Readers and Reading discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
GENERAL CONVERSATION > August chat

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 1608 comments Mod
I am closing the July chat tomorrow...so post "chat" here

message 2: by Sue/Gazebo316 (new)

Sue/Gazebo316 (SueGazebo316) | 49 comments good morning! I've not posted in quite awhile (JoAnn reminds me). I've been enjoying summer but sorry it's not a bit warmer here in the Upper Peninsula. Mid seventies and sunny is pleasant but it's not warming up the lake fast enough for me to get some good lake swimming in. The nights are still in the fifties.
This morning my DH and I went to the marina to wave goodbye to my cousin who is beginning his long sail to the Carribean on his 37 foot sailboat. I joined him for a few long legs of his last long trip and will do that again. I was envious this morning as he sailed off without me.

Glad to see you again, Sue. Have you had the grandkids at the lake a lot?

When will you join your cousin?

message 4: by Sue/Gazebo316 (new)

Sue/Gazebo316 (SueGazebo316) | 49 comments we've not even been at our lake place much this summer. Many projects in town and cool (chilly) weather dampened our usual enthusiasm. But, we've had grandchildren anyway. Many last night at our street's annual block party.

message 5: by BurgendyA (new)

BurgendyA | 22 comments Sue/Gazebo316 wrote: "we've not even been at our lake place much this summer. Many projects in town and cool (chilly) weather dampened our usual enthusiasm. But, we've had grandchildren anyway. Many last night at our..."

That sounds sweet & fun. =)~

message 6: by Carole (new)

Carole Nabozny | 8 comments Hello everyone.. I am so happy to have found this place, with the help of Lois, Kriverbend.. Some of you may remember me from the old "Book Nook People" on the AOL message boards.. When I stopped using AOL as my browser, I also got away from the message boards, and lost touch with a lot of people. I remember the days of chat rooms, I was an attendee at the first Upstate New York sleepover, with Carole #2, and Carole #3, YankeeNana, etc.. Such good memories! Hope to be a regular here now that I have found you. Lois tells me some of your names have been changed (perhaps to protect the innocent? LOL!), so please remind me. Looking forward to some great book talk and friendly chats.
Carole # from Upstate New York!

Carole, so good to see you here! Make yourself at home. The more you post and poke around, the easier this new home will become for you. And no one is giving grades! LOL

Some of use use our "real" name and our AOL name so we are easily identified. If anyone is not doing that and would like to take the time to do so, that would be great!

message 8: by Carole (new)

Carole Nabozny | 8 comments The Garden of Last Days A Novel by Andre Dubus III

Took this book on vacation with me, finished it in two nights, just couldn't put it down..Written by Andre Dubus,who wrote "House of Sand and Fog", one of my favorites.
Thanks for the warm welcome! Still finding my way around, but love seeing all the familiar names AND FACES!

message 9: by Sue/Gazebo316 (new)

Sue/Gazebo316 (SueGazebo316) | 49 comments Carole, forgive me but I don't know which of the Carole's you were on our old Booknook. Could you post the name you used then, please?

message 10: by Carole (new)

Carole Nabozny | 8 comments Sue/Gazebo316 wrote: "Carole, forgive me but I don't know which of the Carole's you were on our old Booknook. Could you post the name you used then, please?"

I was Carole #1 from Upstate New York.. You and I actually had a very lengthy correspondence about my childhood and adoption, and my search for my family.. My sister Pam was also a "Book Nooker".. I still have hard copies of all the letters we sent back and forth..

message 11: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments Hi Carole #1 from upstate New York - nice to see you here. I haven't read House of Sand and Fog, but thought the movie was wonderful. I've added The Garden of Last Days to my list of next buys.

message 12: by Sue/Gazebo316 (new)

Sue/Gazebo316 (SueGazebo316) | 49 comments ahh, Carole, I hoped it was you but didn't you use another name, your email name, maybe? I remember our "conversations" well. They were never quite completed. I'm delighted to see you here.

message 13: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments Sue - when are you going on your sailing trip and what leg of the journey will you sail?

message 14: by Sue/Gazebo316 (new)

Sue/Gazebo316 (SueGazebo316) | 49 comments I have no immediate plans. He'll be sailing for quite a long time so I can wait. Maybe I'll join him (my cousin) when he reaches the Carribean. I'm doing the books for some of his business while he's gone, for the next eight months or so, so he isn't anxious for me to leave that yet.
But I know the crew isn't eating as well without me in the galley. The legs they're sailing right now I've done before, I'll wait for something new.

message 15: by Carole (new)

Carole Nabozny | 8 comments Yes, Sue, my email name was (and still is) e1boz@aol.com

message 16: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments Sue/Gazebo316 wrote: "I have no immediate plans. He'll be sailing for quite a long time so I can wait. Maybe I'll join him (my cousin) when he reaches the Carribean. I'm doing the books for some of his business while..."

