2017 Archives > 2017 Karen J. Mossman, Romance Author Showcase

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 369 comments Mod

Karen J. Mossman

Karen J. Mossman

Joanna's Journey

Escaping a broken romance, Joanna runs head long into another, and then another. Managing two long distance relationships at the same time is complicated and made even more so when her best friend is a good looking guy who knows her better than most.

Set in the 1980s, Joanna and her sister, Sandie are two very beautiful women. After a cruel upbringing, both girls have their scars, but deal with things differently and as with most sisters, they clash.

When the unthinkable happens and Joanna's world implodes, she finds herself alone to face what she can't and won't accept. It is times like these you find out who your friends are and who you can trust, or more importantly, who you can't.

message 2: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 03:50AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Joanna's Journey was my first novel and her story isn't done yet. Joanna's Destiny moves forward 10 years and takes the action into the 90s.

It's another chance to listen to 90s music and relive the fashion. As for the story, well, Joanna's path has never been a smooth one and when we make our beds, we don't always have to lie in them!

We see Joanna take back control of her life. She is a strong woman who knows now what she wants and she is going after it.

You can read an exclusive extract here

I hope you will come with me on this new journey, but in the meantime, I shall tell you more about what started Joanna on her present pathway.

message 3: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 03:53AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Joanna's upbringing was far from conventional. She and her sister Sandie had Edna Glidden for a mother. She believed in perfect children and keeping up appearances. She thought being cruel to be kind was the right way to go.

When Joanna misbehaved she served her sentence in a little closet under the stairs, where it was dark and cold.

Things did not improve much when she found herself pregnant as a teenager. Edna Glidden was horrified and Joanna was too young to know her own mind.

Eventually, Joanna escapes and lives her life as a young woman in a flat in a large Victorian house. She hasn't seen her 'mam' for a long time.

Then circumstances bring them face to face again, and Joanna realises she is the only person that can make her quiver with fear.

Edna Glidden3

message 4: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:46AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Welcome to my showcase, I am author Karen J Mossman and I live on the island of Anglesey which is off the North Wales coast.

Me & Books

It's a really pretty place to live and being an island of approximately 22 miles long, I am never far from a beach. This is South Stack lighthouse on the other side of Holyhead Mountain. You can actually walk down to it, but its something I haven't tried, as it a long way down!

Photo 27-02-2017, 14 05 44

message 5: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 03:58AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Joanna's Journey was my first ever novel. The idea came from the Montreux Rock Festival back in 1984 when a young man came out to sing. I was blown away by him, his voice and his song.

Of course, in those days there was no You Tube or Internet and he was just a distant memory as I had no way of ever tracing who he was.

As this novel started in the 80s, I set it in the then present day and I'll let you into a secret.

Shh! Don't tell anyone!

In order to get the description and fashion for Joanna - I used a clothing catalogue and flicked through the pages choosing what I liked. I then used the detail of the fit and material!

Haha! Is that cheating?

Anyway, if you would like to take a look at where it all started, then here is the video.

Nino De Angelo - Guardian Angel

message 6: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:05AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Buy Links for Joanna's Journey

Itunes, Kobo, Barnes and Nobel and more

Direct from me - and choose a free book while you are there.

Amazon.com

Amazon.co.uk

Ebay

Book & glasses

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Review

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments A secret is a secret for good reason.

Kerry O’Brien has a secret so terrible it burns inside her. All she wants is to be part of a normal family, but with a stepfather like Bill, that is impossible.

Set in the 1970s when secrets like this were only ever whispered about, Kerry somehow keeps her humour by pretending everything is fine.

Then she meets biker Tommy, and he has his own secret; one that impacts on her.
Kerry’s secret becomes harder to keep and the tell-tell signs harder to hide.

Can she keep it together? Can Tommy and Kerry get it together?

Then the worst happens and Kerry’s secret is a secret no more.

the-secret

message 9: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:06AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments An Excerpt

In the afternoon, Mum, Jodie and I went to the park for a while and Jodie played on the swings. Mum covered her face with powder so the bruise could hardly be seen now.

We were going to the shops, which were closed on a Sunday, but Mum's friend, Mrs Kirby, lived in the flat above Seymour Meads, our local grocery shop. She was going to get some potatoes and chicken for tea. It would be really nice to have a proper meal, although I was suspicious of Bill handing over money like that.

