The Future Authors of America discussion

Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddy (new)

Maddy Harward | 93 comments Mod
What makes you think of fantasy? Its so hard for me to actually think outside the box, and make an interesting, non-cheesy storyline. I can only write about non-fiction, and adventure, and poetry.

How do you fantasy writers do it? I dont get it!!
~Maddy

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments I'm not really GOOD at writing fantasy, but I can tell you why I love to do it :) When you are writing fantasy, if you want to have a character jump out a window and be rescued by a glittery mist conjured up by the mystical (and extremely handsome) fairy prince, than that is OK. Nobody cares that that could never happen in real life. If you want a character to be hit by a mysterious disease that makes you turn into a troll, it's OK. Nobody cares that that is not a real disease. That's why I love it. I guess you asked how we do it, though, didn't you? I don't really sit down and think "Okay, I'm going to write fantasy!" I just write and, when the time comes, I can add something completely crazy if I want to. Also, you can write about a new world that you create. You're not confined to what can happen in the world we know. I'm just ranting now, so I'll stop. I'm excited to see what everyone else has to say! :D

message 3: by Maddy (new)

K good to know, thanks!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments Wow, Bookworm! That was actually really good. Almost like a book I just got at the bookstore and now I'm mad because I only got to read 1 chapter. Grrr... The grammar mistakes are quite distracting, however... maybe you could go back and fix those before you move on (just typos - no worries). I absolutely LOVE the idea, really good names, quotes, latin stuff. It was all great. Cassandra did come across as being a little stuck up - I don't know if you meant it that way. Perhaps you could not reveal her power so quickly. Take more time to explain the different types of powers, let us get to know the characters before you jump into what Cassandra's power is. Maybe she could not know her power until a little later when something reveals it - not at the beginning when we are getting to know the characters. It almost conflicts with their personalities to be so amazed and so vulnerable right at the start, particularly Madame Beauregard. If they are going to become teacher-like characters, they should come off as being strict and unimpressed with somebody who has little education. You could also have Cassandra know about her power but be too afraid to tell, or pretend to have another power or something. This is my advice, but this is still your story and you have complete control over it. So if your plotline works best with what you have now, don't change it! I'm actually really impressed by the whole concept of it, and I'm excited for the rest :) Write more soon! Oh, and I liked your choice of words as some points... "My milked hand jagged with a scar" That was really good. On the other hand, the wording was a bit awkward at some places like "my seemly malnourished features which I am certainly not" where you have a good concept (malnourished features - great description) but the phrasing is off. It's a really easy fix, just pay attention to it:)
What you have is REALLY good and I wouldn't put so much effort into this feedback if I didn't think you could make this story the best on Goodreads ;)
Happy Holidays and write a lot (please)

~Amanda

P.S. I absolutely LOVE the title! :D :D :D :D

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments And that was the most insanely long post I think I have ever done.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments Bookworm, you changed your name! :D I'm writing something, too. I'd like feedback on it. It's a little (well, okay, it's A LOT) weird, but it'll have a good plotline once it gets going. Here's the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/5...

message 7: by Maddy (new)

Okay. Amanda I just read your story, its very cute! I love the idea.
I would say to kindof sparkle the intro a bit, cuz I kindof got lost.
Also-you used 'pale skin' alot. It kindof distracted me, a little. Idk. But other than that, I lOVED it!!! Very cute!

(will you read my story? I emailed you)

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments Yeah, I'll read it! I'll change the "pale skin" thing, I was noticing that too. By intro do you mean the description or the beginning of the story itself? thanks Maddy :)

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments Thanks, Poema!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments That's probably a good idea :) I'm going to go read chapter 2 now

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments Keep writing please! I want more of the story, Poema.
Chapter 2 is really good by the way

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments Maddy wrote: "Okay. Amanda I just read your story, its very cute! I love the idea.
Also-you used 'pale skin' alot. It kindof distracted me..."

I just read your story Maddy, SO good! That writing style is so unique, but it fits the story and it fits you really well!!! Great descriptions, wonderful personality, and just overall AWESOMENESS
Congratulations on finishing a story (which I have yet to do) but don't stop because I'm waiting for more from you!

About Evelyn, I added a prologue to the story and completely changed the first chapter. I think it works a lot better and I only used the word "pale" once :) If you have time, just click on the link I've already posted, it'll take you to it.
You too, Poema. I tried to take your advice, will you tell me how I did?

message 13: by Maddy (new)

Amanda wrote: "Yeah, I'll read it! I'll change the "pale skin" thing, I was noticing that too. By intro do you mean the description or the beginning of the story itself? thanks Maddy :)"

YEah, pretty much. I think I want to know more about the story itself. Kindof weave the setting into the first intro of the chapter, captivate the readers attention....Do you know what I mean?

message 14: by Maddy (new)

Amanda wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Okay. Amanda I just read your story, its very cute! I love the idea.
Also-you used 'pale skin' alot. It kindof d..."

Will do. I shall comment on it in a minute.

message 15: by Maddy (new)

Okay. So what I thought of the prologue was that, It was very intriguing. I like how its kindof a mystery that will be unfolded as your story goes on. Very nice. Good imagery, and i like it alot!
(a good improvement) :)

Love,
Maddy

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments Thanks :) what I want to know is if we'll be seeing any new stories from you! Got any ideas? You are awesome, thanks for the feedback.

~Amanda

message 17: by Maddy (new)

Amanda wrote: "Thanks :) what I want to know is if we'll be seeing any new stories from you! Got any ideas? You are awesome, thanks for the feedback.

~Amanda"

Awww thanks, AManda!

Ummm, i have a few i gotta finish....maybe some ideas from you would help...???

message 18: by Maddy (new)

Poema Poematis wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Okay. Amanda I just read your story, its very cute! I love the idea.
Also-you used 'pale skin' alot. It kindof d..."

Sure!
Here's the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/4...

Its not perfect, so dont be TOO harsh on the feedback. Hahahaha
:)

message 19: by Maddy (new)

thank you!
I 'preshiate that!!!!

message 20: by Maddy (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/5...
Hey, just started a new story.
Check it out,
Its a different form of my usual writing, so dont be too harsh! Haahaha
Hope youlike it.

Maddy

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 76 comments I loved the story Maddy! Great job

message 22: by Amanda (last edited Jan 31, 2010 07:36PM) (new)

Amanda | 76 comments Liked it! You're really doing well with this story :) Write more, please

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana Nixon (diananixon) | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm a fantasy author looking for some help with editing my book:) I would really appreciate any help, so just let me know if someone ready to read my Love lines. The description of the book is here - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

Thanks a lot!!!