Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Mary Westmacott/Agatha Christie

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 463 comments Mary Westmacott is another pen name for Agatha Christie. Most of her books have Agatha Christie listed as a secondary author. Before I go changing anything, I wanted to make sure I was correct in remembering that we aren't supposed to do that for pseudonyms. Thanks!

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2397 comments JG, I'd go with whatever is on the cover of the book. Then, in each author's profile description, I'd add the other pseudonym. (But I might be wrong in this particular instance.)

We probably need the AKA more than anything in terms of new features.

Right now, I'd just like some bugs worked out.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2397 comments Rivka?

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I've been hesitant about removing these when they're already set up (although I don't create them that way) because I worry about searchability -- if someone's looking for a book by title + author and they have the "wrong" author name, they won't find it.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 35306 comments Mod
It was Otis who asked that we not add them as a second author. (I actually thought it was a decent work-around.)

I'll ask him to pop in when he has a chance and weigh in again.

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 463 comments I'll just leave them alone until then. Thanks for weighing in!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2397 comments I've never deleted them either. I just haven't added them. I like the idea as long as an explanation is given in the books' description fields.

message 8: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Hmmm if I did I can't remember why. It seems to be that aside from being slightly unclean, having them both listed as authors would be the only way to make both names searchable. Perhaps I just wanted to avoid unclean data as I wanted to wait for AKA - but we can always make tools to clean them up when we get there. So unless there are any arguments against I'd say it's fine...

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 35306 comments Mod
Otis wrote: "Perhaps I just wanted to avoid unclean data as I wanted to wait for AKA"

IIRC, that's about right. Thanks for the green light. :)

Ladies, on your marks . . . ! ;)