What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Golden Story Book of River Bend
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's: a village of animals [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments I read this one about 1974, but I remember it seemed a bit dated (did automobiles *have* running boards in the 1970s?).

It concerned the lives and adventures of the inhabitants of a village (River Bend, maybe?), who were all animals. I remember a rat or muskrat or something, and one character was named Miss Kitty (a cat, of course). Somebody (Miss Kitty?) had a car, I remember the rat rode on the running board. The inside of the cover had a map of the village, unfortunately my memory confuses it with the layout of the game Candyland.

message 2: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments Some still do. But I primarily associate them with cars from the 1920s and 30s.

message 3: by Mir (new)

Mir | 702 comments And it wasn't The Wind in the Willows or one of its sequels?

message 4: by Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.) (last edited Aug 16, 2009 02:00PM) (new)

Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.) Thanks Miriam for the to read book!

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (shumpgullion) | 28 comments Is it "The Golden Story Book of River Bend"? There's a picture of the 1969 cover on this seller's website. It's by Patricia M. Scarry, and if that's not quite right she may also have used the same characters in other books.

message 6: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments That's very likely it! I definitely had a book with that cover, and given the cat, the rat (mouse?), "River Bend", and it being as thick as I remember (93 pages), the two are probably one and the same. Thank you very very much! I'm moving this thread to "Solved".

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (shumpgullion) | 28 comments You're very very welcome! :)