BookMooch discussion

International Mooching

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) After reading the recent survey results posted to the blog by John, I thought I'd start sending a few books outside the United States and/or North American continent. I've enjoyed it so far.

My only qualm or disappointment is when I want to mooch from someone outside my "zone" and they state they only use surface mail. For me, using the US Postal Service, I don't have an option for surface mail (which involves shipping and weeks at sea). My least expensive option is first class airmail in most cases. So, sadly, I haven't opted to mooch many books from other non-US citizens.

What are your experiences with international mooching?

message 2: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) I've had mainly great situations personally. I recently stopped sending worldwide for awhile because of the cost but I will start again soon.
I've always mooched from wherever with no concern really- because I have so many books the time *usually* doesn't matter to much to me but when I want to mooch from someone in the Philippines who only sends there that kind of sucks. But some people can afford it and some can't. Most people I've sent to have been very appreciative, as I am when I mooch from them.
You do have to be a little careful though- I sent one book (ONE!) to Japan once for over $22.00! The book wasn't nearly worth that much but I had accepted and didn't want to go back on it.
But I have met a ton of great people mooching and sending outside the U.S. I was and still am and angel too and that also helps with meeting and helping people.
I would suggest pricing the packages before accepting- that's what I'll be doing next time around!

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) Oh, I always price the packages before I accept. I'm on a first-name basis with my postal reps at two post offices!

message 4: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) That's what I should have been doing all along but I never thought about it. That one to Japan was a doozy though and I will from now on!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Would it not fit into the flat rate envelope? (The book to Japan)

message 6: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) It would have but I didn't know about that then! And you can bet the postal worker didn't inform me. I found out about that a little after that episode.
I still think that's a bit much for one book though but I enjpy sending overseas so much. The extra points aren't bad either but right now I'm not mooching anywhere near what I was so that's not hurting me. I just like when someone wants a book and I have it to send to them. I'll have to start again soon.

message 7: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I think I can send worldwide now (depending on the weight also). I used to limit my destination to the US, Asia and Australia.

But now the cost difference is relatively small, so I can send books to South Africa and Western Europe as well.

I used the lowest cost: using stamps ;) But around 15 books sent worldwide, none are lost and arrive 1 month at the latest. Probably because the postal office usually only serve airmail for small packages like book.

If I use land mail, the procedure is trickier and the book may arrive in 3 months.

And I love sending books internationally! There's just some satisfaction, despite sometimes the cost of sending 1 book equal 1 book in the book store here. The post office dude now knows me and every time I go there, the first thing he'd say is: "Now to where?" :)

message 8: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) There is some satisfaction- I can't wait to start doing it again myself. I did it the whole time I've been a member until recently and just between us, I still would if someone asked. (I have a hard time saying no!.....LOL)
We only have the air mail option here but if we did still have the surface mail option I'm sure so many people would also send overseas. Some people can't afford it and I totally understand that because I'm one of those people right now!
I have a few packages coming and going that have been taking awhile, more than a month or two. I know it happens sometimes but I worry about my books, more the ones going than coming too. Has anyone else's been taking awhile to go or come?

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (deldaria) | 5 comments A member in PA sent a book to me over two weeks ago and I have still not received it. I know it can take some time, but this is the slowest a book has ever been shipped to me. I will probably wait another week or two before I declare it lost. Other than that, all my books have been coming and going relatively quickly.

message 10: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) I wonder what's going on with the post? LOL You actually can't mark it lost for another 4 weeks, give or take. Within the same country it's six weeks and overseas mooches we have to wait four months. That just went up from four weeks and three months respectively. I've never had to wait over three months yet for an overseas package, or six weeks for a same country package but I can understand them doing that.

message 11: by Love (new)

Love (Mommyto4) | 5 comments I would LOVE to send far away but with 3 kids still at home..There is no way I could do it more than once..lol I am down 5 kids to 3 this year and it is getting easier but still think one more needs to move out for that extra money..lol NOT that I want mine to leave anyway but I should would like the extra money!!

message 12: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (220340) | 30 comments i love reading new books