Gather Yourselves Together discussion

July > middle of the book

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments I feel bad with how far along I am posting on the "Let's get Started" thread, so I'm starting a new one!

I just read a part last night that I didn't understand. What is going on with Bronwen and Huw? She was acting all awkward around him, and I'm confused. Hopefully I'll find out more soon? She said she'd tell him what was going on the next day, but so far she's just said she doesn't like Ceinwen. I hope this isn't going where I think it might go. That would be weird.

Also, and maybe I'll change my mind about this, I think it was pretty finky of Mr. Gryffydd to basically reject Angharad like that. Money isn't everything, you know! And now she's married to that guy she doesn't like! That whole situation was very depressing to me. I got the feeling that Mr. Gryffydd really cares for Angharad, didn't you guys? I mean, it's not that he rejected her because he doesn't actually like her. Or maybe he didn't LOVE her. Oh, complex human relationships.

message 2: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments And I'm back! Okay, I also don't like Ceinwen. Huw is being a complete and totally weenie around her! I just want to smack him! If he was being a dingbat around someone I liked, that would be one thing. But she is not likable at all!

I've also thought more about the situation with Bronwen. Maybe she's just figured out that Huw is in love with her and it makes her feel awkward? I would be okay with that. I think I'd feel pretty awkward if my bro-in-law was in love with me.

Also, how old is Huw supposed to be when all the stuff with Ceinwen is happening? Augh, I need someone to catch up with me! Meg, help me out! Discuss, everyone! Discuss for all you're worth!

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments Oh Meredith, I can't believe you. Do you really believe money isn't everything. What kind of a society were you raised in. (PS this is a joke)

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments HAHAHA Yeah, I never really liked Ceinwen, either. She's feisty - a plus with me - but almost nonsensically so. They both act so childish around each other. Which makes sense cause, hey, I guess they're basically still children. It never comes across as a true "love story" to me. But then Huw's relationship with Bronwen isn't a love story, either. Maybe each of them got just a touch of love from Huw, but not the whole package. It seems to me that real love would be almost a... combination of the two relationships? I don't know. But I kind of like it that way. It's conflicted and messy and confusing... like this whole book. It feels closer to naturalism than realism to me. I guess that's why I love it. Who says a touching and honest book can't be made from the random life of any random person on this random planet. Right?

Meredith--have you read to the point where Huw and Bronwen actually talk out how they feel about each other? Because it does happen. I remember it stays confusing and tense for a while, but eventually Huw is able to somewhat define the love he's always felt for Bron. If it doesn't feel resolved yet, it's not. But it will be... Promise.

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments I have not reached that point yet. I'm glad that they do though. I need resolution! I know what you mean about Ceinwen. Definitely feisty, but so irrational! And when they stay on the mountain, I just wanted to smack Huw. Don't be so dumb, Huw! Remember what happened to Meiryn Lewis!

I just read the part when Huw decided to go work in the colliery. Another thing that made me way mad. I kept saying, "Don't do it, Huw!!!!" Hopefully it will work out okay. But honestly, school is important, dude! Take the test!

message 6: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments Goodness, Huw is such an idiot sometimes! I was really disappointed in him after the whole thing with Ceinwen. I still like him a lot, but honestly, Huw! Don't you remember the awesome birds and bees talk you got?

The situation with Angharad and Mr. Gryffydd is so sad! I kept crying while reading it. It was so senseless the way it worked out.

Isn't it amazing how much gossip hurts? I'm ashamed to admit that I thought the same thing as Huw when I heard that Mr. Gryffydd had been visiting with Angharad. That part really made me like and respect Bronwen a lot. I can see why Huw has always really loved her.

Gwilym, after Huw got fired for fighting, just asked what is happening to his family. Isn't that always how it feels when you're in the midst of trials? I've certainly felt that. I'm sure when they were starting out, Gwilym and Beth thought their family would be happy, successful, good people. But then with everything that happens, with Ivor, Angharad, Owen, etc., they have to wonder how their lives turned out that way. What happened to all of their grand plans, their hopes and dreams? How did things turn out so wrong?

Anywho, this book is making me feel very melancholy! But I suppose that's what life is like, sometimes.

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 194 comments Mod
I was a little confused too Mer, and she never does come out and say what she meant that night, but it does delve deeper in their odd relationship later on.

When Huw is with Ceinwen is the only time in the book where I get annoyed with him. He says he doesn't even like her and that he would never kiss her and then one kiss later and he talks like he's in love with her! He seems smarter than to let lust cloud his intelligence.

I was also very disappointed with the Angharad, Mr. Gruffyd, Iestyn love triangle. I wonder how he felt when he realized she didn't end up having a happy life just because she had money. He should have accepted her and loved her and she would have been happy. I suppose men were like that once upon a time, but I have never met a man who really did something because it was what he thought was in the best interest of the woman he loved. I know I sure couldn't do it. If I loved someone, I would fight for them. If I felt like I wasn't good enough, I would do something to make myself good enough. Arghh! Mr. Gruffyd, what did you do?

I look at my nieces and nephews and sometimes wonder what they will be like when they grow up. They are perfect right now. They're adorable, sweet and cute. But aren't most kids? And yet, so many people turn out to be not too wonderful of people in societies eyes. Or they end up with heartbreak in their life. I loved all the Morgan boys, but as I read the part near the end where Huw got fired and his boss said "You Morgan boys were always trouble" (or something similar to that) I realized they were always in to some sort of trouble with people. And although I honor their fighting for what they believe in as noble, I'm sure a lot of people in the valley thought they were nothing short of hoodlums. If I didn't know Huw's thoughts, I probably would have thought he was a little punk for fighting at school and beating up his teacher. Even though I understand why they would've been trouble in the town, I still love them though.

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 194 comments Mod
Along the same lines of the above thought, I loved Dai and Cyfartha. They went about their lives, but used fighting to answer all their problems (and friends problems too). I would not condone that in real life, but in the book I was cheering when they came in and beat up Mr. Jonas. It's funny how we can love these characters when we know their minds and hearts. Which I suppose is a good life lesson. We look at people's actions alone and judge based on that. But sometimes when we know people's minds and hearts, it makes their actions more understandable and we are able to love them despite. It's a good lesson for me anyway.

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments Brilliant, Tiffany! I think that's one of the great things about literature. It broadens our experience, and therefore our empathy and compassion. Brilliant thought!