The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Best Short Novels?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So I've been going to school and I really don't have much time to read great long novels because I'd be reading them for months.. So does anyone know any good short novels, not like short stories something a bit longer than that. I'm looking for good books about 200-400 pages long. Any suggestions? :)

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 176 comments HI Brenda Sue,
I love the name Egg Harbour! (I put a "U" in to be British :) What is the history of the name Egg Harbor?
I am an Author, I hope you will click onto my picture, and read more. The book I have out is 212 pages long - and extremely interesting, cause the events are true! Each chapter a few pages, complete in itself, yet the entire story comes together in one supernatural mystical miracle that only God could do!
What are you studying at school Brenda Sue?
:) Sharon

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I'm not sure what you like to read but if you are in school you may be interested in some fluff as a break. I find Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series to be great for that! Another light choice would be Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series.

Or The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a nice quick read.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren wrote: "I'm not sure what you like to read but if you are in school you may be interested in some fluff as a break. I find Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series to be great for that! Another light choice..."

you know i was just thinking of the stephanie plum series and the sookie stackhouse series (since i watch true blood) haha. but unfortunately my library doesn't carry them in order, which i hate!

thank you for the recommendations.

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Jul 31, 2009 02:35PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10060 comments Mod
Brenda Sue,
I was going to say Sookie.. hee hee. Those are really quick reads. Here are some others I that go pretty quickly:

A Spot of Bother - Haddon
The Road - McCarthy
Come Closer -Gran
As She Climbed Across the Table - Lethem
Dexter Series - Lindsay
Odd Thomas series - Koontz

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) | 166 comments Punk Land by Carlton Mellick III is the most fun you'll ever find in a short read.

Oh, besides my tiny book.

message 7: by John (new)

John Burns I wouldnt call 200-400 short. I'd say its a fairly standard length for a novel.
Below 250 is my own definition of a short book.
Here are the best:
The End of Eternity
The Call of the Wild
The Drowned World
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Down and Out in Paris and London
Ask the Dust
My Life and Hard Times
Fight Club A Novel
Fahrenheit 451

And don't forget graphic novels. You'll get through those just as fast:

Watchmen
Blankets

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 137 comments I would recommed the following:
Ella Minnow Pea A Novel in Letters
The Uncommon Reader A Novella
Maisie Dobbs and the rest of the books in this series
and the The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.