Axis Mundi X discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

if the way you read someone else's words is more related to how you think than anything else

for instance there is always so much misunderstanding and miscommunication in email

i've experienced this with business and personal emails

i also notice it in these forums

for instance i am originally from the northeast (amurika) and worked in the south with a group of people in Atlanta mostly local georgians

almost to a man (or woman) over the course of several years they found one of my emails brusque or rude

i thought i was being business like

i also notice a definite different mindset in california that i'm not sure i jibe with

what do you think?

message 2: by Jillian (last edited Feb 29, 2008 01:56PM) (new)

Jillian Different parts of the country have certain ways of doing things. The area I live in there is a lot of German and Dutch influence. They are very stubborn group of people and tend to mind our own. My best friend moved to this area a few years ago. She instantly had problems relating to the locals. She noted how the people at the bar or in public weren't as friendly as back in Minnesota.

I personally have a really hard time getting along with Southern women.

message 3: by Jillian (last edited Feb 29, 2008 02:24PM) (new)

Jillian I think it's odd that every time I work with a Southern woman we end up passionately hating each other. It's like oil and water.

Emails are hard. My husband works overseas and we've gotten into a few arguments because of things misunderstood in emails.

I pissed my MIL off a few years ago because when I sent an email to her the words became larger (not in caps). The font sized changed from lets say 12 to 16. So she thought I was yelling at her and she sent me an email back yelling at me and telling me I will not speak to her in such a way. I will not take this disrespect from you and yadda yadda. We don't get along the way it is but my husband had to deal with that situation. :)

You have a lovely weekend too Tracy.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

it's something about the mellowness

i haven't quite got a grasp on it

it's also the sheer numbers

there are just too many people here

message 5: by Meels (new)

Meels (Amelia) California people are generally groovy folks, along with AZ and NM (OR and WA are the grooviest of course!). Southerners are super hospitable, but sometimes a little too nicey nicey (present company excepted of course Tracy), and the year I spent living in NY was the worst year of my life and 80% of the people were rude as hell and if I never went back it would be alright with me!

So, what does that mean exactly?

message 6: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 29, 2008 02:36PM) (new)

RandomAnthony I'm really comfortable with text but I've found that many aren't. I'm ok with talking through issues on email...I can understand if someone says he's not, but I do get pissed off when people say that there is something inherently wrong with communicating in text rather than framing the perception as a personal preference. I don't use text to avoid human contact...I'm comfortable with both ends.

I love the courtesy inherent in living in a small Wisconsin town. Teenagers hold the door for you at restaurants. People say hi on the street. I grew up in Chicago, which is a fairly courteous place, I think, but I'm still amazed by how friendly people in Wisconsin can be. A couple weeks back I put my car up on a snowbank and within ten minutes someone had pulled over to help extract my car.

message 7: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Randomanthony--

I live in WI and my friend moved here from MN and thought the people in the area I live in are rude and unfriendly. Where in WI are you?

Yeah my husband is from NY and I love him but they do tend to be rather full of themselves and rude. I've seen that when I've visited.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 29, 2008 03:00PM) (new)

RandomAnthony Jillian, I'm about thirty minutes north of Milwaukee...you know, a lot of those Minnesotans hate us no matter what:)

message 9: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Oh yes those Minnesotans. I always make fun of the way she talks.

I grew up 25 minutes north of Madison in Dodge Co. Right now I live 15 minutes away from Madison which I love.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.