Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

March - FAIRYTALE RETELLINGS > What are you reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 82) (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsINGE) | 836 comments Mod
Get ready for a thousand and one stories, because in March we are reading fairytale retellings!

This gives us so much fun things to work with, because there are SO MANY RETELLINGS. And they don't have to be fairytales, either. You can read Shakespeare retellings and classics retellings as well, as long as they're retellings. I'm now saying retellings a lot.

I'll be reading:
- Hunted (Beauty & the Beast)
- Drown (The Little Mermaid)
- The Collectors’ Society (Alice in Wonderland)

GIVEAWAY! Our very own Martyn Stanley has offered to give away five ebook sets of his short story duology, The Lambton Worm and Return of the Worm Slayer. This giveaway is international. Just tell us what you're reading in the comments below and you're automatically entered! Winners will be announced on March 10.

message 2: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 59 comments I'll be reading Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones and Hunted by Meagan Spooner!

message 3: by Evelien (new)

Evelien | 28 comments I will also read Drown because I trust your taste in books, Inge, and it looks really interesting! (:

message 4: by Alessandra, White Rabbit (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments Mod
I may skip this month because I don't think my current TBR has one retelling book; I should buy new books in a couple of weeks but there is no retelling in the list. Sorry.

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Ellie wrote: "I'll be reading Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones and Hunted by Meagan Spooner!"

Great choices!

Evelien wrote: "I will also read Drown because I trust your taste in books, Inge, and it looks really interesting! (:"

Hooray :D I hope we both like it! I've been craving a really good Little Mermaid retelling, so I hope this is it.

Alessandra wrote: "I may skip this month because I don't think my current TBR has one retelling book; I should buy new books in a couple of weeks but there is no retelling in the list. Sorry."

Aww, I'm sorry, Alessandra. :( I do admit this theme is a little less general. I'm pretty sure Throne of Glass started out as a Cinderella retelling though - I noticed you have some of the sequels on your TBR. We can allow that. ;)

message 6: by Natulcien (new)

Natulcien | 216 comments I've been saving Winter for this theme (not really, I just feel overwhelmed by the size of that book :-s ), so maybe I'll tackle that one. I'm not sure if I'll be able to squeeze anything else fitting this theme in considering that reading Winter will take a long time. Maybe I'll also read The Wrath & the Dawn if I find the time.
Oooh, I can also read Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love since that's easy to take with me on the train :-)

message 7: by georgia (new)

georgia  (goodreadscomgeorgia_hermione) | 7 comments I'm finally going to be reading Heartless!

I'm so excited!

message 8: by Cathy, Dinah (last edited Feb 27, 2017 11:30PM) (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Mod
I know most members seem to stick to fantasy here, but I actually love reading any kind of genre so I thought that - for myself - I might try and read a different genre each month too, with each category. So I did fantasy in January (obviously) and then contemporary YA in February, which has me thinking I might go with a historical romance this time.

Once upon a tower by Eloisa James has been on my 'to-read-next-shelf' for awhile and it's a retelling (of sorts) of Rapunzel!

I'm probably finally going to be reading that one :) I thought about Heartless, too, but for some reason I haven't been in the mood to pick up that one these last few months.

message 10: by Aly's Bookish Wonderland, Cheshire Cat (new)

Aly's Bookish Wonderland (alysbookishwonderland) | 15 comments Mod
I'm going to read:

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, because it's been sat on my on-hold shelf for two years. (Beauty & the Beast)

A Thousand Nights by E. K. Johnson (1,001 Nights) & hopefully maybe even Spindle by the same author (Sleeping Beauty).

Lastly, I'm going to try and read Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge (Romeo & Juliet).

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* | 73 comments My March is pretty full, but I may try to sneak in Briar Rose and The Forbidden Wish

message 12: by Aly's Bookish Wonderland, Cheshire Cat (new)

Aly's Bookish Wonderland (alysbookishwonderland) | 15 comments Mod
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "My March is pretty full, but I may try to sneak in Briar Rose and The Forbidden Wish"

Eep, I loved The Forbidden Wish! I hope you enjoy it <3

czai (the Blacksheep Reader) (blacksheep187) | 2 comments I'm hoping to read Cruel Beauty and Heartless :D

message 14: by Jolien (new)

Jolien | 0 comments I still have The Wrath & the Dawn and Longbourn on my TBR, so this seems like the perfect time to read them!

message 15: by Jolien (new)

Jolien | 0 comments Natulcien wrote: "I've been saving Winter for this theme (not really, I just feel overwhelmed by the size of that book :-s ), so maybe I'll tackle that one. I'm not sure if I'll be able to squeeze an..."

