The Sword and Laser discussion

Books that make you cry

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2071 comments Tor.com's open thread today is books that punched us in the tearducts. What are some books that have made you cry?

For me, The Return of the King when Aragorn tells the Hobbits that they bow to no one.

The Malazan series made me cry a few times (Chain of Dogs anyone?).

Robin Hobb is the master at boxing my tear ducts. Anything with Fitz and the Fool is bound to bring tears at some point. And I'm pretty sure I cried like a baby at the end of Ship of Destiny.

Harry Potter made makes me cry a few different times. Dumbledore's speech after Cedric's death, Harry's walk into the forest at the end of Deathly Hallows, Dumbledore saying of course it's all in Harry's head but why does that mean it isn't real?

What are some of your tearjerkers?

message 2: by William (new)

William | 233 comments So which F/SF books make me cry?

Well, the reasons these make me cry are pretty much all spoilers, but go without saying if you've read the book (unless you have a heart of stone, in which case I'll be happy to clarify), so here are a few tear inducing reads:

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Magnificat by Julian May
House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

I'll probably remember a load more as soon as I post...clearly I'm a very emotional bookworm.

message 3: by Sanasai (last edited Feb 28, 2017 03:09PM) (new)

Sanasai | 73 comments Return of the King gets me too, but for me it's Sam's line: "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well." Makes me tear just typing it, and I never fail to bawl at that point in the book. (or the movie either).

Pretty sure I cried over a few parts of Traitors' Gate too, at least the first time. The Towers Trilogy (Radiant, Defiant, Towers Fall) makes me cry at some points for spoiler-y reasons. The ending of Damocles does too, in a bittersweet way.

When I was younger Moreta made me cry too, could probably still do it if I'm feeling vulnerable when I read it. Nor Crystal Tears is another one in that category.

There's a bunch more, I'm sure. I dive in pretty deep with a lot of books. My other half has come in to find me crying my eyes out many a time, asked what's wrong, and I just point at the book & sob. Fortunately, he gets it. :D

Edit: just went and looked at the Tor posts and yup! like going down a checklist....that one, that one too, yup, same here.... *sighs* so many.....

message 4: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 847 comments I don't think I have ever cried after reading a scifi novel. Scared yes, but not cried. Fantasy, well, some of Hobb novels are tearjerkers but I also cried after Prisoners of Azkaban and Half Blood Prince.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 709 comments It's already been mentioned, but The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger had me bawling my eyes out on the train and I didn't even care.

I also cried during the last fifty pages or so of Jim Henson: The Biography for very obvious reasons.

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren Silvana wrote: "I don't think I have ever cried after reading a scifi novel.."

Then you haven't read any of the Culture books, I'm guessing. Christ, just the appendices of Consider Phlebas had me wiping tears from my eyes from wrist to elbow.

The Lord of the Rings because Sam.
The Name of the Wind
A Song for Arbonne. Not really just that one, but that one more than any of his others.
The Magician's Land You start out hating most of these characters, but by the end of the series, you love all of them.

I just started Doomsday Book, so I'm glad to hear that's going to work out well for me...

message 7: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (1stavenue) | 10 comments I don't normally cry over fiction (not these past few years anyway), but when I do, it's wracking sobs and ugly crying. And the last book that did that to me was A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. Reread it last year and it still had the power to bring on the ugly crying.

I'm currently in the middle of House of Suns and loving it, and I definitely sense something epic is gonna happen toward the end. So very excited for that total emotional destruction...

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2258 comments The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell made me sob my eyes out. So much so that I still haven't been able to read the followup.

elizabeth • paper ghosts (paperghosts) I'll never forget the first book that made me cry. I was 11 or 12, and The Amber Spyglass just absolutely wrecked me. It all just felt so unfair.

Of course, I cried at certain points during all Harry Potter books 5 - 7.

And like Mimi, I was reduced to full-on ugly crying by A Monster Calls. I think I just sat on the couch and bawled for a solid half hour after turning the last page.

message 10: by William (new)

William | 233 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell made me sob my eyes out. So much so that I still haven't been able to read the followup."

Me too, exactly. :'(

message 11: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2443 comments ^There is redemption. I won't say it's an easy book, but Children of God is worth a read.

message 12: by William (new)

William | 233 comments Mimi wrote: "I'm currently in the middle of House of Suns and loving it, and I definitely sense something epic is gonna happen toward the end. So very excited for that total emotional destruction... "

I don't expect it to be simply "sad", or "happy" but is beautifully done. To me the ending plays on your emotions like a symphony crossed with thrash metal. But that's just me. I've read it three times and had tears in my eyes each time. (I'm man-welling-up in a manly way right now). But your milage may vary.

message 13: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2443 comments I'm a cold hearted bastard now and didn't shed a tear for any of the books above. But at the age of ten or so, I cried for the fictional cat of The Door Into Summer because he was going to die soon.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2258 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "^There is redemption. I won't say it's an easy book, but Children of God is worth a read."

I hear this. :) At this point I'll have to reread The Sparrow too and I'm just not sure I'm up for it. Maybe someday....

