Retro Reads discussion

Mistress of Mellyn
This topic is about Mistress of Mellyn
Buddy reads > Mistress of Mellyn

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments Upcoming March 21, 2017 buddy read with Carol, Debbie and anyone else who'd like to join.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments Thanks Tadiana!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments Ditto!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments The Kindle version of this book is $7.99, but Abebooks has several hardback copies for about $3.50, with free shipping: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...

I'm very tempted!

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Mar 02, 2017 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments Also, try your local op/charity/thrift shops. Holt is a staple at the one I volunteer for.

What is notable though is that only one Mistress of Mellyn has turned up (& I snagged it) This of course confirms my memory that this one is a keeper!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments Ooh! Ooh! For 50 cents more, $4, I was able to order an omnibus edition of Victoria Holt that contains these four novels: Bride of Pendorric; The Shadow of the Lynx; King of the Castle; Mistress of Mellyn. Score!

They have more copies if anyone is interested: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...

The cheapest copy is $3.48 but I thought it was worth paying a bit more for a copy that's in better condition.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Ooh! Ooh! For 50 cents more, $4, I was able to order an omnibus edition of Victoria Holt that contains these four novels: Bride of Pendorric; The Shadow of the Lynx; King of the Castle; Mistress of..."

I have that one, Tadiana. I am reading BoP out of it. I think I got it at the downtown used bookstore last year but I don't remember how much I paid. That is a great deal! Def. a score!!!

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments I am so glad you found this! I have a friend looking for Holts. I am gonna send her the link. THanks for posting!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments debbie~cr8zycat ^_^ wrote: "Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Ooh! Ooh! For 50 cents more, $4, I was able to order an omnibus edition of Victoria Holt that contains these four novels: Bride of Pendorric; The Shadow of the Lynx; Kin..."

I had Bride of Pendorric - read last year- own the other 3 titles.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Also, try your local op/charity/thrift shops. Holt is a staple at the one I volunteer for.

What is notable though is that only one Mistress of Mellyn has turned up (& I snagged it) This of course ..."

There is a church thrift store here that always has Holts and other gothics. I have a friend that volunteers there and she gives me a heads up when ones come in. They are only a buck each for hardback. Paperback .50...

I have added to my stash a lot lately. I've gotten du Maurier's recently too.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments I am so happy you reminded me of that store! I had forgotten. I want the Moura series by Virginia Hoffman. Thriftbooks is sold out. I forgot about Abe and it looks like they have it. Off to investigate more! Thanks Tadiana! You are de bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments You're welcome! Happy to help.

message 13: by Joanne (last edited Mar 03, 2017 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanne I find so many retro paperbacks on ebay. Great resource for out of print books.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments Joanne wrote: "I find so many retro paperbacks on ebay. Great resource for out of print books."

Oh good idea! I have not checked there.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments My Victoria Holt omnibus arrived in the mail today! I may or may not have jumped the gun on this buddy read...

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments I have so many gothics going on right now my head is spinning! I don't blame you one bit. I would have jumped the gun too with a new omnibus. ;-)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments Okay, I read three chapters but now I'm going to be good and set it aside until the BR starts. But I already have theories about what's going on. :)

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments Hah! I know I read it when my mom had it all those years ago. I don't remember a thing about it. But I always recalled the title and it was one I had liked.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments It is a good one! :)

Veronique | 31 comments Picking the book up from the library next Saturday :O)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments I'm ready to start tomorrow! :)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments Wow, it is tomorrow, isn't it? Somehow the 21st seems like it should still be a week away. Where has this month gone?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Wow, it is tomorrow, isn't it? Somehow the 21st seems like it should still be a week away. Where has this month gone?"

Ha! When I say ready I mean I'm ignoring my half finished reads! I've been trying for years to get hold of this book!

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments I'll start tomorrow as well. I also will have to put some reads on hold but okay....so it goes. :)

Veronique | 31 comments Saturday for me - I'm getting the book from the library :O)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments I'm taking the book to work with me and will make a start on my break. :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments & I have started. Holt has done a great job of scene setting.

Another thing that has struck me is how few chapters this book has - only 8 + an afterword.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments I started it last night too but not very far in as I had to finish up another first. It is great on setting!! :)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments So why do authors so often write about the heroine having a short nose and wide lips like it's a bad thing? It sounds lovely to me!

