2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > April - LINKS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments APRIL CHALLENGE - LINKS
Duration April 1, 2017 to April 30, 2017

Let's have a little fun linking up our books! Each task requires 2 books instead of 1.

1) TITLE TWINS: Read two books with that share a word in the title. Link is in the title.
2) REFLECTIONS: Read two books on the same subject, one fiction and one non-fiction. Link is the topic.
3) TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN: Two different perspectives on the same topic. For example a male and female's view of marriage OR a liberal and a conservative view on poverty OR a young person and an older person's view on friendship. Link is the topic.
4) BACKLIST: Read an author's most recent publication, followed by an earlier publication, and then an even earlier publication, etc. Link is the author her- or himself.
5)GOODREADS RECOMMENDATION: Read a book and then choose a book that Goodreads lists as being similar or recommended. Link is Goodreads.
6)GLOBETROTTER: Read a book in which the character travels from one place to another. Find a book that begins where the last book left off (Does not need to be exact location, but should be close.) Link is the location.

Kristin is the creator and the leader for this challenge.

message 2: by Kristin (last edited May 09, 2017 07:43PM) (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Welcome everyone! I will track participants here. I am including your original message number, in case you would like to update your original post (it's fine if you prefer to create a new post for each update as well).

Number of Tasks | Number of Books (Each task is two or more books. You may link as many books beyond the first two as you like.)

Amanda (msg 8): 2/2 | 4/4
Amanda (msg 41): 2/2 | 4/4
Brianna (msg 18): 1/2 | 3/4
Cindee (msg 50): 0/4 | 0/8
Debra (msg 7): 3/3 | 7/7
Erika (msg 40): 0/2 | 0/4
Erin (msg 73): 1/2 | 3/4
Emma (msg 61): 0/6 | 0/12
Gem (msg 51): 0/1 | 0/2
Heather (msg 46): 4/4 | 8/8
Jeana (msg 5): 0/1 | 0/2
Jennifer (msg 20): 1/2 | 3/4
June (msg 19): 3/3 | 6/6
Katherine (msg 60): 6/6 | 12/12
Kelly (msg 49): 1/1 | 2/2
Kristin (msg 48): 2/2 | 4/4 - completed after April 30
Lindsay (msg 17): 1/1 | 3/2
Lisa (msg 3): 1/1 | 2/2
Lois (msg 27): 0/2 | 0/4
Lynette (msg 52): 1/2 | 2/4
Maris (msg 6): 2/2 | 4/4
Marissa (msg 31): 2/2 | 4/4
Meaghan (msg 29): 0/2 | 0/4
Mie (msg 4): 2/2 | 4/4
Nik (msg 33): 2/4 | 4/8
Sharon (msg 111): 1/2 | 2/4
Sherry (msg 67): 2/2 | 4/4
Vicki (msg 22): 6/6 | 13/12
Veronica (msg 35): 0/2 | 0/4

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Apr 21, 2017 01:00PM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments I'm gonna go with the bare minimum and sign up for one task (aka. 2 books), please :)

Flowers for Algernon
Algernon, Charlie, and I: A Writer's Journey

message 4: by Mie (last edited Apr 27, 2017 07:55AM) (new)

Mie | 1812 comments COMPLETE ✔️

I'm in for 2 tasks, please :-)

- Title twins - ✅ The Secret Adversary ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / ✅ The Secret Keeper ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- Backlist - ✅ Peril at End House ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / ✅ The Murder of Roger Ackroyd ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 5: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 228 comments I'll do Title Twins for sure. Possible another if i find something that fits the categories

message 6: by Maris (last edited Apr 30, 2017 02:04PM) (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments I'm joining for 2 tasks :)

Just to clarify - in Title Twins, does only one of the words need to match, or more (in a longer title)?

Title twins:
1. [X] The Alchemist by Paolo Bacigalupi
2. [X] The Alchemyst by Michael Scott

Backlist (John Green):
1. [X] The Fault in Our Stars
2. [X] Looking for Alaska

4/4 || 2/2

message 7: by Debra (last edited Apr 28, 2017 09:44PM) (new)

Debra Barstad | 359 comments sign me up for 3 tasks

1 Title twins: You Are Mine and You are Mine

2. Back List: The City than What the Night Knows and final One Door Away from Heaven

3. Goodreads Recommends: Mississippi DEAD and Waking The Zed

message 8: by Amanda (last edited Apr 30, 2017 09:55PM) (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1327 comments I'm in for 2 tasks

April Challenge - Links

Title Twins

Man

1. The Third Man by Graham Greene Completed 20/4/17 Rating 3 stars
2. Man in the Dark by Paul Auster Completed 30/4/17 Rating 4 stars

