The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > The Reader - Book and Movie NO spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10018 comments Mod
Since this is our book and movie pair, we will have 3 threads to discuss. Two spoilers and one non spoiler.....

This is place you can come to talk about the book and movie WITHOUT sharing spoilers.

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (schaubchick) | 138 comments I have not read the book or seen the movie yet. I'll have to read it first, I cannot stand reading a book after I've seen the movie!

message 3: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Reed (mreedjournals) I have read the book already, but I haven't see the movie yet. I'd like to do that soon. The book is short, sad, and almost disturbing. It's a nice read though. Hopefully everyone will enjoy it :o)

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I started the book, The Reader, having already seen the movie (which I love). I must say that Page 4 has the best written description of someone vomitting - SORRY! - that I have ever read (if one would want a well written description on that topic.... LOL!)

Having seen the movie, I am able to visualize everything I am reading, which I like.

So far (only on page 27) I must say I liked the movie better, but too soon to fairly judge.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 220 comments I was able to finish this book in one evening. I was apprehensive about reading it because there are many people out there that did not like it! I am glad I did read it though. It was a quick, slightly depressing read but a good one all the same! I am excited to rent the movie!

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Lauren, if yo liked the book I think you will like the movie even more so. I'm just about at Part 2 in the book, and so far, I like the movie much better (which is not typcially the case for me to like a movie over the book)

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I'm about halfway through and I'm definitely interested so far. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

message 8: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) I read the book first then watched the movie last year.
I like and love both the movie and the book. The movie isn't a predictable adaptation of the book. Kate Winslett truly did justice to the character of Hanna Schmitz. I particularly liked the scene when they were ordering a food in the restaurant and the camera then focuses on Kate when it's her turn to order. There was something in her eyes that conveyed Hanna's ultimate secret. It was a mix of self-pity and confusion.

Yvette (hooked on the nook) (yjacobs99) I got the book yesterday and have already read 64 pages. This is definitely a quick read with some odd characters to say the least.

message 10: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I have about 60 pages left and I watched the trailer for the movie last night just because I was curious. Just from that snippet it seems like there are differences in the book and movie. I'm hoping to finish the book tomorrow then watch the movie over the weekend.

message 11: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Moran (johannamoran) | 19 comments There is a profound difference between book and movie, in my opinion. I liked the book and loved the movie. It's almost always the other way around for me.

message 12: by Diane (last edited Aug 06, 2009 11:53AM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Johanna wrote: "There is a profound difference between book and movie, in my opinion. I liked the book and loved the movie. It's almost always the other way around for me."

Johanna, I am at about page 70 and I couldn't agree with you more. I was wondering if it was perhaps because I saw the movie first and loved it so much?
There has been one particular scene in the book, though, that really touched me that was not in the movie. I will post it on the spoiler post. And I'm getting a little more insight into Michael's feelings, particularly when he was in school and was feeling conflicted about his friends.

message 13: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) I loved the book. Saw the movie afterwards. I liked it but I liked the book more. I agree, there is a big difference in the movie and book. I think both emphasized different aspects of the relationship and different parts of the book. I was able to see things in the movie that weren't so obvious in the book and vice versa.

message 14: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 34 comments I've just watched the film having read the book yesterday. I think I preferred the book but that may have been influenced by reading that first. Kate Winslet was as enchanting to watch as always. The film does spell things out more but they generally do.

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) hi Pudwood - I did just the opposite of you, watched the movie first, then read the book. I prefer the movie and wonder if it is because I saw it before reading the book. Although I think the casting was superb, and I can picture each character as I read.
I am surprised over 3 events in the book that were not included in the movie, but I will post them on the spoiler thread.

JG (Introverted Reader) I'll just say that I really disliked this and I don't really want to see the movie now. But my hubby's a big Kate Winslet fan, so I don't think I'm going to get out of it. I imagine that she did a great job as Hanna. I kept picturing her as I read anyway, even without seeing the movie!

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) JG, I know I keep saying it, but I really enjoyed the movie much more than the book. If you watch, I'll be interested in your take on it. The younger Michael, I can't recall his name, was terrific I thought. And yes, Kate Winslet...well deserved Academy Award win.

message 18: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Diane wrote: "hi Pudwood - I did just the opposite of you, watched the movie first, then read the book. I prefer the movie and wonder if it is because I saw it before reading the book. Although I think the cast..."

I wonder the same thing Diane. I liked the book more. I wonder if that's because I already knew Hanna's secret when watching the movie. I thought the younger Michael did an excellent job though. Especially with part 2. His emotions in the courtroom scenes were much more vivid than in the book.

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Erika, I too thought the young Michael was excellent! I was surprised (disappointed) that he did not get a nomination for the role.

message 20: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Heather wrote: "I'm seriously tempted to read this one simply because people seem to be so divided on it. I'd love to see which group I'd fall in with. I've been wanting to see the movie anyway (I love Kate Winsle..."

My feelings exactly, Heather. The ratings on this one are all over the place, so I'm really really curious. I've jsut started and I love the beginning (and I liked the vomiting scene too, Diane D.! if like is the right word.)

Will come back to the threads when I'm done.

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Ha, Hayes re: the v scene. I love discussing this story, so I'll keep checking back to discuss with you (I know it had been awhile since the thread was last posted in)

message 22: by Hayes (last edited Jan 03, 2010 01:36AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Well, I've finished it. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. It was easy enough to read, and engaging enough, but as JG pointed out in her review, the main character was too distant (and I too kept picturing Winslet as I was reading). I'll post over in the spoiler thread when I have finished my review. Gotta think for a bit about this one.