Chicks On Lit discussion

MOVIE NEWS

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbhh) There is a new movie due out soon, "The Time Traveler's Wife". I haven't read it yet, so perhaps I'll see it. I usually find that reading a book is a more satisfying process than the film adaptation.

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 92 comments I have read the book and I really loved it. I can't imagine a movie will be able to show the complexity of the story, especially because it is not a linear plot. It will be interesting to see how they reveal the plot to the viewer and if they are able to create the same relationships between the characters. Let's face it, meeting your wife when she is a little girl is a bit creepy when you think about it. But the book is able to pull it off in a way that lets the reader make sense of it all.

The one thing I like about movie adaptations is they get people reading. So maybe I won't like the movie, but perhaps someone who does like it will be inspired to read the book!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I usually prefer to see the movie first. That way I can like or dislike it on its own merits. Otherwise, I just keep finding faults with the way the movie was adapted. The book after method rarely disappoints.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1243 comments Lisa wrote: "I usually prefer to see the movie first. That way I can like or dislike it on its own merits. Otherwise, I just keep finding faults with the way the movie was adapted..." You are giving me a perspective to think about Lisa. I was bummed I wasn't going to be able to read this book before I see it. My daughter's still got my copy. From what I know, the plot is so complex and as Tiffany said, definitely not linear. Maybe I'll just be satisfied with not finding the faults!! And I can read it later and enjoy the expanded understanding!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbhh) Lisa wrote: "I usually prefer to see the movie first. That way I can like or dislike it on its own merits. Otherwise, I just keep finding faults with the way the movie was adapted. The book after method rare..."

Lisa, I have also seen movies before reading the book. They often inspire me to see how different they are. Usually the book is better and I'm pleased that I read it!

message 6: by Sharon A. (new)

Sharon A. (sharona826) | 172 comments Lisa wrote: "I usually prefer to see the movie first. That way I can like or dislike it on its own merits. Otherwise, I just keep finding faults with the way the movie was adapted. The book after method rare..."

I agree, Lisa. If I read the book first (which is usually the case), I generally sit in the movie muttering to myself about what is wrong! It doesn't always make me a pleasant movie companion!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sharon A. wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I usually prefer to see the movie first. That way I can like or dislike it on its own merits. Otherwise, I just keep finding faults with the way the movie was adapted. The book afte..."
Even if I think the movie lives up to it fairly well, I still have spent the entire movie comparing the two.

What's everyone think of the previews for Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (SarahSaysRead) Lisa,

I haven't seen the actual previews for AIW yet, but there are a bunch of signs all over my movie theater and it's definitely making me want to see it! I'm a big fan of Tim Burton, and I think it's going to be very weird but very wonderful! Can't wait!

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1243 comments Sarah wrote: "I haven't seen the actual previews for AIW yet, but there are a bunch of signs all over my movie theater and it's definitely making me want to see it! I'm a big fan of Tim Burton, and I thin..." I am really looking forward to that one as well. I admit to having an generalized and unfair distain for SOME celebrity types, but I also have to admit to finding Johnny Depp (and Helena Bonham Carter) brilliant. I didn't used to have the same level of regard until he conquered the barber in "Sweeney Todd." Stephen Sondheim scores are tremendously difficult. complex harmonies, not traditionally melodic. They have gained my respect as versatile and talented, having sung such difficult parts, perhaps not with a beautiful voices, but pitch accurate! So I really look forward to another endeavor together.

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica (Imelda85) I just saw a trailer for The Lovely Bones. It looks interesting. You can find the trailer on the Yahoo movies home page. The book was memorable and eerie! It really stuck with me.

message 11: by Holli (new)

Holli Now that would be a good movie..... gonna have to see that one!