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 709 comments Mimi wrote: "I don't normally cry over fiction (not these past few years anyway), but when I do, it's wracking sobs and ugly crying. And the last book that did that to me was A Monster Calls by P..."

I always forget A Monster Calls. I listened to it on audiobook and burst into tears on the bus.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2258 comments Anne wrote: "I always forget A Monster Calls. I listened to it on audiobook and burst into tears on the bus. .."
I keep waiting for that to go on sale on Audible because it is only 3 hours long! I don't want to spend a credit. But it's Mr. Malfoy!

message 17: by Louie (new)

Louie (RMutt1914) | 651 comments Sorry to mention it for a third time, but the only one that comes to mind for me is The Time Traveler's Wife.

message 18: by Ray (last edited Mar 01, 2017 11:13PM) (new)

Ray (Freshness) | 10 comments The final book Hyperion series by Dan Simmons, (The Rise of Endymion), is so gut wrenching that I can't help but cry every time. I've read the series 3 or 4 times.

message 19: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 847 comments @Darren: Thanks for the suggestion. A friend suggested to me to read Player of Games first even though it's no 2 in the series, so... what do you think?

message 20: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2443 comments Ray wrote: "The final book Hyperion series by Dan Simmons, (The Rise of Endymion), is so gut wrenching that I can't help but cry every time. I've read the series 3 or 4 times."

It does have a pretty hard...what seems to be an ending, and then the real ending is bittersweet.

message 21: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (AlanDenham) | 96 comments I don't think I have cried while reading a book normally since I was a child - but I will occasionally 'test' a short passage, my own work or that of friends, by reading aloud. If I can't manage that, its good stuff!

message 22: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 587 comments The only book that made me cry was the end of Clockwork Princess. I don't want to say anything spoilery.. but after reading and loving Mortal Instruments and then reading Infernal Devices.. I was totally immersed and to this day I just love those characters and that world. Not only did the end of the book have me emotional for how it ended .. but then I mourned finishing the series for weeks :P

message 23: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (1stavenue) | 10 comments William wrote: "I don't expect it to be simply "sad", or "happy" but is beautifully done. To me the ending plays on your emotions like a symphony crossed with thrash metal. But that's just me. I've read it three times and had tears in my eyes each time. (I'm man-welling-up in a manly way right now). But your milage may vary."

Initially I wasn't expecting a sad ending, just something epic in scale, but your first comment made me curious and your follow-up comment made me even more curious. So now I'm paying a lot more attention during the read and taking it slow(er), hoping to pick up some hints on what's to come. Whatever it is, it sounds exciting and I can't wait to get there.

message 24: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 453 comments Silvana wrote: "@Darren: Thanks for the suggestion. A friend suggested to me to read Player of Games first even though it's no 2 in the series, so... what do you think?"

player of games is an excellent intro to The Culture

message 25: by Fresno Bob (last edited Mar 02, 2017 01:04PM) (new)

Fresno Bob | 453 comments I read The Walking Dead comics in the 6 issue bound versions, and when both Abraham and especially Glenn die in one book, after not losing anyone important in ages, I'll admit I was crying.

The Road made me go look at my sleeping children with tears in my eyes at 2am as I read it in one quick sitting.

Nothing has ever had me in tears though like the final episode of Season 4 of "The Wire".

message 26: by Darren (last edited Mar 02, 2017 06:12PM) (new)

Darren Silvana wrote: "@Darren: Thanks for the suggestion. A friend suggested to me to read Player of Games first even though it's no 2 in the series, so... what do you think?"

It's fine. They don't need to be read in order. I'd go with Phlebas first, personally, but the world won't end if you don't.

message 27: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 1175 comments The Sparrow made me feel as if my soul had cracked open, but I didn't cry. I cried after The Shepherd's Crown. It was the right time and made sense, but I cried anyway.

message 28: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 213 comments I don't recall endings causing a cry, but sometimes a scene within a story will get me. I don't want to post potential spoilers.

message 29: by Andrés (new)

Andrés (RedBishop) | 35 comments The little prince used to be a fun story, but the older I get the more it gets me.

message 30: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 3 comments "The Tale of the Adopted Daughter" from Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love". Every time

message 31: by Phil (last edited Mar 07, 2017 07:04PM) (new)

Phil | 950 comments Meghan wrote: ""The Tale of the Adopted Daughter" from Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love". Every time"

Yup, that's the big one for me too.
Although, I'm an old softy and I tear up quite often when I read. It gets quite embarrassing at work sometimes.

message 32: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (Iain_Bertram) | 465 comments I think Flowers for Algernon is the saddest book I have ever read. I was crying or on the verge of tears for over half the book ..

To think you can make such a bad movie out of such a beautiful book.

message 33: by William (new)

William | 233 comments Iain wrote: "I think Flowers for Algernon is the saddest book I have ever read. I was crying or on the verge of tears for over half the book ..

To think you can make such a bad movie out of such a beautiful b..."

Oh crumbs! I'd forgotten about that one, that one is devastatingly sad...beautiful but sad.

message 34: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Smith (readwithmybrain) | 47 comments I rarely cry (on account of being really really tough), but the one book that got me was Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis.

I remember lying in bed reading, and suddenly everything was blurry on the page whew...