Best Teen Books discussion

Mother/Daughter Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Feb 29, 2008 09:26AM) (new)

Nicole Burchfield (ariafury) | 1 comments Hey all!

I'm asking this for a fellow adult librarian who is taking up the task of starting a mother/daughter book group aimed at teen girls and their moms, but she says there might also be some older daughters - college age.

She's looking for a book that's family oriented.

Suggestions so far - The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, Looking for Alaska by John Green, The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, and How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. Oh yeah, and Persepolis.

Any other ideas or any of those sound absolutely perfect?

She wants something that will appeal to both age groups and not throw any Moms into a fit about her daughter reading it...

Thanks for the help!

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 47 comments My novel was posted on motherdaughterbookclub.com and they have some wonderful suggestions for other books with really detailed discussions. Many of the books there, like mine, have questions that are for mother/daughter book clubs. I saw several great books on that site that I recommended to groups who have done my book.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Anything by the following authors:

Deb Caletti
Megan McCafferty
Rachel Cohn
Laurie Halse Anderson
Sarah Dessen

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) well, it depends on the age and the mom and the daugher...but a tree grows in brooklyn by betty smith is good, and so is to kill a mockingbird by harper lee. i must say that I am a teenage girl and I loved them both, and my mom really likes those books too.

message 5: by Dorian (new)

Dorian Johnson (dorian_tolivia) | 11 comments I agree with Veronica! A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was astounding, you should have that in your book club! :)

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (booksandbows) | 17 comments i think i have recommended this book at least a million times on this forum... Secret Life of Bees, and I think Persepolis is a good idea and I am reading the Morning Gift now and really enjoying it.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Biederman | 5 comments The "throw any moms into a fit part" of your post is making me nervous. My novel, Unraveling (14 & up) comes out this July. The heart of the story is mother-daughter but there's also a significant coming of age component. There are parts there that I suppose really super conservative moms might not be entirely comfortable with, but they certainly reflect truth about choices with guys that all girls/young women make. But if there are any teens reading this--here's my concern now. The flap is more about this deal 15 yr.old Amanda makes--her virginity in exchange for a date to the Homecoming Dance--and less about her toxic relationship with her mom. Do you think that will keep a lot of moms from wanting to pick it up for a book club?

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith | 1 comments I run a M/D book club that currently skews a little on the younger side. We advertise it for 6th grade and up, but at our latest meeting (we meet every other month), we had two 5th graders and a 10th grader. We've read "Esperanza Rising," "Into the Wild," "Guyaholic" and next October we are doing "Goddess Games," by N. Burnham. I'm still working on an August book, although I'm thinking of "The Kayla Chronicles."

message 9: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (booksandbows) | 17 comments In response to Lynn, I think the question wouldn't be, would moms not want to read it but would teens feel awkward discussing it with their mothers. I know that I would probably be ok with it, however many of my friends would not. Either way, I still want to read it!

message 10: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Fletcher-spear (fletcherspear) | 1 comments The two that immediately come to mind are Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Both are "meaty" books with lots to discuss and have appeal for teens and adults.

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Biederman | 5 comments Casy, I think you are quite right here. I guess I'd say that discussion is a term that's pretty elastic. So the situations or themes of any book can get stretched as far as is comfortable in a MD book club. It may be that with my book, it's comfortable to talk about why the mother and daughter have a toxic relationship and whether this is related to 15 yr old Amanda making a deal to lose her virginity. Do we look to fill certain voids we have in being wanted or loved at home with boyfriends, popularity, by risk taking or attention getting behaviors, whatever. Trying to figure out why we do what we do goes way beyond being a teen. Adults can relate and discuss this too. Or another group might go into why is virginity such a big deal anyway. And yet another might focus on the similarities that exist between this mother and daughter despite the daughter's perspective that they are opposite. I'm afraid this is over replying but I like your point and just wanted to add my thoughts. I do hope you let me know what you think. Curious now. Thanks. :)

message 12: by Lexi (new)

Lexi My own mother/daughter bookclub had an extremely successful discussion with Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper, but it is more for a bookclub with teen daughters. It was especially interesting to hear the two points of view. As a daughter, I connected more towards the main character, but it was interesting to hear the opinions of the mothers. I highly recommend this book for your mother/daughter bookclub. I think it was the best one mine has read so far!

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna | 47 comments What about Thirteen Reason Why (Jay Asher)? For younger girls Stargirl (Jerry Spinelli). Both deal with the consequences of peer pressure/perception.

message 14: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Brunner (maureenbrunner) | 2 comments Here are my recoomendations:

1 - Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
2 - The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
3 - A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life by Dana Reinhardt
4 - The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (for older teens and college age girls)