The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > new to running

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taejas (new)

Taejas Kudva (kudvat) | 77 comments So I've taken up running and am looking for a few good books about it. Instructional or inspirational, either way.

I wasn't a high school athlete but I was comfortably trim. Time and bad eating habits changed that, but it wasn't until our 6th grade vs. faculty game at the end of the school year that I realized, oh my, I need to do something right freakin' now. I don't mind losing to my students (that's kind of the point, isn't it?) but it suddenly occured to me that if there was an emergency with my family or my students and I couldn't cope with it due to my fitnss level, I would never be able to live with myself.

I've got a few health issues -- flat feet, asthma, genetically bad knees -- but my biggest problem has always been laziness and a general dislike of exertion. Funny how right-freakin'-now didn't really roll around until July. :)

Anyway, near the end of June my brother-in-law put me on to a cool running program called Couch to 5K,, which I heartily recommend to beginning runners, btw, though that's based purely on my experience with it. Basically, it starts you off slow and builds you up over 9 weeks, and I just finished the fourth week of the program.

Long story short, I've hit that stage where next week's runs are looking intimidating (though if you're physically fit, you might be shocked by what is scary to folk who aren't), my knees are finally starting to feel some strain, and I'm looking for some books to help me keep at it and keep healthy.

So far, a my buddy's chiropractor recommended Chi Running to him and Chris passed the info on to me, but things with which to continue would always be great.

Help! :)

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra I found Runner's World Running for Mortals A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life with Running very helpful. It had a lot of down-to-earth tips and ideas to help a beginner runner.
I want to reread it again soon as I've slipped into laziness again and need encouragement to get started.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 177 comments Taejas,
Wow! Your lettr is so inspiring!
I can offer the only help I know how to give, and that is a prayer to our Lord for Him to guide you to just the things you need, to give you the proper motivation, and will power to take this to the next level, and kindness when you hurt. :)
Peace be unto you,
Sharon

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9781 comments Mod
Taejas...
You speak what I think. Ha! I have been accepting the extra pounds Ive aquired over the years as "mommy fat" and even went as far as joining a gym last year for about 6 months. I am the type of person who needs to see results now!!! So I got fed up with all the work I was putting in and the little to no results I was seeing.

I wish I had the strength and willingness to get out there and excerise like you! I wish you lots of luck. I'll be cheering for you while sitting my ass down on the couch reading my book... he he he!!

message 5: by Taejas (new)

Taejas Kudva (kudvat) | 77 comments Hey Lori, that's what audiobooks and mp3 players are for! :)

Thanks for the recommendation, Petra. I'll check it out.

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina Another really good book is The Runner's Handbook The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners by Bob Glover. It covers everything you'd need to know about starting to run, mainly working up your endurance. There's even a chapter in there about how to buy the right kind of running shoes. Its very comprehensive. And if you ever get to the point where you want to compete there is a step by step guide for training for that as well.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 212 comments taejas, i dont know of any books off of the top of my head, but as someone who used to be a runner (college got in the way of that) and who is trying to get back into shape, i would say learn to love the pain. i find it exhilarating to push myself to run thru the shin splints and the cramps and even if i have to go slow i have a distance goal that i MUST meet before i can stop. and the endorphins dont hurt either! good luck with your running!