Beyond Reality discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments Well once again I have managed to survive the evils of chemo. This time was closer then I wish to think on. I am catching up on the reads.

I just have to say I am sorry I missed this discussion. I loved this book. I loved the way the author contrasted the relgious views with the scientifics.

I loved the way they contrasted physical science with theology. One of the deffinitons of theology has terms of the science of the mind.

I could go on and on. I just wish I was around for the discussion. Sci Fi needs more books like this

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I'm so glad you got through the chemo. Are you feeling a lot better now?

I loved Eifelheim. (I think I was the one who nominated it.) It's one of the best SF books I've read in the last few years. I think it really crosses over into Literature.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments Thanks so much Sandi for both the wishes and the nomination. I have gone from needing some one to read and type for me to actually being up and about on my own. That says it all

I have to agree with the almost literture angle. It was written well. I do think the story in the past was stonger then the one in the presant.

I loved the contrast of the two stories. I enjoyed the point that was made in all aspects about it depends on how you look at something as to whether you really see it.

If the priest had not looked at the alienas as travelers and instead saw demons great wrong would have been done.

If a physicist had not looked at the ancient readings the mystery would not have been solved.

There were other themes in the book worthy of discussion. Thats what helps it cross the line for me

message 4: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Renee --- good to hear from you! I actually didn't read Eifelheim, but I did read his latest book "The January Dancer" recently and loved it. If you're looking for more by Flynn, I definitely recommend that one.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Sadly, I never run across his books at the bookstore. I'll have to try the library.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments Thanks Stefan its good to be heard from LOL. This run was a really close one. Hopefully its the last one. I will definatly be looking for January Dancer. I usuallly like what you like and this author has delivered before

message 7: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Hi Renee,
I'll be looking out for "January Dancer" too. I really liked Eifelheim, especially, as you say, the two contrasting ways of thought of the academic theologians and the modern scientists. Have you read Flynn's book The Wreck of The River of Stars? I think it may be his best, but I warn you it's a tragedy, so if you're not looking for a sad ending, save it for later.

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments No I havent read it either. Eifelheim was my first Flynn. Now I want to read them all :)

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Renee wrote: "No I havent read it either. Eifelheim was my first Flynn. Now I want to read them all :)"

I just read this thread a couple of weeks ago and have recently purchased Eifelheim. I was not in the club yet when it was a BOTM, but I am looking forward to reading it...and The Wreck of The River of Stars sounds great for a future read also. Thanks for the heads up, everyone.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments I loved the book incase you couldnt tell. Lol

message 11: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I haven't read Eifelheim, but I read an SF novel by him called The January Dancer, which really took me by surprise - very very good. I had to unsubscribe from his blog because it was way too political (and he sounded like John C. Wright's understudy, basically), but I definitely plan to read Up Jim River when it's released.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments I just finished Eifelheim a couple of days ago. It is a good book, full of interesting history and interesting science.

**SPOILERS!!**I find the obsession with William of Ockham very interesting, and doubly so since his appearance in this book is based on his last appearance in history. According to the appendix, he left Munich on his way to Avignon at the time of a huge outbreak of the plague in souther Germany, so it is assumed, since he is never heard from again, that he died of the plague on the way. Well he stops by the village in our story and he is in robust health; soon thereafter the aliens "disappear" -- or at least some of them do -- on their way either back to where they came from or forward on their journey (the science there was a little confusing to me; but then it was confusing to the present-day theorists trying to explain it also), and the plague breaks out in full force. Anwyay, Okham's 14th century thought sort of hangs over everything in the story, so his appearance is really apropo, as well as his mysterious end. But the absolute believability of the aliens is what makes this novel special, that and the reaction of the common folk of the 14th century. A group of present-day scientists and historians stumble upon the mystery and puzzle the pieces together, and that's always fun, too.

(Are there shades of Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose Including Postscript here? Sure, but Flynn uses 14th century philosophy in such a different way than Eco does, and though Eco's murder mystery is fascinating, Flynn's fantastic elements are far more "outlandish" and therefore a lot of fun.)

message 13: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2121 comments Mod
I read Eifelheim a few years ago and I absolutely loved it. My favorite parts were the discussions between the priest and the alien when they were completely talking past one another. Two worldviews collide. It was fascinating.

message 14: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Did anyone else find that they related more to the aliens than to the humans?

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Sandi wrote: "Did anyone else find that they related more to the aliens than to the humans? "

Yes, if by "related more to" you mean "felt more empathy for" -- because, even though the aliens had their flaws and were completely well-drawn characters, you still were rooting for them to get out of their predicament. The plague was a horrible thing for the humans to have to deal with, but a sense of inevitability came with that. And the human flaws were so awful, the way that feople distorted what was happening to fit their narrow worldview, it was difficult to root for them, to be in their corner. --exceptions to that were the priest who is our hero and the presence of William of Okham -- they were great!

message 16: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Actually, I meant "thought more like". The medieval mind seemed more foreign to me than the alien mind.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Ahhhh! I understand. I think you're probably correct.

message 18: by Lareads (new)

Lareads | 16 comments Eifelheim was also great on audio - the narration was wonderful.