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments Well. Also. Her eyes are too bold. Humph.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments I recall this being a common Holt device - to have the heroine view herself as unattractive where to our modern eyes the heroine would be.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments Enchantress ☮Debbicat ஐ wrote: "Well. Also. Her eyes are too bold. Humph."

The shameless hussy!

message 33: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Kaso | 51 comments I got that omnibus edition of Victoria Holt novels a while back as I was re-reading old faves on my own. So glad to be in this group. ;-)

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments lol Tadiana!

i am now picking my book back up. Hope to get in some relaxing reading time. These old gothics are pure escapism.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments flibbertigibbets?

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments Enchantress ☮Debbicat ஐ wrote: "flibbertigibbets?"

It's been a long while since I heard that word.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments So it is a word? Bc I was wondering....

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments Oh yes. "a frivolous, flighty, or excessively talkative person."

message 39: by Barb in Maryland (last edited Mar 22, 2017 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barb in Maryland | 337 comments I first read this in early 1962 as a young teen and was immediately enamored. I re-read it annually for a number of years (as I also eagerly devoured each new release). And then, sometime in the late 1970s I lost interest in Victoria Holt. but retained my very fond memories of 'Mistress of Mellyn'. I confess that I am afraid to re-read it, as I worry that the suck fairy might have gotten to it. I shall be avidly following the discussion. Should I decide to actually re-read it, I'll join back in

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments Barb in Maryland wrote: "I first read this in early 1962 as a young teen and was immediately enamored. I re-read it annually for a number of years (as I also eagerly devoured each new release). And then, sometime in the la..."

It was my favourite out of the Victoria Holt books too. I reread Bride of Pendoric & it didn't hold up quite so well, but so far I'm loving M of M>

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments Martha not one to look on the bright side, is she?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments Also Holt does a lot of re-stating & stating the obvious.

I can't help it - I'm still loving this book & I'm already up to chapter 7!

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments Awww. I'm behind. My week-evenings have been busy. I haven't been able to pick it up much. I know I will like it tho. I might get to read a little tonight. If I can stay awake! ;)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments Enchantress ☮Debbicat ஐ wrote: "Awww. I'm behind. My week-evenings have been busy. I haven't been able to pick it up much. I know I will like it tho. I might get to read a little tonight. If I can stay awake! ;)"
while away on
No worries Debbi - I didn't read at all while on holiday & I am a little behind.
I've finished & I loved it. A couple of things I really want to discuss, but I'll wait till everyone else is finished. :)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments Martha's extremely prickly, isn't she? It's realistic given her background and the situation she finds herself in now, but I'm having a little trouble sympathizing with her, especially when she's so brusque with Alvean sometimes.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Martha's extremely prickly, isn't she? It's realistic given her background and the situation she finds herself in now, but I'm having a little trouble sympathizing with her, especially when she's s..."

Boy, I found that hard at the start. But realistic given the era it was written about & the actual time it was written (1960)

I don't want to say too much, but Martha's flaws are one of the things I loved about this book.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments There was no reading for me tonight. My husband decided we needed to rearrange furniture! No fun! Reading is so much more appealing. ;)

I'm crawling into bed. Gonna read a little. If I don't fall asleep. (Yawn)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 887 comments I'm at the end of Chapter 6: "Which sort of pie will you have? Giblet, squab, nattling or muggety? Ha, here's taddage too. I can recommend the squab: layers of apple and bacon, onions and mutton and young pigeon. The most delicious Cornish fare."

I have no idea what half of that food is, but it's making me hungry.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 918 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "I'm at the end of Chapter 6: "Which sort of pie will you have? Giblet, squab, nattling or muggety? Ha, here's taddage too. I can recommend the squab: layers of apple and bacon, onions and mutton an..."

I also love the character's names. Not so many unusual names in this Holt (other than Alvean & Gillyflower) but some of her other books have quite a few.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister (cr8zycat) | 318 comments Gross! On the food!
I m gonna name my next pet Gillyflower. I love it.
Just got back from the library sake! Yippee!!!!
I picked up more Holt, Stewart, Whitney and Coffman. Others too. But I'm thrilled. It's a good day. I might go back tomorrow. I was there for 2 hrs. It was a packed house. I need to take a couple of suitcases tomorrow. To carry them all. ;)

« previous 1 3