Reflections

Tennis

1. The Tennis Party by Madeleine Wickham (Fiction) Completed 29/4/17 Rating 3 stars
2. Andy Murray: Seventy-Seven: My Road to Wimbledon Glory (Non-Fiction) Completed 23/4/17 Rating 4 stars

2/2
4/4

Challenge completed

message 9: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm gonna go with the bare minimum and sign up for one task (aka. 2 books), please :)"

Welcome, Lisa!!

message 10: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Mie wrote: "I'm in for 2 tasks, please :-)

- Title twins - The Secret Adversary / The Secret Keeper
- Backlist - Peril at End House / [book:The Murder of Roger Ackro..."

Welcome, Mie! Looks like some interesting books :-) Look forward to hearing your thoughts on them.

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Jeana wrote: "I'll do Title Twins for sure. Possible another if i find something that fits the categories"

Welcome, Jeana!

message 12: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Maris wrote: "I'm joining for 2 tasks :)

Just to clarify - in Title Twins, does only one of the words need to match, or more (in a longer title)?"

Welcome to the challenge, Maris! Originally I intended the title to be exactly the same, but due to it being a shorter challenge, you only need to match one of the main words of the title. For fun, if you are interested, I challenge you to try a book with the same title...but it's fine if you want to keep it simple and match only one word, too :-)

message 13: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Debra wrote: "sign me up for 3 tasks

1 Title twins: You Are Mine and You are Mine

2. Back List: The Silent Corner than What the Night Knows and fi..."

Welcome, Debra! I'm excited that you are making a longer link with your second task. Hope you enjoy this challenge :-)

message 14: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Amanda wrote: "I'm in for 2 tasks

April Challenge - Links

Title Twins

Man

Reflections

Tennis

1. The Tennis Party by [author:Madeleine Wickham|..."

Welcome, Amanda! Looks like you have some interesting books picked out for this challenge. Do you play tennis? I hope you enjoy your reads and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1327 comments I can play tennis but haven't played for a while. I'm a big Andy Murray fan. Enjoy your reading!

message 16: by Maris (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments Kristin wrote: "Maris wrote: "I'm joining for 2 tasks :)

Just to clarify - in Title Twins, does only one of the words need to match, or more (in a longer title)?"

Welcome to the challenge, Maris! Originally I in..."

I'm going to accept that challenge :D I don't know if I'll find two books with the same title as many I thought of cannot be found in my country, but I'm going to try my hardest to find something :)

message 17: by Lindsay (last edited Apr 23, 2017 03:31AM) (new)

Lindsay | 1311 comments I'm going to join for 1 link and 2 books please.

Completed 3) TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN: Two different perspectives on the same topic. For example a male and female's view of marriage OR a liberal and a conservative view on poverty OR a young person and an older person's view on friendship. Link is the topic.
Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo - The Mare by Mary Gaitskill - The Woman Next Door by Yewande Omotoso
3 different perspectives on dealing with being childless.

message 18: by Brianna (last edited Apr 30, 2017 08:55PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I'm going to sign up for 2 links, so 4 books total.

books read → 03 | 04
links made → 01 | 02

Title Twinsbone
Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

Two Sides of the Same Coin
Neil Patrick Harris Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris

message 19: by June (last edited Apr 30, 2017 10:25AM) (new)

June | 193 comments Edited
Will up to three tasks
6/6 - COMPLETED

1. Title twins
✔ Are you there, God?- Are You There, God? by Theresa A. Campbell
✔ God, just tell me what to do- God, Just Tell Me What to Do (Leading the Way Through the Bible) by Michael Youssef

2. Reflection: fiction, non-fiction : the prodigal

✔ Fiction: The Prodigal Girl The Prodigal Girl by Grace Livingston Hill this is part of the omnibus Love Endures - 1: 3-in-1 Collection of Classic Romance but I have just completed this book.
✔ Non-fiction: The Return of the Prodigal Son- The Return of the Prodigal Son A Story of Homecoming by Henri J.M. Nouwen

5. Goodreads recommendation
✔ 1. The Centurion's Wife
✔ 2. To Love Anew

message 20: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 26, 2017 09:41AM) (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 309 comments I'll sign up for 2 links. Just need to figure out which ones I want to do.

Title Twins: Night and Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream

Reflections: James and the Giant Peach and Cooking on the Lewis and Clark Expedition

message 21: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Maris wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Maris wrote: "I'm joining for 2 tasks :)

Welcome to the challenge, Maris!..."