I might also pick up The Wrath and the Dawn! :)

message 16: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I might try to read The Rose & the Dagger too if there's time left ^_^

message 17: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Mar 01, 2017 01:46AM) (new)

Puck | 248 comments Mod
I have the same problem as Alessandra: I don't have any fairytale retellings on my TBR that I can get from my library right now, so I might not be able to join in this month :( I'll try to get my hands on one of the Shakespeare-retellings that are currently being published. Is that allowed?

message 18: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "I have the same problem as Alessandra: I don't have any fairytale retellings on my TBR right now, so I might not be able to join in this month :( I'll try to get my hands on one of the Shakespeare-..."

Of course! You interpret the prompt as casually as you need to make it work for you. I don't want anyone to feel like they can't join. ^_^

message 19: by lucie , March Hare (new)

lucie  (Arey) | 301 comments Mod
I think that this month I will pick one of these:
- Sinful Cinderella
- A Court of Mist and Fury (not sure if I am going to read it in english or if I will wait a month for a czech translation..)
- My Name Is Rapunzel

message 20: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Stanley | 17 comments I'm reading the The Last Wish which is actually surprisingly appropriate for the theme! It's re-done Beauty and the Beast with Vampires, Snow White and the seven dwarves and it's even mentioned Rapunzel! Also finishing off Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (reading to my daughter) not really a re-telling, but enjoyable. Oh, and I started a freebie sci-fi called Shadow's Talent which I'm starting to get into. Technically I should be reading Open University course materials, but the level 3 course I'm currently on is giving me brain-fry! :(

message 21: by Janeli (new)

Janeli (theundergroundbookdom) | 2 comments I'll be reading:
- Wintersong
- ACOTAR and ACOMAF
- Hunted
- The Bone Witch
- Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book
- A Tale as Old as Time
This is a pretty ambitious TBR for me but I'm pretty confident!

message 22: by Sage (new)

Sage Knightly (SageKnightly_) | 8 comments I will hopefully be reading Hunted by Meagan Spooner and Spindle by E.K. Johnston:)

message 23: by Ellen (last edited Mar 01, 2017 06:29AM) (new)

Ellen (Northerner90) | 15 comments If Hunted by Meagan Spooner makes it here in March I will be reading it. But because I live in nowhere mail takes forever. I would also like to read Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer. Here is to hoping I will have time to read all the books I want in March :)

message 24: by ReadingKritze (new)

ReadingKritze | 6 comments I'll be reading Cinder I think

message 25: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead OMG there are so many retellings I want to read I just can't pick!!! I'm so excited for this month's topic because it's the best EVER!!!!

message 26: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead Okay, I think I settled on a few... Not sure how I'm gonna fit them in in one month, but I'll try.

- Cinder
- Seeking Mansfield
- Hunted
- Prom and Prejudice

(omg I'm so excited I can't even)

message 27: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Happy reading, you guys! ^_^

message 28: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Anything that sells itself as a retelling becomes an auto-buy for me, which means I have soooo many of them on my shelves. This month I'd like to get to:

A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz Braswell A Whole New World
Once Upon a Dream (A Twisted Tale, #2) by Liz Braswell Once Upon a Dream
As Old as Time A Twisted Tale by Liz Braswell As Old as Time: A Twisted Tale

Anna (RattleTheShelves) | 11 comments I've just started "The Forbidden Wish" and it's so incredibly good! I hate planning what I'll read in advance but if I get my hands on a copy of "Hunter" I'll probably read that, too :)

Michelle (Scarborg) (scarborg) | 6 comments I will DEFINITELY be reading The Shadow Queen, (if only because I have it already) but the jury is still out on what else makes my list! I may do some recommendation browsing just to down-select from all the myriad options!

message 31: by Maraya21 (new)

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) | 42 comments I've never read a retelling so i'm really excited for this! I will be reading:

- Splintered
- Heartless
- The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 which contains the first 3 episodes of the critically acclaimed series:
Episode 1 - Prince Charming Must Die!
Episode 2 - Happily Never After
Episode 3 - Revenge of the Castle Cats

I don't know if i can go through all of them but i want to and i will try my best (^_^)

message 32: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 212 comments Mod
Michelle (FaerieFits) wrote: "I will DEFINITELY be reading The Shadow Queen, (if only because I have it already) but the jury is still out on what else makes my list! I may do some recommendation browsing just to down-select fr..."

I totally just bought that book on Amazon!! I'm so excited to read that one too!

message 33: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 59 comments Janeli wrote: "I'll be reading:
- Wintersong
- ACOTAR and ACOMAF
- Hunted
- The Bone Witch
- Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book
- A Tale as Old as Time
This is a pretty ambitious TBR for me but I'm pretty confi..."

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on ACOTAR and The Bone Witch if you get to them - they're both on my "maybe" list! And I can't wait to compare notes with you on Hunted :)

message 34: by Alessandra, White Rabbit (last edited Mar 03, 2017 01:31AM) (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I'll be reading Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones and Hunted by Meagan Spooner!"

Great choices!

