2017 Archives > 2017 Karen J. Mossman, Thriller Author Showcase

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 369 comments Mod

Karen J. Mossman

Karen J. Mossman

The Truth Will Out

Kelly needs to escape from her abusive and controlling boyfriend, but she's terrified to leave. She’s then given a chance to start a fresh, but is the cost for her freedom too high?

Sarah is happy in her life. She has a dream job and a perfect roommate. But when a brick is thrown through the window, followed by a letter containing razor blades, her life starts to spin out of control. Detective Ryan Andrews is on the case and the two quickly form a close bond.

Will Kelly pay that price for freedom? Can Sarah's secret past be kept from Ryan?

In the end The Truth Will Out.

message 2: by Karen (last edited Feb 28, 2017 06:20AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments What is the book about? Well, I've broken down description to help with that.

Basically, it is about Kelly and Sarah as the stories switch between the two of them.

Kelly needs to escape from her abusive and controlling boyfriend, but she's terrified to leave. She’s then given a chance to start a fresh, but is the cost for her freedom too high?

Kelly lives with Johnny and keeps his books. His business is high-interest loans.But when Johnny wants her to take a bigger part of the business, it is hard to say no. Thank goodness she has Pete, Johnny's right-hand man and her friend from way back. He is the voice of reason and gets her out of some sticky situations.

Sarah is happy in her life. She has a dream job and a perfect roommate. But when a brick is thrown through the window, followed by a letter containing razor blades, her life starts to spin out of control.

Denial is the best way to cope, if she doesn't admit to anything, then it isn't really happening. Abby, her roommate is the daughter of a Cheif Superintendent and what makes matters worse is he doesn't seem to like Sarah much. Maybe because he can see right through her. But she has coped with worst men than him. Her saving grace is her yoga. It grounds her, it keeps her in the present, and she needs it to keep her sane.

Detective Ryan Andrews is on the case and the two quickly form a close bond

Detective Ryan Andrews is asked by the Chief Super to help with a case concerning his daughter. Who is harassing her and why? He soon realises it isn't simple of straight forward and he never expected to be drawn in by Sarah.

message 3: by Karen (last edited Feb 28, 2017 06:26AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments gold-book-worm

The Truth Will Out by Karen J. Mossman is a psychological thriller where the unraveling of a long-buried past puts the central protagonist on a collision course with disaster.

Mossman gives us two characters- Sarah Whitaker and Kelly Burns- whose destinies are connected in a very interesting way. Readers should pay attention to both Sarah and Kelly because what Mossman does with their stories is quite ingenious. Unfortunately, impatience on the part of the reader might easily cause a failure to pick up on the various clues as they unfold.

When we see Sarah and her roommate Abby, we witness a close bond and genuine affection. Almost immediately Mossman places the women in jeopardy. But the question remains: Is Abby, the daughter of a police officer, the target or is someone after Sarah?

The chapters move back and forth between Sarah and Kelly. We learn that Kelly is the product of an unconventional and difficult childhood. Her mother was her anchor so following her mother's death and later, a tragedy involving her father, Kelly becomes seduced by the financial rewards of a criminal enterprise. Kelly is a flawed character, yet readers will feel sympathy towards her because she regrets some of her actions. The trappings of financial security and power along with a misguided belief that an abusive relationship defines her makes it difficult for Kelly to abandon this lifestyle.

Sarah harbors her own secrets. As the plot thickens and the twists and turns unfold, Sarah's past is soon revealed.

Despite the dark tone of this book that clearly lives up to its psychological thriller name, Mossman sprinkles romance into the story. Detective Ryan Andrews is investigating the attacks on Abby and Sarah. Sarah finds herself enamored with Ryan even as she remains guarded about her life. Her past is catching up with her and it seems that the clock is ticking down the hours until deadly consequences occur.

