Reading with Style discussion

RwS Spring 2017 > 20.9 National Doctor's Day

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5389 comments 20.9 National Doctor's Day (Kate's Task)
Read a book written by an author who is/was a practicing medical doctor.

Feel free to ask questions in this thread.

message 3: by Anika (new)

Anika | 1348 comments My favorites written by MDs are:

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande

I'd love some suggestions of favorites that others have read :-)

message 4: by Norma (new)

Norma | 911 comments Will Kathy Reichs work for this task?

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 1906 comments Anton Checkov was a doctor...but his major plays which are on the Western Canon are all under 100 pages. Can one read two of the plays to qualify in this category?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 10019 comments Ed wrote: "Anton Checkov was a doctor...but his major plays which are on the Western Canon are all under 100 pages. Can one read two of the plays to qualify in this category?"

No, the only exception to the page count is poetry. Any of his story collections will qualify, however.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I came to recommend Cutting for Stone, but Anika beat me to it! :)

Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures is another great one (I think it was my group read pick a couple seasons back)!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 10019 comments Robin Cook is a physician. I have read only his Coma, and that years ago, but I would willingly read him again.

message 9: by Anika (new)

Anika | 1348 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ed wrote: "Anton Checkov was a doctor...but his major plays which are on the Western Canon are all under 100 pages. Can one read two of the plays to qualify in this category?"

No, the only excepti..."

I found this at my local library: Two Plays of Anton Chekhov: The Cherry Orchard and Three Sisters. Would that be eligible to read for this task? If so, would it work for Canon style points?

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 1906 comments Anika wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ed wrote: "Anton Checkov was a doctor...but his major plays which are on the Western Canon are all under 100 pages. Can one read two of the plays to qualify in this categ..."

ah...thanks...I'll see if my library has that.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 10019 comments Yes, that Chekhov title with two plays would work.

message 12: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1857 comments Kathryn Fox?

Also, wikipedia list which may help though you'll have to check with fine tooth-comb: Physician writer

I've got a list of names from that I still have to check through but some good possibilities :)

message 13: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1009 comments Here are some physician writers that I am checking out:
Anton Chekhov
Arthur Conan Doyle
Khaled Hosseini
W. Somerset Maugham
Michael Crichton
Mikhail Bulgakov
Atul Gawande
Ethan Canin
Oliver Sacks
Sherwin B. Nuland
Tess Gerritsen
Michael Palmer
Robin Cook
Siddhartha Mukherjee

I also loved the three books that Anika recommended.

message 14: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5389 comments Norma wrote: "Will Kathy Reichs work for this task?"

I will take her.

message 15: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5389 comments Tien wrote: "Kathryn Fox?"

Yes

message 16: by Katy (new)

Katy | 728 comments Danielle Ofri is a practicing doctor and writes about medicine - specifically about medical communication/emotions. I have read her What Doctors Feel: How Emotions Affect the Practice of Medicine and liked it and plan on reading What Patients Say, What Doctors Hear for this task.

message 17: by Kazen (last edited Feb 28, 2017 09:03PM) (new)

Kazen | 608 comments Katy wrote: "Danielle Ofri is a practicing doctor and writes about medicine - specifically about medical communication/emotions..."

You beat me to Ofri! I love her work and was lucky enough to read an advance copy of What Patients Say - it's quite good. :)

Other physician faves -
When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales of Neurosurgery by Frank T. Vertosick Jr.
The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande
Committed: The Battle Over Involuntary Psychiatric Care by Dinah Miller (co-authored with fellow doctor)
Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner by Judy Melinek (co-authored with non-doctor)

message 18: by Rosemary (last edited Feb 28, 2017 11:39PM) (new)

Rosemary | 2322 comments There's a useful list here of doctors who wrote non-medical books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physici...
You can click through to make sure each one fits.

message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 1679 comments Thank you for that list, Rosemary! I found what looks to be a fun read on it.