Evelien wrote: "I will also read Drown because I trust your taste in books, Inge, and it loo..."

Uhm, my "Throne of glass" books are currently in the hands of my friend so I don't have them :(

message 35: by Francesca (last edited Mar 03, 2017 02:11AM) (new)

Francesca | 52 comments I'm kind of cheating for this month. I started this book last month, during the badass females topic, but haven't finished it yet so I'm carrying it over but luckily for me it does fit both topics. I am currently reading A Whole New World.

A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz Braswell

I was bought it for Christmas by my sister and the reviews on here nearly put me off (it has a lot of negative reviews) but I'm glad I didn't listen and have read it anyway because I'm actually really enjoying it. It starts off the same as the Disney movie and follows that for a little while but then it breaks off into the new version. A lot of people don't seem to have enjoyed that approach but I thought it was really fun.

I may try and wedge in a few more retellings this month (because I really do love them) but I'll see how I get on with this and the other books I'm making my way through.

message 36: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "My March is pretty full, but I may try to sneak in Briar Rose and The Forbidden Wish"

I've been meaning to read Briar Rose for ages. I don't own a copy but I've had it on my amazon account for so long. I think the cover is gorgeous and I've been intrigued by the story.

message 37: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Dannii wrote: "Anything that sells itself as a retelling becomes an auto-buy for me, which means I have soooo many of them on my shelves. This month I'd like to get to:

A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz Braswell [bo..."

I'm currently reading A Whole New World and it's a really fun story. I also have Once Upon a Dream on my bookshelf which I'll be reading at some point as well.

message 38: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Stanley | 17 comments Still on 'The Last Wish' now Geralt has mentioned the Hunchback of Notre damme I think AND Cinderella! I wonder if someone will give him a contract to kill Rumpelstiltzkin? :P

message 39: by Natulcien (new)

Natulcien | 216 comments I'm going to tackle the 823 pages monster of a book that is Winter, wish me luck :-)

message 40: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Natulcien wrote: "I'm going to tackle the 823 pages monster of a book that is Winter, wish me luck :-)"

Good luck! :D

message 41: by Evelien (new)

Evelien | 28 comments I just finished Drown and tomorrow I will start the first book in the Woodcutter series, Enchanted (:

message 42: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Mar 08, 2017 01:51AM) (new)

Puck | 248 comments Mod
I just got my bookorders confirmed, so I can't wait until I have these retellings in my hands:
1. Kingdom of Sleep (a.k.a. = Spindle). I read the first book last month and I loved it, so I hope the second one will be good too.
And 2. Miranda and Caliban, which is a retelling of Shakespeare's play "The Tempest". I'm very interested in reading both of them :)

message 43: by Jana (new)

Jana | 5 comments I finished Heartless yesterday and it was the only retelling on my March TBR :(

message 44: by Natulcien (new)

Natulcien | 216 comments Jana wrote: "I finished Heartless yesterday and it was the only retelling on my March TBR :("

What did you think of it?

message 45: by Natulcien (new)

Natulcien | 216 comments Inge wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "I'm going to tackle the 823 pages monster of a book that is Winter, wish me luck :-)"

Good luck! :D"

Thanks, I'll need it :-)

message 46: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 212 comments Mod
Just bought Spelled on amazon for my kindle on sale! Just started reading it!

message 47: by Melodi (last edited Mar 09, 2017 06:27AM) (new)

Melodi | 7 comments I haven't been able to start reading yet. There are no English bookstores where I live. In a couple of weeks I'm going to my dad's house and he has Amazon Prime, so there I will order "The Forbidden Wish" since I've heard so many good things about it.

message 48: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Melodi wrote: "I haven't been able to start reading yet. There are no English bookstores where I live. In a couple of weeks I'm going to my dad's house and he has Amazon Prime, so there I will order "The Forbidde..."

Good choice! I hope you end up enjoying it. ^_^

Arika wrote: "Just bought Spelled on amazon for my kindle on sale! Just started reading it!"

That sounds really fun! Do let us know how you like it.

Jana wrote: "I finished Heartless yesterday and it was the only retelling on my March TBR :("

What did you think of it?

Evelien wrote: "I just finished Drown and tomorrow I will start the first book in the Woodcutter series, Enchanted (:"

How did you end up liking Drowned? You mentioned not enjoying it much as you were reading, did it pick up?

message 49: by Evelien (new)

Evelien | 28 comments @Inge: no, unfortunately it did not. I'd recommend not to waste your time reading it. It mainly was just The Little Mermaid with some small changes in detail. If you still want to, you can read it of course, but I was kinda disappointed ^^

message 50: by Cathy, Dinah (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Mod
Don't worry, Melodi, I haven't started any books for this month's theme either! I need to get a move on, but I've been in the mood to read crime/thriller books lately and there aren't many retellings in that genre (if any!) haha.

« previous 1