Mossman's writing style speaks to both Sarah and Kelly's desperation. As I was reading, I found myself more interested in the chapters that were focused on Kelly. It was Kelly's story that drove the narrative and had a profound impact on Sarah. I don't want to spoil the plot for the reader but I will say that despite the precarious moments, there is a nice payoff in the end.

For its clever and well-executed premise, interesting characters, fine writing, and twists and turns, I give The Truth Will Out a Gold Book Worm Rating.

Tracy Miller of The Readers Review Room

message 4: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:23AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments This is my first thriller and I was very pleased to have Tracy Miller from The Reader's Review Room call it a psychological thriller. I supposed that's because we get into the main character's head - as does her stalker.

When I released it at the end of 2016. it was with bated breath. Would it be received well? Would the reader understand the clues and the story? I'm pleased to say they did, in fact, so pleased I collected a couple of the reviews. So do remember, we love getting reviews!

review

message 5: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:26AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments I love having a bit of romance with my stories, and of course, The Truth is Out is no exception.

One of the first thriller books I read was called All the Queen's Men by Linda Howard. It has a great element of romance in it, too. It's been a few years now and I really want to read it again.

Have you got a book that you loved enough to read more than once?

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 12.24.49

message 6: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:32AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments A Little Bit About Me

I am a UK writer and I was born in the beautiful city of Chester. It dates back to Roman times with buildings that are still in use and the city is surrounded by a wall You can still walk around it today.
This is one of the old building and can you spot the age of it?

screen-shot-2017-02-28-at-15-21-14

When I was five years old, we moved to Manchester, reputed to be the third biggest city in the UK. It was here I met and married my husband and brought up my children. In one of the local parks, there used to be a big and beautiful stately home. Unfortunately, it was demolished and this entrance is the only part left standing. It's magical to stand on the steps and imagine the people from years gone entering through it. 

longford-park-4

Now in our latter years, we have retired to Anglesey, an island off the North Wales coast. It couldn't be more different from a city as it's rural and being an island, it's never far from a beach. This is just one of the nice walks my dog and I go on and only about 10 minutes away from where I live.

photo-21-07-2016-13-16-18

If you want to tell me about where you live, I'd love to know what makes it special for you.

message 7: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:34AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Photo 16-05-2016, 21 38 44

I love to write in different genres, all kinds of stories delving into different things. I've recently completed my first Science Fiction story, which is to be included in an anthology. So this cauldron represents the genres and the one it doesn't mention is true stories. They can sometimes be the most interesting because they actually happened. 

Visit the Magic of Stories website and find some quick reads as well as information on all my books.

message 8: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:37AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments sarah
Excerpt
Because the truth has been revealed here, I've made some adjustments so I don't give anything away.

My whole body clammed up, and I broke out in a breathless, cold sweat.

“Sit down,” said a voice and because they didn’t make any immediate reference to the noose, I hoped it had nothing to do with me. I sat on an overturned box and there were a pen and paper in front of me on a table.

“Start writing what I say.”

I picked up the pen, but my hands were shaking so much I couldn’t hold it. I received a vicious dig in the back. “I said write!”

Trembling, I kept the pen steady. What were they going to do?

“To whoever finds me—”  I shot around to look them. “That’s right, you’re writing a suicide note.”

I jumped to my feet. “No, no, I’m not. I won’t.”

Nicholas threw me back in the chair.

“Fucking write!” The other one yelled.

Every nerve ending jarred, and I didn’t want to get punched again, I picked up the pen and wrote as tears streamed down my face.

“I can’t hide anymore, I’ve had enough. I want to be me again, and that won’t be possible now.”

I sobbed as I wrote, my dignity, my strength, even my bravery gone in an instant. Nicholas grabbed me, pulling me to my feet and shoved both arms behind my back tying my wrists together.

message 9: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:38AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments kelly
 Excerpt

It almost felt unfair to be in the hospital again. But here I was.

Ryan had gone off to have the number checked and do whatever it is coppers do. I was looking forward to Abby’s visit later.