Thank you. I remember your mentioning it when he left, so I was curious about what you had to look forward to. I'll bet they do miss your cooking :)

message 17: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments I've been reading reviews and first pages of books on Amazon getting ready for a bookstore visit with my long list culled from our board over the last several weeks. I read the brief review of School of Essential Ingredients and thought it sounded interesting, so I went to the first page. The first line read, "Lillian had been 4 years old . . . ." "had been"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't read another word. It's still painful for me to even look at the sentence. So, that one's off my list.

message 18: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

The first line read, "Lillian had been 4 years old . . . ." "had been"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't read another word.
========================

When I was doing editing, this was a sin....why do authors employ this usage?

I finished this book, but was not really impressed. I only read it for the "food talk"!

message 19: by Schmerguls (new)

Schmerguls | 257 comments What I Read in August 30 Years Ago (1979)

1530 The Idiot, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky translated by David Magarschack (read 3 Aug 1979) This book, read while on a trip to Europe, was not at all what I expected. It was really heavy going, and, though I am supposedly much better attuned to the meaning of great literature now than previously, I felt the book evinced its 1869 composition date much more than Crime and Punishment (read when I was practically uneducated: 1948) and The Brothers Karamazov. The book was full of talk, and some of the characters never came alive for me. And I felt the idiot was such, and saw nothing of Christ in him--in fact, his diatribe against Christ's Church as far as I was concerned made him most un-Christ-like.

1531 Burr A Novel by Gore Vidal (read 7 Aug 1979) I started this back in 1974 and only finished it now. I despised the stupid brat who told the story, though the historical aspects of the book were of some interest. I am convinced Washington was not the boor the book portrayed him as, nor was Jefferson. Eight volumes of Freeman's biography and Malone's five or more on Jefferson must have left some residue in my sieve-like mind.

1532 The Life and Times of William Howard Taft: A Biography Volume Two, by Henry F. Pringle (read 23 Aug 1979) This covers Taft's life from 1912 to March 8, 1930, the day he died. It was poorly organized, naive, and just a lousy biography. Its coverage of Taft's Chief Justiceship was hopelessly laymanic and sophomoric. Why did I read such poorly written books?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.

message 20: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Schmerguls wrote: "Why did I read such poorly written books?"

Because 30 years ago, and even now, you finish everything you start. LOL LOL

message 21: by Schmerguls (new)

Schmerguls | 257 comments You are right, JoAnn. But that policy has saved me from missing some really good books which after 50 pages still had not caught me, but did thereafter. Actually, there are a few books I started but did not finish, but I still feel guilty and and may finish,or re-start, them. A good example is The Oregon Trail, which I started when I was in high school but stopped reading at page 60. I finally did (in June 2006)read the entire book, and derived satisfaction from that even though I did not think over-all it was such a great book. But at least I now know what to think of it....

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) Bunny, I have a personal rule that says exclamation points are like jalapenos; one is enough for spice, lots are just unbearable.

message 23: by Bunny (last edited Aug 18, 2009 12:20PM) (new)

Bunny | 254 comments Sherry (sethurner) wrote: "Bunny, I have a personal rule that says exclamation points are like jalapenos; one is enough for spice, lots are just unbearable."

You must hate my posts, Sherry. I find multiple exclamation points irresistable, even though I know it's horrible writing.
Oh, shoot - now I'm never going to be able to do it again :(

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) Sorry Bunny, it's the English teacher in me. Feel free to do exactly as you please.

message 25: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Bunny, I was an English teacher too...and an editor...and I love your exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 26: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Bunny, I was an English teacher too...and an editor...and I love your exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well, the editor and English major in me screams every time I do it - but that doesn't stop me! Of course I'd be drummed out of any English class if I used one much less five. "The sentence should convey the emotion without need of exclamation points." I remember, I do - I just don't follow anymore.

message 27: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Bunny wrote: "Well, the editor and English major in me screams every time I do it - but that doesn't stop me! Of course I'd be drummed out of any English class if I used one much less five. "The sentence should convey the emotion without need of exclamation points." I remember, I do - I just don't follow anymore. ..."

If I worried about following all the rules here, I would never post - I would feel too nervous about doing something wrong. We give no grades and this is not a class out of which we could get "drummed". Thank goodness!!!!!

message 28: by Karla (new)

Karla  (khiedeman) | 25 comments I recently finished "Happens Every Day" by Isabel Gillies, an account of the breakup of her marriage shortly after moving to Oberlin with her professor husband and two young sons. It is a factual account, although names have been changed. It is not particularly well-written, but I found it very engrossing and a quick read. I was intrigued enough to google the true identity of her husband and the woman he left Isabel for (is that dangling?). ALthough she claims that all is well between them now, I can't help thinking she is enjoying having a bestselling book telling her side of the story.

message 29: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Karla, I started this book (Happens Every Day) but had to return it to the library. Is it worth getting out again?

message 30: by Karla (new)

Karla  (khiedeman) | 25 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Karla, I started this book (Happens Every Day) but had to return it to the library. Is it worth getting out again?"