"I'm really grateful, Bea," Mum said, as Jodie and I looked behind the counter, a place we never normally got to see.

"Y'know I don't mind, but keep it to yourself as I don't want Mr Horsefall knowing that I come down when the shop is shut."

"Oh no, I wouldn't tell anyone. You hear that girls? It's a secret."

"Good, don't want everyone knowing our business," she said, as me and Jodie nodded. Who would we tell anyway?

"Can I have some sweets?" Jodie asked as Mum rooted around in her bag for her purse.

"We'll see." That was Mum's stock answer for everything. I was looking at the till rolls under the counter and the little tin box with bits of paper in it, and a pen lying next to it on the shelf. There were a couple of pennies, too. I suddenly realised everything had gone quiet and I looked up.

The colour had drained from Mum's face as she stared into her purse. She looked like she was about to cry.

Oh God, he'd done it again! Bea looked sympathetic and alarmed at the same time.

I dug into my pocket and produced the fiver that was going to see me through next week and thrust it at her.

"I'll pay you back, I promise," she said looking so grateful. I wanted to cry, too.

We walked home in silence with the full shopping bag. Jodie skipped ahead oblivious to the way we were feeling. I was really angry but tried not to show it. It wasn't Mum's fault. Being gullible wasn't a fault, was it?

tearful

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Bill shouting

Some Secrets are hard to keep, but this was the 70s, and things like this weren't talked about.

Snow White

message 11: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:41AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments I have a newsletter!

At end of every month, it comes out with regular features - free short stories, book events, book trailers, reviews and of course news about my books, too.

I'd love you to come and join me!

Follow the link, add your name and email address and it will be delivered directly to you.

Sign up on the 7th, 8th or 9th April and leave a comment and you will receive this little book for free!

the-magic-of-stories-cover

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Like film trailers? Well, you will love book trailers.

Book Trailer for The Secret

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 18.31.13.png

message 13: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:11AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Buy Links for The Secret

Itunes, Kobo, Barnes and Nobel and more

Direct from me - and choose a free book while you are there.

Amazon.co.uk

Amazon.com

Ebay

Book & Glasses

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Review

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Magic of Stories
is my brand, my website, a book and a newsletter.

Take a break from the real world and enjoy some quick short stories both fiction and non fiction. On the menu, it says follow my blog by email and if you do every new post will pop into your inbox. Meantime, take a look around the site as there is plenty to do and read.

Link to site

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 18.52.21

message 16: by Karen (last edited Mar 07, 2017 11:07AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Karen's Book Buzz Blog
is the sister to Magic of Stories

Know your next book - if you love reading and often wonder what to read next, then this is the site for you.

I love reading and reviewing. I try to review all the books I read on Amazon and Goodreads as well. Karen's Book Buzz Blog, at the time of writing this, has 32 books that I've reviewed and features 17 other books that are all set for you to read.

On the menu, it says follow my blog by email and if you do every new post will pop into your inbox. Meantime, take a look around the site as there is plenty to do and read.

Link to site

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 19.05.24

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments If you wish you can follow me on Social Media, I'd love to have you join me.

Twitter

Facebook

Goodreads

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 19.12.50

Please feel free to chat or comment on any of the posts. I'm always happy to chat with readers and answer any questions about writing or anything really.

message 19: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 06:10AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Giveaway!

All you have to do is buy any one of my books from my website mentioning 'Goodreads'  and you will be entered into the draw.

The draw will close on Monday, April 10th 2017 and the winner will be announced on the Magic of Stories website and my Facebook page as well as on this page. You will have until 12th to claim it, otherwise, it will be drawn again.

Subscribe to both the above to make sure you don't miss it.
Good Luck everyone!
All Collections

Choice of one of these three books, signed by the author

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 13.45.06

$5/£5 gift card

17176022_10155996850117627_1222599305_o

A handwritten postcard especially for you.

17148725_10155996778017627_2108756026_o

A cross stitch of your birth month to frame or display.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments If you pop in say hello! I'll be around looking for new reads and chatting with other authors.

Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Joanna's Journey (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen J. Mossman (other topics)