Book Worms discussion

Genres > Historical Novels

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 75 comments Mod
This is by far my favorite genre these days, and although I like any period I think medieval England is still my favorite.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Foxley (mackles01) Absolutely love historical fiction too, although I often go from crime/murder mystery. I have to say one of my all time favourites has to be Susanna Gregory and in particular her Thomas Chaloner series set in 1660's London. Very very good.

message 3: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Jul 31, 2009 10:43AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 27 comments Don't think I've read those, Sarah. Sound interesting, though.

I love both historical fiction and historical mystery. I think C.J. Sansom's Matthew Shardlake series, about a Tudor lawyer, is my favorite historical mystery series. There are four of them so far, I think, starting with Dissolution.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Foxley (mackles01) I've read them too, they are fantastic! Shame Sansom isn't releasing a new one anytime soon :( I couldn't put Sovereign down in particular. Those books just suck you right in. If you like Sansom I'd recommend giving Susanna Gregory a chance, starting with 'Conspiracy of Violence'. If 17th century London is a bit too late for your tastes Susanna Gregory's other series is set in 14th century Cambridge and starts with 'A Plague on Both Your Houses'. Am currently waiting to read the 15th novel in that series (Matthew Bartholomew series).

I also enjoy Paul Doherty, Lindsey Davis, Rosemary Rowe, David Wishart, Deryn Lake, Simon Scarrow, Andrew Martin, Edward Marston, Bernard Knight, Peter Tremayne, Marilyn Todd, R S Downie, Alys Clare and Ariana Franklin (to name but a few!). Do you like any of these authors too?

message 5: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Jul 31, 2009 01:22PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 27 comments I'm not sure there is a "too late for my tastes"; I'm not picky if the story is good. And the author can resist not using "suffragette" ahistorically. (As recently happened with Murder on Astor Place. My mother threw it a the wall, too, after the ahistorical use of "post partum depression," in her case.)

I shall have to look at Susanna Gregory.

I also like Steven Saylor, for the Roman period. My mother prefers Lindsey Davis. I've read Rosemary Rowe's first one, and liked it; she can be hard to find over here, though.

message 6: by Gabriele (last edited Jul 31, 2009 02:00PM) (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 4 comments Sarah wrote: "Absolutely love historical fiction too, although I often go from crime/murder mystery. I have to say one of my all time favourites has to be Susanna Gregory and in particular her Thomas Chaloner se..." I've read most of her Brother Bartholomew ones, and loved them. So, I'll have to look for the others. I'm soooo behind on my pleasure reading!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 27 comments Also recommend the Maisie Dobbs books, if you like historical mysteries. Set in the 1920s/1930s, but The War is always present.

message 8: by Gabriele (last edited Jul 31, 2009 04:08PM) (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 4 comments Susanna wrote: "Also recommend the Maisie Dobbs books, if you like historical mysteries. Set in the 1920s/1930s, but The War is always present." Fabulous! That's the era I'm researching for my latest novel.

I've read all of Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers, most of Anne Perry's, and some Marjorie Allingham. I adore those period mysteries.

I'm also hooked on Charles Todd's WW1 mysteries.

Maureen Jennings is a Canadian mystery writer whose books are set in Victorian Toronto. Atmospheric, obviously well researched, and they keep you reading. There's a TV series now, which, unfortunately, I usually miss.