The door to my room opened and a man wearing a blue motorcycle helmet came in. He was carrying a bunch of flowers.

“Delivery for Sarah.”

“Oh, thanks,” I said, looking at the red roses wrapped in cellophane and paper.

He laid them on my bed. The visor on his helmet was up and there was something about the way he looked at me. Something about his eyes. I had seen them before. He turned quickly and left. As I watched him disappear down the corridor, I felt a little perturbed.

Reaching over, I picked up the roses. They seemed heavier than they should be. I pulled back the paper and immediately saw something long and thin amongst the stalks. I ripped it open and a large dead rat fell out. It had been cut right down the underbelly. All its guts spilled out on the bed - red and shiny.

I screamed, leaped up, and started hyperventilating. The blood and guts slowly slid down the bed covers leaving long strings oozing to the floor.

Screaming like a banshee, I slammed myself into the corner of the room, covering my head with my hands.

Then everything went black.

message 10: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:39AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Welcome to my showcase, I am author Karen J Mossman and as mentioned previously, I live on the island of Anglesey which is off the North Wales coast.

Picture2.png

It's a really pretty place to live and being an island of approximately 22 miles long. This is called Trearddur Bay and it makes a lovely sunset, don't you agree.

Sunset 7

message 11: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 04:41AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments I have a newsletter!

At end of every month, it comes out with regular features - free short stories, book events, book trailers, reviews and of course news about my books, too.

I'd love you to come and join me!

Follow the link, add your name and email address and it will be delivered directly to you.

Sign up on the 7th, 8th or 9th April and leave a comment and you will receive this little book for free!

the-magic-of-stories-cover

message 12: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 05:20AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Just for fun!

Kidnapped

message 13: by Karen (last edited Mar 08, 2017 05:34AM) (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Let's celebrate this great three-day event with free books.

Just pick one  and place your order for an e-book here 

Awethology Dark     Ghostrly Writes

Cover    Awethology Light

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments 34

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments If you wish you can follow me on Social Media, I'd love to have you join me.

Twitter

Facebook

Goodreads

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Giveaway!

All you have to do is buy any one of my books from my website mentioning 'Goodreads'  and you will be entered into the draw.

The draw will close on Monday, April 10th 2017 and the winner will be announced on the Magic of Stories website and my Facebook page as well as on this page. You will have until 12th to claim it, otherwise, it will be drawn again.

Subscribe to both the above to make sure you don't miss it.

Good Luck everyone!

All Collections

Choice of one of these three books, signed by the author

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 13.45.06

$5/£5 gift card

17176022_10155996850117627_1222599305_o

A handwritten postcard especially for you.

17175947_10155996777347627_760829543_o

A cross stitched pincushion

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 19.12.50

Please feel free to chat or comment on any of the posts. I'm always happy to chat with readers and answer any questions about writing or anything really.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments If you pop by today, say hello. I'll lurking round all the genres seeing what people have and finding 'food' for my greedy kindle! Lol!

message 19: by Nix (new)

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments Karen wrote: "Just for fun!

"

Danny Reagan and family from Blue Bloods!

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments I love that programme! So that's good one!

Thanks for dropping by, would you like an e-grab bag while you are here?

You can see the contents here.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blo...

Just use the Contact form on Magicofstories.net

message 21: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 53 comments Karen wrote: "Just for fun!

"

Ryan Hardy, Mike Weston and Max Hardy from The Following.
I'll probably get rescued, but I hate to think how many bystanders will die during the rescue.. lol

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Haha! That would be fun with those three!
If would like a grab bag, too. Follow the instructions in the first comment.

message 23: by Marguerite (new)

Marguerite (httpsgoodreadscommarkie_madden) | 60 comments Hi Karen! Glad to see you here!

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen Mossman (KarenJMossman) | 47 comments Yes I'm mooching around!

Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Truth Will Out (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen J. Mossman (other topics)