Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > Mar/Apr book! Women Who Run With the Wolves (2017)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 368 (368 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Watson (emmawatsonbookclub) | 49 comments Mod
Dear Our Shared Shelf,

When WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES was first published in 1993, it created a furore about the idea of the Wild Woman archetype and how women had lost our connection to our natural, instinctual selves. Jungian psychoanalyst, poet, and keeper of old stories Clarissa Pinkola Estes’ book went to sell over 2 million copies, but today her fascinating book is rarely discussed. Estes’ ideas are both ancient and completely new. She points to storytelling, our ancient narratives, as a way for women to reconnect to the Wild Woman all women have within themselves, but have lost.

As a young girl growing up in northern Michigan, Estes felt most at home in the woods where she often heard wolves howling. Instead of scaring her, the animals’ cries comforted her in a way she was later able to express in this book. Wolves and women share many qualities: playfulness, strength, curiosity, bravery, they are adaptive, and each care deeply for their young. But both wolves and women have suffered a similar fate of being hounded, harassed, exhausted, marginalized, accused of being devious and of little value. How does one reconnect with our deepest, most true selves when today’s world demands us to conform to ridiculous expectations? Estes retells ancient myths and fairy tales from around the world and in doing so shines a light on a path which leads us back to our natural state --- and help us restore the power we carry within us.

Emma x

message 2: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (cloweelou) | 16 comments This sounds very intriguing - I'm looking forward to reading it!

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Watkins | 6 comments So happen to see younger women being introduced to this book. It was a touchstone of the 90's for those of us trying to make sense of it all. Estes is a gift to veneration so of women. Great selection.

message 4: by Laura Laura (new)

Laura Laura (laurajayneish) | 17 comments Great choice! I just finished reading Sex and World Peace this morning. Really interesting book to move on to now.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 18 comments This book sounds amazing!! Can't wait to get started!!

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Lenart | 1 comments This sounds really interesting. I love old myths and fairy tales, so I am really intrigue by how Estes makes those connections then to women and our more wild/natural state.

message 7: by Iana (new)

Iana | 16 comments Sounds amazing! Can't wait to read it

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments Looking forward to this one. I inherited a copy from my late mother in law a few years ago and have been meaning to read it.

message 9: by Vica (new)

Vica (vicccha) | 11 comments It is good to her about such a book. I rarely see that wolves would be compared with women.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandran) | 16 comments Sounds great!

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 33 comments Looking forward to reading this. I read it years ago and I have been wanting to reread it.

message 12: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Another aspect to explore. Shall order my copy today in the meantime will do some research on the history you mention Emma.

PS thx for taking the time from your mad tour schedule for this bi-month selection

message 13: by Shana (last edited Feb 27, 2017 09:16AM) (new)

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 93 comments Sounds very interesting. Look forward to reading it. Thanks Emma. Ps. Also, Thank you for taking the time from your very busy tour schedule to announce the next book. Enjoy the rest of your time in Shanghai, China and good luck with the rest of the tour. : ) xx

message 14: by Britt (new)

Britt | 123 comments I'm very intrigued by this description and am really looking forward to reading the book, as well as discussing it afterwards! :)

message 15: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 7 comments just ordered it :)

message 16: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia | 2 comments Sounds like an interesting piece of writing. I hope I manage to get my hands on it soon!

message 17: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Thank you for taking time from your tour schedule (how's China? I read you all feel like children again:) ) to announce our next read.

I hope I can reconnect more with my femaleness, let's see. I'm still exploring who I actually am and what I want to be in this world (that I don't understand that much. OSS definitely helps me tho.)

I shall order it in the days to come.

message 18: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin | 25 comments Yes! Thank you, Emma. I've been so looking forward to this moment ;-)

message 19: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (repressedpauper) | 64 comments This sounds so unique and like something I never would have found without this group! Thanks, Emma.

message 20: by Helena (new)

Helena Altet | 5 comments Sounds great! I wanted to read it for a while so I'm looking forward to read it now

message 21: by Ella (new)

Ella | 11 comments Ahh I've been meaning to read this for three years, I'll definitely get around to it now!

message 22: by Alba (new)

Alba | 2 comments Thank you! I'm looking forward to read it, fortunately I already have it :)

message 23: by Josefine (new)

Josefine J Allready ordered one- really glad this one is available in german! Looking forward to reading it

message 24: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Josefine wrote: "Allready ordered one- really glad this one is available in german! Looking forward to reading it"

Hm, really good to know. I'll read in English tho, I'm more used to that now. But I need a present for my mom, so, good to know:)

Leanne wrote: "This sounds so unique and like something I never would have found without this group! Thanks, Emma."