I love your enthusiasm! Good luck!! (And if you can't find the same title, go ahead and just use a linked word.)

message 22: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Johnson | 81 comments I'd like to sign up for 6 links please.

message 23: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Lindsay wrote: "I'm going to join for 1 link and 2 books please."

Welcome, Lindsay! You're all set.

message 24: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Brianna wrote: "I'm going to sign up for 2 links, so 4 books
books read → 00 | 04
links made → 00 | 02"

Welcome, Brianna! Have a great time completing your challenge.

message 25: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments June wrote: "Going to go for two tasks for now.

1. Title twins
Are you there, God?
God, just tell me what to do

2. Reflection: fiction, non-fiction : the prodigal

Fiction: The Prodigal Girl
Non-fiction: T..."

Welcome, June! Love your enthusiasm AND your link to the monthly theme of world religions! Have a great time.

message 26: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Jennifer wrote: "I'll sign up for 2 links. Just need to figure out which ones I want to do."

Sounds great, Jennifer. Welcome and have fun.

message 28: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Lois wrote: "1. Title twins. Arthur and Sherlock: Conan Doyle and the Creation of Holmes Sherlock and Transmedia Fandom: Essays on the BBC Series
2. Reflections. [book:The Life a..."

Welcome to the challenge, Lois! Looks like you have some interesting books picked out :-)

message 29: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (immortalraine) | 284 comments Oh these look fun! I'm going to be conservative and sign up for 2 links/4 books. If I get to more than that then it'll just be a happy bonus lol

message 30: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Meaghan wrote: "Oh these look fun! I'm going to be conservative and sign up for 2 links/4 books. If I get to more than that then it'll just be a happy bonus lol"

Meaghan, I'm so glad you are excited for this challenge! Welcome and good luck. You're all set to go!

message 31: by Marissa (last edited Apr 30, 2017 07:52AM) (new)

Marissa | 255 comments I'll attempt 2 links/4 books
Duration: 04/01/2017 - 04/30/2017

✔️Completed✔️

Progress:
✔️2/2 Links
✔️4/4 Books

Links
Title Twins
Night of Fire by Colin Thubron (04/23/17)
Angel Fire by Lisa Unger (04/30/17)

Globetrotters:
Her Every Fear by Peter Swanson (04/09/17) - London to Boston
North of Boston by Elisabeth Elo (04/27/17) - Boston to Baffin Island

✔️Completed✔️

message 32: by June (new)

June | 193 comments Kristin wrote: "June wrote: "Going to go for two tasks for now.

Thanks Kristin, didn't even realize that was the month theme.

message 33: by Nik (last edited Jul 23, 2017 12:04AM) (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments I'm in for four tasks, eight books. Thanks!
==============
[17/8]

1. Title twins.
- Forever (2017.04.09, ★★★★☆).
- Forever... (2017.04.10, ★☆☆☆☆).

4. Backlist.
- Feversong (2017.07.21, ★★★★★).
- Feverborn (2017.07.18, ★★★★★).
- Burned (2017.07.14, ★★★★☆).
- Iced (2017.07.10, ★★★★☆).
- Fever Moon (2017.06.18, ★★☆☆☆).
- Shadowfever (2017.06.13, ★★★☆☆).
- Dreamfever (2017.05.06, ★★★★★).
- Faefever (2017.04.28, ★★★★☆).
- Bloodfever (2017.04.14, ★★★★☆).
- The Alpha Alternative: JZB Sex Scene (2017.04.11, ★★☆☆☆).
- Darkfever (2017.04.11, ★★★★☆).

5. Goodreads recommendation.
- Saga Vol. 1 (2017.07.22, ★★★★☆).
- Fables: Legends in Exile (2017.07.23, ★☆☆☆☆).

6. Globetrotter.
- White Teeth (Bangladesh to London) (2017.04.05, ★★★☆☆).
- Bridget Jones's Diary (London to Edinburgh) (2017.04.06, ★★☆☆☆).

message 34: by Veronica (last edited Mar 29, 2017 01:28AM) (new)

Veronica (looking_for_veronica) | 85 comments Does a book on actual Norse Mythology count as non-fiction?
Because I wanna read Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase and the gods of Asgard as fiction

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (looking_for_veronica) | 85 comments This challenge seems really creative though. I'm in for two tasks!

message 36: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Vicki wrote: "I'd like to sign up for 6 links please."

Welcome, Vicki! I'm excited that you are trying for the full challenge. Good luck to you!

message 37: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Marissa wrote: "I'll attempt 2 links/4 books
Duration: 04/01/2017 - 04/30/2017

Progress:
0/2 Links
0/4 Books"

Welcome to the challenge, Marissa. You're all set. Happy reading!

message 38: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Nik wrote: "I'm in for four tasks, eight books. Thanks!"

