The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > End of the World Books

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felina (new)

Felina A cousin of mine loves to read books about the end of the world. The best I could recommend to him was World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War. Does anybody have any suggestions?

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Jul 31, 2009 03:34PM) (new)

Lauren Stone (laurenreads) | 3 comments The Bible.
kidding.

I'll have to think about it.

Ralph Gallagher | 64 comments Lauren wrote: "The Bible.
kidding.

I'll have to think about it."

ROFL! You are now my favorite person!

Also, I Am Legend wasn't bad.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ralph wrote: "Also, I Am Legend wasn't bad."

I can't believe I forgot I Am Legend! I love that book!

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10025 comments Mod
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

These are the apocolyptical fiction novels that I have read.
Check em out!

message 7: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 430 comments The Pesthouse is good and the story has stuck with me since I read it last year.

message 9: by Mon (new)

Mon | 26 comments here's another one:
Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip Dick

message 10: by Lu (new)

Lu | 37 comments Becky--reading your list, I was reminded of one of the great books--Lucifer's Hammer. Loved it!

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I haven't read that one yet... It's on my To-read list as a highly recommended book though!

message 12: by Taejas (new)

Taejas Kudva (kudvat) | 77 comments Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is nominally about the end of the world, or at least our world. Granted, it's more about a perfect cup of tea....

Ooo, and to step it up, Restaurant at the End of the Universe is a little bit about the end of the, well, you get it.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Dean Koontz 'The Taking' One of my absolute favorites

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Suzanne wrote: "Dean Koontz 'The Taking' One of my absolute favorites"

I loved that book, it scared the pants off of me (the diner scene in particular), but I didn't like the predictable Koontz ending. I was really disappointed by it.

message 17: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 9 comments For an offbeat read, try HG Wells "The War in the Air". It is not one of his more well known works, but is an interesting period piece and anti-war story.

message 18: by Felina (new)

Felina Thanks everybody!

message 19: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments I didn't read this book, but heard that it was good, and it's an end of the world book:

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

message 20: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Seth, you always make such great lists.
I love when you post them for the members!!

message 21: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I read one, about 25 years ago, I thought it was called the Day After or something similar, but am not at all sure... The premise was that the state of California was the only one that survived the holocaust, but if you weren't already in california, they wouldn't let you in!

I remember reading it on a greyhound bus and looking up and out of the window in New Jersey somewhere and being surprised that civilization was still there. I had gotten so wrapped up in the book that I was expecting to see devastation out of the bus window. Anyone remember the title of that one?

message 22: by Felina (new)

Felina Hayes wrote: "I read one, about 25 years ago, I thought it was called the Day After or something similar, but am not at all sure... The premise was that the state of California was the only one that survived the..."

That sounds awesome. Someone please remember the name of this book!!

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra There's also On the Beach.

I also read one about 25 years ago and can't remember the name. It was about a scientist who predicted that the Earth would spin and alter it's axis, causing lands to be flooded, new lands to appear, etc. He had figured out the two points on Earth that would be unaffected and was trying to convince the Authorities to send people and books and information that would be needed to restart the World to those locations.
Does this ring a bell to anyone? It's driving me nuts that I can't remember the title.

message 24: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Petra, I have On The Beach, an original hardcover I found in a used bookstore, but havent read it yet.

The second story sounds cool too. There is a group here that is made specifically for helping people recover the titles of books they have forgotten.

I think its called "what the name of that book?".
Maybe you might get more luck posting those questions there? THen come back here and let us know :)

message 25: by Lisa (last edited Aug 05, 2009 10:31AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I love On the Beach and many others.

One lesser known book that I love is Into the Forest .

Edit: For young adults (and adults) I really enjoyed:
Life As We Knew It and The Dead and the Gone which are the first two books in a trilogy. The third book is due out in 2010.

message 26: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 33 comments I was thinking Swan song, The stand or 2012 Thats all that comes to mind for me at the moment.

message 27: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 33 comments Little late but Seth has a great list! Sorry I read it after openning my big mouth! LOL!

message 28: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments Love, LOVE Good Omens. It's a current favorite end of the world novel ^.^

message 29: by Petra (new)

Petra Lori wrote: "Petra, I have On The Beach, an original hardcover I found in a used bookstore, but havent read it yet.

The second story sounds cool too. There is a group here that is made specifically for helpi..."

Thanks, Lori! I posted on What's The Name of The Book. Let's see if there's a response.

message 30: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Aug 05, 2009 04:23PM) (new)

Lisa, Into the Forest has been on my to buy list since almost as long as I have been a member here. Its out of print and I havent run across it yet in any bookstore or any book sale Ive been to.

I may end up having to order it online. hmmmmm

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lori, Into the Forest is one of my favorite books. Have you checked your public library or any library? It would be worth it to order it online, in my opinion. That's a shame that it's OOP. Perhaps it will come back into print at some point.

message 32: by Lisa (last edited Aug 05, 2009 04:35PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lori, Are you certain it is OOP?: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553...

Edit: and http://www.powells.com/biblio/0553379... . This one is used, but the Amazon one looks new and it's not from their marketplace, so it looks in print.

Anyway, it is available. Most bookstores, and all that sell used books, would be able to order a copy.

message 33: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lisa, I thought I read somewhere it was. I could only find it used online. However, since I just splurged, this one will have to wait awhile :)
Thanks for the link tho!!