Rocket to Limbo by Alan E. Nourse

Here is his wiki info if you need it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_E....

message 20: by Karin (last edited Mar 01, 2017 08:01AM) (new)

Karin I read a couple by doctors in my home town about medicine back in a more remote area where doctors had to do everything, not just people medicine, and dealt with logging camps and other things back in the 1950s and 1960s (yes, still some rather frontier medicine even then):

The Doc's Side: Tales of a Sunshine Coast Doctor

House Calls by Float Plane: Stories of a West Coast Doctor not quite as good of a story teller, but starts earlier and also includes a lot more travel to remote areas

Here's a link to 5 books by MDs that came out in 2016 http://www.medscape.com/features/slid...

ETA that last link doesn't go where it should. Weird. and yet in the address it even says what it is. Try googling "5 books by doctors 2016" because that brings it up. (not how i found it the first time, but I got it the second)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 10019 comments For those who like mysteries, Tess Gerritsen is another who has her MD.

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 1679 comments Karin wrote: "I read a couple by doctors in my home town about medicine back in a more remote area where doctors had to do everything, not just people medicine, and dealt with logging camps and other things back..."

That link sends me to a login page, Karin.

message 23: by Karin (last edited Mar 01, 2017 08:00AM) (new)

Karin Valerie wrote: "Karin wrote: "I read a couple by doctors in my home town about medicine back in a more remote area where doctors had to do everything, not just people medicine, and dealt with logging camps and oth..."

Weird. and yet in the address it even says what it is. Try googling "5 books by doctors 2016" because that brings it up. (not how i found it the first time, but I got it the second)

my link text

http://www.medscape.com/features/slid...

message 24: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1199 comments I read Doctored: The Disillusionment of an American Physician by Sandeep Jauhar in 2015. I remember enjoying it and gave it 4 stars, although I notice some reviewers have objected to his attitude. If he is approved for the task, I might read Intern: A Doctor's Initiation.

message 25: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5389 comments Denise wrote: "I read Doctored: The Disillusionment of an American Physician by Sandeep Jauhar in 2015. I remember enjoying it and gave it 4 stars, although I notice some reviewers..."

Sandeep Jauhar is a practicing cardiologist according to his website. Approved.

message 26: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1857 comments Tobias Smollett

"During 1742 he served as a surgeon during the disastrous campaign to capture Cartagena. On his return, he established practice in Downing Street and married a wealthy Jamaican heiress, Anne "Nancy" Lascelles (1721–1791), during 1747. She was a daughter of William Lascelles." ~ wikipedia

message 27: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5389 comments Tien wrote: "Tobias Smollett

"During 1742 he served as a surgeon during the disastrous campaign to capture Cartagena. On his return, he established practice in Downing Street and married a wea..."

Got him

message 28: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1857 comments Thanks, Kate.

message 29: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3809 comments Does Steven Pinker count?

message 30: by Coralie (last edited Mar 07, 2017 11:43PM) (new)

Coralie | 1923 comments Does an anesthetist count? I am looking at Robert Edeson.

message 31: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5389 comments Rebekah wrote: "Does Steven Pinker count?"

Doesn't look like he practices medicine, more research. Sorry.

message 32: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5389 comments Coralie wrote: "Does an anesthetist count? I am looking at Robert Edeson."

Anesthetists are defined as medical practitioners. I will take it.

message 33: by Karin (last edited Mar 08, 2017 03:06PM) (new)

Karin For the record, and this is not the case with Robert Edeson (see below), but there are also nurse anesthetists in the USA now. I'm not sure about other countries.

Dr Robert Edeson
MB BS, DRCOG

PERTH ANAESTHETIST

message 34: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1923 comments Mickey Zucker Reichert is a pediatrician.

message 35: by Rosemary (last edited May 26, 2017 08:27AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2322 comments Ernesto Che Guevara is listed as a physician in the first paragraph of his GR profile, and here it is clear that he did work as a doctor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Gue...

Is that OK? Assuming it's OK I have posted a completed book, 26th May.

Is he also non-western? Yes, I see he is on the spreadsheet.