Welcome, Nik! Enjoy your reads and good luck to you in completing this challenge.

message 39: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Veronica wrote: "Does a book on actual Norse Mythology count as non-fiction?
Because I wanna read Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase and the gods of Asgard as fiction"

Hi Veronica, you can certainly use a non-fiction book on Norse Mythology as your non-fiction pairing! Enjoy and welcome to the challenge :-)

message 40: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikarae) | 708 comments I would like to sign up for 2 tasks and 4 books, please :)

message 41: by Amanda (last edited Apr 30, 2017 08:11PM) (new)

Amanda | 526 comments I'll join for 2 tasks and 4 books.

2/2 | 4/4

1) TITLE TWINS: Read two books with that share a word in the title. Link is in the title.
The Light Between Oceans
Between Shades of Gray
2) REFLECTIONS: Read two books on the same subject, one fiction and one non-fiction. Link is the topic. --Ship sinking/shipwreck
Salt to the Sea
In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
3) TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN: Two different perspectives on the same topic. For example a male and female's view of marriage OR a liberal and a conservative view on poverty OR a young person and an older person's view on friendship. Link is the topic.
4) BACKLIST: Read an author's most recent publication, followed by an earlier publication, and then an even earlier publication, etc. Link is the author her- or himself.
5)GOODREADS RECOMMENDATION: Read a book and then choose a book that Goodreads lists as being similar or recommended. Link is Goodreads.
6)GLOBETROTTER: Read a book in which the character travels from one place to another. Find a book that begins where the last book left off (Does not need to be exact location, but should be close.) Link is the location.

message 42: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Erika wrote: "I would like to sign up for 2 tasks and 4 books, please :)"

Welcome to the challenge, Erica! You're all set. Happy reading!

message 43: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Amanda wrote: "I'll join for 2 tasks and 4 books."

Welcome, Amanda! You are all set. We have two Amanda's, so would you mind either updating your original post (msg 41) or mentioning that you are Amanda (msg 41) in updates? Thanks so much and good luck with your challenge!

message 44: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Amanda wrote: "I'm in for 2 tasks"

Hello again! We have two Amanda's in this challenge. Would you mind either updating your original post (msg 8, which it appears you are planning to do anyway), or at mentioning that you are Amanda (msg 8) in updates? Thank you and have fun!

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1327 comments Sure

message 46: by Heather (last edited Apr 23, 2017 12:31PM) (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Hello,
I would like to go for 4 tasks / 8 books
1. Title twins: In a Dark, Dark Wood & Snowblind (Dark Iceland 1)
4. Backlist: Sister Sister & The Girl Who Lied
5. Recommendations: The Death Sculptor & Buried Alive
6. Globetrotter: Travelled Far: A Collection Of Hiking Adventures & Dead Simple

Progress:
4/4 tasks
8/8 books

message 47: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments Heather wrote: "Hello,
I would like to go for 4 tasks / 8 books
1. Title twins:
4. Backlist:
5. Recommendations:
6. Globetrotter

Progress:
0/4 tasks
0/8 books"

Welcome, Heather!! You're all set. I appreciate you're ambition. Good luck and have fun!

message 48: by Kristin (last edited May 09, 2017 07:42PM) (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments REFLECTIONS - Finished after the deadline
Link: Solitude, Nature-Appreciation
1.A Whole Life by Robert Seethaler (fiction, written by a male author, featuring a male character).
2.Upstream by Mary Oliver (non-fiction, written by a woman, featuring her own life).

TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN
Link: Overly Rigid Societies
1. Soft City by Pushwagner (Norwegian, published in the 1970s)
2. The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil by Stephen Collins (British, published in 2010s. Explores what happens when a society moves beyond its rigidity)

message 49: by Kelly (last edited Apr 29, 2017 12:37AM) (new)

Kelly (kellysrambles) | 1000 comments Please sign me up for one link which is two books!

LINKS CHALLENGE
Duration: April 1st - April 30th, 2017

Let's have a little fun linking up our books! Each task requires 2 books instead of 1.

2) REFLECTIONS: Read two books on the same subject, one fiction and one non-fiction. Link is the topic.

I will read two books that have a link in their titles to complete prompt 1!

1. The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave ✔
2. Stargazing For Beginners by Jenny McLachlan ✔

Completed: 1/1 link | 2/2 books

message 50: by Cindee (new)

Cindee | 63 comments 4 links/ 8 books

« previous 1 3