European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Evita: Chapters 1 - 6

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Chapters 1 - 6 here.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I'm through chapter 4. It's interesting, but it's a little dry. I like how the author states what the myths about Evita are and then explains what probably really happened instead.

message 3: by Sera (new)

Sera Sara, I thought the same thing. The rest of the book continues in pretty much the same manner, but I appreciate the author's difficulty with the subject. Apparently, information is on Evita is tough to find so I think that Fraser took what little was out there and attempted to interpret it himself.

My father lived in Argetina during Peron's reign. I told him that I had just read the book, and when I asked him questions about it, he pretty much told me what's in the book. He also reiterated Fraser's perspective that there was a real split in how the people of Argentina viewed Evita. My poor dad - he had to leave the Ukraine when he was a child, because of Hitler and Stalin, and then he lived in Argentian during its period of upheaval.

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Omg, that's insane what your dad has gone through Sera! How long did he live in Argentina?

It's funny to think that there is so little information about someone who was born and lived so "recently". It makes you appreciate how much information is out there about the people who lived 200, 300, 500, etc. years ago!

Here's a question I've been pondering about Evita's rise to power - is it more surprising that a poor, illegitimate child became a well-known actress, or that a well-known actress became such a powerful politician? I kind of see Evita's life as being divided into those stages. It's astounding where she ended up considering what she started with.

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Oh, and does anyone know anything about Argentina's connection to France? I've never been to Buenos Aires, so I'm not entirely sure how it looks or what it feels like being there. I'm just interested that there seemed to be a bond between the two countries.

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera About 15 years, Sara. He was 6 when his family arrived there, and he was 22 when he left to come to the US.

I think that it's more surprising that a well-known actress became a political powerhouse. I think that it is more common for poor people to get discovered as models, actors, etc. than it is that someone like Evita would marry such a powerful man. It's something out of one of our Victorian novels - lol. What's really amazing, too, is how fast everything happened and then ended - really unbelievable.

I had no idea that Argentina and France were so closely connected until I read this book. There's some good stuff in this one even though it is a dry read.

message 7: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I just finished this section (I'm reading some other stuff at the same time which is why I'm slowly moving through the book). I pretty much have the same thoughts - it's interesting, but a tad dry. I'm glad I'm reading it though. It's fascinating seeing Evita becoming involved in politics. I'd like to watch some videos of her to see how she came across.