The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > mental illnesses

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mon (new)

Mon | 26 comments its the time of the year where you're approaching the last days of winter (southern hemisphere) - you're about to put away your jumpers and bunny slippers, and you're in the mood for a bit of depression before the sunny and sometimes overtly cheery season arrive.

anyone got any good books about mental illnesses? I've already read a few too many non-fiction ones (which landed me a month of counseling, but thats another story) so fiction recommendations would be appreciated :)

message 2: by Bucket (new)

Bucket | 44 comments There's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which is a very interesting book. I'd also recommend Flowers for Algernon. The Bell Jar and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time are two I haven't read yet, but am looking forward to.

There's also Sybil The true and extraordinary story of a woman possessed by sixteen separate personalities, but I didn't enjoy that one too much.

message 3: by Mon (new)

Mon | 26 comments Bucket wrote: "There's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which is a very interesting book. I'd also recommend Flowers for Algernon. The Bell Jar and [book:The Curious Inc..."

Damn the only one you mentioned and I haven't read is flowers for algernonl but I'll definately check it out.thanks!

I saw that sybil book at a bookshop once, nice cover but that doctor reminded me of that crazy (or just a typical freudian) guy from the dice man...

message 4: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Definitely The Bell Jar.

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10089 comments Mod
The Seven Days of Peter Crumb A Novel - very messed up, but oh so good
The Ha-Ha A Novel - not so much mental illness, but war injury that leaves him handicapped, great read!
The Pleasure of My Company A Novel - great main character, full of phobias and OCD
This Book Will Save Your Life - another phobia OCD main character

Try those for starters :)

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 185 comments The Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True is a favorite of mine.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Katie wrote: "Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True is a favorite of mine."

Oh, mine too. I love that book!

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 176 comments Does the topic of a dysfunctioning family interest anyone in a book?

message 11: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments The Glass Castle - Jeanette Walls, My Lobotomy Howard Dully

message 12: by Mon (new)

Mon | 26 comments Sharon wrote: "Does the topic of a dysfunctional family interest anyone in a book?"

definitely (do i sound morbid? never...), they make you cringe with a salad of depression but a sense of appreciation, whether if it's your life or your own family, is irreplaceable :D

message 13: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn - the main character has Tourette's syndrome.

message 14: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Oooohhh... Motherless Brooklyn.. such a good book!

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I am excited about reading Motherless Brooklyn...On my TBR somewhere??? :)

message 16: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Lori wrote: "Oooohhh... Motherless Brooklyn.. such a good book!"

Angela wrote: "I am excited about reading Motherless Brooklyn...On my TBR somewhere??? :)"

I can't wait for the movie! Edward Norton! :)

message 17: by Liz M (last edited Aug 02, 2009 06:25AM) (new)

Liz M I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
Lisa, Bright and Dark
The Loony-Bin Trip
Darkness Visible A Memoir of Madness
Girl, Interrupted

Motherless Brooklyn the movie!?!! Could be very good or very bad, but Ed Norton......hmm.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments Motherless Brooklyn...eye catching title. I think I'll have to add that to my list : )

message 19: by John (new)

John Burns A Scanner Darkly
Not exactly mental illness but a fascinating depiction of the world seen through a malfunctioning brain.

message 20: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

A malfunctioning, drug pickled brain :)
That was an awesome novel, and even awesomer movie..er.. cartoon..er movie!!

message 21: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 246 comments Bastard out of Carolina by Allison is an incredibly well-written dysfunctional family story.

message 22: by Coco (new)

Coco (coco_) | 19 comments Jennifer wrote: "Motherless Brooklyn...eye catching title. I think I'll have to add that to my list : )"

That book was really good, much different than I had expected, with fascinating characters. Also for the list, Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company features a main character with a very extreme case of OCD.

message 23: by Jensownzoo (last edited Aug 07, 2009 08:54PM) (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments I also recommend I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg. It's one of my favorites.

I'll also add to the list:

Daughter of the Queen of Sheba A Memoir by Jacki Lyden
When Rabbit Howls by Trudi Chase
Electroboy A Memoir of Mania by Andy Behrman
The Day the Voices Stopped A Schizophrenic's Journey from Madness to Hope by Ken Steele
Mockingbird Years A Life In and Out of Therapy by Emily Fox Gordon
An Unquiet Mind A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)