That's what I like so much about the book choices... I wouldn't have read any of them except for The Argonauts maybe.

message 25: by Sascha (new)

Sascha (smileylymie) | 14 comments Couldn't be more thrilled about this selection! Excited to deepen my perspective and share with others...the knowledge I've gained from OSS is irreplaceable! Thank you Emma Xx

message 26: by Joana (new)

Joana Ribeiro | 4 comments Really looking foward to read this book. Already bought the ebook! Thanks to show us so many interesting books!

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) My best friend recommended this book to me years ago and I had forgotten about it until now. Our local library has this book which is awesome.......I already own too many books.

message 28: by Corey (new)

Corey | 29 comments This is definitely not something I would have picked out on my own, so I'm really excited to give it a shot.

message 29: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Echevarría | 29 comments I've had it for a while and have not read it yet! Now I have a reason to read it!

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Santos | 1 comments What a wonderful surprise! I'm using this book for my master thesis and I never thought I would find it here! Magnificent choice!

message 31: by Paige (new)

Paige | 48 comments This book is currently on my bookshelf waiting to be read anyway! Can't wait to read it. x

message 32: by Maria (new)

Maria Del | 2 comments It will be my first book in your club. Can't wait to read it.

message 33: by Evangelina (new)

Evangelina Cantu | 1 comments Can't wait to read this group alongside you all!

message 34: by Kimmy (new)

Kimmy (kimamico) | 1 comments I bought this book last week on a whim, so glad to hear it's the March/April book! Can't wait to get started on it!

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (bookeudaimonia) | 3 comments I remember seeing this book on my grandma's nightstand many times when I was a kid. I never read it myself but I'm excited that it is the March/April book! I can't wait to read it.

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (longlivelibraries) | 11 comments Never heard of this one, but I'm sure it will be an interesting read.

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lee | 2 comments Yay can't wait to read this book! I just joined this group and have been reading How To Be A Woman and loving it so far! Ecstatic to continue on reading more books!

message 38: by Steffi (new)

Steffi | 1 comments This is going to be so inspiring. I can already tell

message 39: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 11 comments This was very popular back in the day when I was first introduced to feminism. I haven't read it but look forward to doing so.

message 40: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (azure-oblivion) | 10 comments Thank you for adding this to the Shelf. I've been meaning to read this since my best friend (who is a wild woman herself!) recommended it to me, but I struggled to get an affordable copy. Not only are you giving this book the recognition I'm sure it deserves, you're also making it more available :)

message 41: by Genny (last edited Feb 27, 2017 02:20PM) (new)

Genny Pisano | 21 comments Very looking forward to read this book... Whenever I heard the word "Jung" my interest is quickly picked!
Oh, and what a lovely comparison between Women and Wolves... I'm pretty sure this is going to be an interesting read! Going to order it as soon as possible! Thank You!

A little P.S.: I honestly thought that, with the (surely fun and equally stressful) press tour 'n all, You wouldn't have announced the next book until the end of it... BUT it is YOU we're talking about here xD I must say that I'm pretty impressed, and would've lost any bet I would've made xD Well, gotta say it: not a surprise, but what an INCREDIBLE human being You are!

message 42: by Eslem (new)

Eslem Ouederni (eslemouederni) | 2 comments This seems a great book, hope I find time to read! Love you Emma

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Usmani | 5 comments Just requested sounds exciting to read

message 44: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Yasssss, time for a new book. Hoping to read along with all of you this time!!

message 45: by Simone (new)

Simone | 85 comments This sounds great! Thank you Emma!

message 46: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 7 comments Sounds interesting. I can't wait to start. Thanks Emma ;)

message 47: by Evelia (new)

Evelia | 89 comments Looking forward to reading the book. I will be reading it in Spanish. :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Like always, excited to read it.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

This sounds fascinating to read!
Last year there was a Harry Potter festival I attended and there was a retired stunt man and the only licensed service wolf. He is the only albino Alaskan timber wolf and is a licensed service animal. Together they gave a presentation about the spirit of the wolf in everyone. It deeply moved and inspired me. The description Emma provided made me think of this and I really can't wait to read this and see if/how it relates to the spirit of the wolf!
I planned to go to the library tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be coming home with one more book! :)

message 50: by RoseAnn (new)

RoseAnn | 2 comments This sounds like a much needed read. I can't wait to read it these next couple of months!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8