4A2 as a horror book, would you ?
SPOILER Manx TOLD about slaughtering children in the "Sleigh House (clever), but we were never witness to one incident.
Maybe I don't know what horror really; does horror or the horror incident have to be detailed/ described in the writing?

« previous 1 3