Well, it's not great lit, but honestly I couldn't put it down. It was a great look into someone's marriage, as well as their lifestyle. While she claims not to have money, her family at one point did. Her parents have an apartment overlooking Central Park and they have summered in Maine forever. Probably you will either love it like I did or hate it. Does that help?

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Canoeist (michaelcanoeist) Karla, did the book seem one-sided, or did it feel like a fairly honest look at their situation?

Karla (KLouise61) wrote: "I recently finished "Happens Every Day" by Isabel Gillies... Although she claims that all is well between them now, I can't help thinking she is enjoying having a bestselling book telling her side of the story."

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael Canoeist (michaelcanoeist) What is it about this month that feels so special? Yes, the end of summer by our typical school calendars. And also the meteorological ending of summer..... but there is more than that, isn't there? I found myself drawn to another book called August August, even though it turns out that is the name of a principal character. This is great Hamsun--or seems so to me, at the halfway point--but for some reason is obscure and very hard to find. It also had me thinking--I seem to remember reading an Edith Wharton book with the same title. And didn't Judith Rossner follow Mr. Goodbar with a book titled August? Are there any others?

message 33: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon2020) Hi new here. I usually would have put an exclamation after that :)

I do think I read that Wharton book as well but the title is lost in my addled brain. There is a book Snow in August that I remember reading that was then one of my top picks for the year.

Oh my intro - Name is Sharon, 53, Texas, will read most anything though horror brings about bad dreams and fantasy has not taken yet...

I am going to be nervous with you guys with English majors I have forgotten everything I was ever taught by my excellent high school teacher and never went to college at all except to take a couple of classes for enjoyments sake. The English class I took where you had to dissect lit was a nerve wracking time for me that still makes me shudder at the comments written on my papers. Not real good at expressing and critiquing.

message 34: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Welcome Sharon!!!!!

Please do not worry about posting here....we are very friendly and laid back.

I was an English minor in college and taught English, and I also hated dissecting literature in college. Even at such a young age, I thought it was very arrogant to critique writers - especially dead writers who could not defend themselves. Who are we to interpret what they meant?

So relax and jump in!

message 35: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Sharon, didn't you stop smoking recently? How did that go? Are you substituting books for the other vice?

message 36: by madrano (new)

madrano | 444 comments I can't find a Wharton novel with August in the title, but wonder if it could be either a short story or, perhaps, the short novel Summer? http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/e...

deborah

message 37: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments Hi Sharon - the only criteria here is reading, not writing. I've read so many good books shared on these boards that I would have missed otherwise. Oh, scary idea :) Not to mention the good company. We can always use more good company.

message 38: by Karla (new)

Karla  (khiedeman) | 25 comments Oh, I'm sure it's one-sided. I enjoyed the peek into the WASPy lifestyle with the bonus of life in a small college town--full of "overeducated" people, in Gillies words.

Michael wrote: "Karla, did the book seem one-sided, or did it feel like a fairly honest look at their situation?

Karla (KLouise61) wrote: "I recently finished "Happens Every Day" by Isabel Gillies... Although s..."

message 39: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon2020) Thanks ladies sorry I haven't been online lately I have been letting house go and my mom (I am a SAH helper to my folks) so I had to get caught up so I can get back to reading. I will be glad when I can put the yard to bed as well.

Deborah I could have been mistaken. I did look through my Whartons and did not see August in there so I must have been thinking of something else.

JoAnn I did quit smoking and then I started again sigh. I am going to give it another go soon. What I have done is cram hobbies in - reading and stitching and crafty things. I have cut back a lot but not done with it yet.

Well I just finished South of Broad and ended up not liking it. Wish I hadn't bought it it was not really worth it even with my BN discount. I was diappointed. Am going to start Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tonight though I think that will pull me up from the disappointment - at least from what I hear.

message 40: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Sharon, have you read other books by Pat Conroy?

message 41: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon2020) No I haven't JoAnn are all his the same style? A bit overdone. And over the top.

I am loving Girl with a Tattoo though. I was on page 200 without even realizing I was that far into it. Have you read it?

message 42: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Sharon wrote: "No I haven't JoAnn are all his the same style? A bit overdone. And over the top.

I am loving Girl with a Tattoo though. I was on page 200 without even realizing I was that far into it. Have you read it..."

No, I started and abandoned it. Something for which I am "famous".

Most of Conroy's books are wordy and overdone but damn, the man knows how to tell a story and his use of language is amazing. Try the GREAT SANTINI if you are willing to try another one. And close it if you hate it!

message 43: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

I will be closing this chat in a few hours...please use the September folder.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.