Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - Jun 2014 - Avery Aames/Daryl Wood Gerber

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jun 03, 2014 11:42AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Our featured author this month is Daryl Wood Gerber, who also writes as Avery Aames. Official websites: http://www.averyaames.com/ and http://www.darylwoodgerber.com/homepa...

Daryl Wood Gerber is the author of A Cookbook Nook Mystery series, featuring an avid reader, admitted foodie, and owner of a cookbook store in picturesque coastal California. The series will debut in 2013. In addition, under the pen name Avery Aames, Daryl writes the Agatha Award winning, nationally bestselling A Cheese Shop Mystery series.

A Cookbook Nook Mystery series written as Daryl Wood Gerber

1. Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber Final Sentence

2. Inherit the Word by Daryl Wood Gerber Inherit the Word

3. Stirring the Plot by Daryl Wood Gerber Stirring the Plot

A Cheese Shop Mystery series written as Avery Aames

Charlotte Bessette, proprietor of Fromagerie Bessette, in fictional Providence, Ohio, in the Cheese Shop mysteries.

1. The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1) by Avery Aames The Long Quiche Goodbye

2. Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery #2) by Avery Aames Lost and Fondue

3. Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery #3) by Avery Aames Clobbered by Camembert

4. To Brie or Not To Brie (A Cheese Shop Mystery #4) by Avery Aames To Brie or Not To Brie

5. Days of Wine and Roquefort (A Cheese Shop Mystery #5) by Avery Aames Days of Wine and Roquefort

message 2: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 57887 comments Funny, but I just finished Inherit the Word.

message 3: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2014 01:06PM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3890 comments Mod
I have some of her books in my mountain, so there I go.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I have INHERIT THE WORD in The Pile. I quit reading the Cheese Shop books because of all the cheese talk. Made me nauseous!

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (knittenkitten) | 17 comments Awesome! Today, June 4th, is National Cheese Day - what better a time than now to begin the Cheese Shop Mystery Series! Adding The Long Quiche Goodbye to my growing Currently Reading list.

message 6: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I already have The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1) by Avery Aames , but I won't be able to get the other book. I've never read this author's works. On verra ce qu'on verra.

message 7: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I've downloaded the other book too. Which is great. I'll be joining in the discussion, having registered too late to do so last month.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen (knittenkitten) | 17 comments Luffy wrote: "I've downloaded the other book too. Which is great. I'll be joining in the discussion, having registered too late to do so last month."

Hey Luffy! I apologize in advance if I am asking a silly question, but being new to the Group, I was wondering what you meant by "registered too late." Is there a place that we have to separately register in order to participate in this month's discussion? Is there anything special that we need to do to join the author of the month read? Thanks for your time!
Best!

message 9: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2014 12:50PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 20062 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Awesome! Today, June 4th, is National Cheese Day - what better a time than now to begin the Cheese Shop Mystery Series!"

Not to mention that it's June Dairy Month. ; )

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Jen wrote: "Luffy wrote: "I've downloaded the other book too. Which is great. I'll be joining in the discussion, having registered too late to do so last month."

Hey Luffy! I apologize in advance if I am aski..."

No, you dont' have to register for anything. If you want to participate all you have to do is read the book!

message 11: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2014 12:54PM) (new)

Luffy and Jen -- You DO NOT have to register to participate in any of the discussions or challenges here. They are all on-going. You can go back and check out previous featured authors at your leisure, and join any of the current challenges at any time. Any challenge that does have a set run period will say so in the opening post (for example, S-P-R-I-N-G challenge ends June 20).

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen (knittenkitten) | 17 comments Okay, great! Thanks Melodie and Heather L.! Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't breaking any rules, haha.

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen (knittenkitten) | 17 comments Heather L wrote: "Jen wrote: "Awesome! Today, June 4th, is National Cheese Day - what better a time than now to begin the Cheese Shop Mystery Series!"

Not to mention that it's June Dairy Month. ; )"

Dairy Month sounds fantastic! Now I have an even better excuse to eat cheese by the handful and ice cream by the spoonful every day.

message 14: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I'm going to begin reading these two books. But I feel unprepared as I don't know what to expect, plus I reject a lot of books, so even with the best intentions I can't guarantee I'll finish the books. This is proving more difficult than I expected. I think that feeling explains the relatively few number of people who actually follow through with reading both books, considering there are over 6000 members in this group.

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 17 comments i will be reading Final Sentence. never read the author before.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 10 comments I have read all the Cheese Shop (Avery Aames) as well as the two Cook Book Nook (Darryl Wood Gerber), and I really enjoy them. While I like both series, the Cook Book Nook is my favorite of the two, and I cannot wait for the next one, Stirring the Plot, due out in the Fall. This is a great author, and I am sure you will all enjoy any of the books. What a great choice for June's featured author!

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 17 comments Luffy wrote: "I'm going to begin reading these two books. But I feel unprepared as I don't know what to expect, plus I reject a lot of books, so even with the best intentions I can't guarantee I'll finish the bo..."

there's no requirement to read both books.

message 18: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
You don't have to read both books. I pick an author to feature and list all of their books (bibliography). So something shows on our home page, I put up the covers of the first in their series. You can read any book they've written (or skip if the author doesn't interest you). If you've never read them before, the first in the series is a good place to start but it also depends what you can get ahold of. Many are familiar with the series/author, have read some (or all) and pick up where they left off. By posting a featured author instead of a Book-of-the-Month selection, it gives you the option of choosing any book by that author instead of all reading a specific book. I find it helpful that although some are new to the authors we feature, some are familiar with them and post giving us hints like if the series must be read in order, etc.

message 19: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Jen wrote: "Dairy Month sounds fantastic! Now I have an even better excuse to eat cheese by the handful and ice cream by the spoonful every day."

That's my justification, and I'm sticking with it. *GRIN*

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "You don't have to read both books. I pick an author to feature and list all of their books (bibliography). So something shows on our home page, I put up the covers of the first in their series. You..."

Well said! ☺

message 20: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Luffy wrote: "I'm going to begin reading these two books. But I feel unprepared as I don't know what to expect, plus I reject a lot of books, so even with the best intentions I can't guarantee I'll finish the bo..."

Nobody has to read ANY of the AOM books if they don't want to, and many don't. If this doesn't sit well with you, perhaps another group would be far more to your liking?

message 21: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

What Melodie said. ☺

message 22: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I do want to read these books and be part of the group. At the same time, with two books per month, it derails my tbr priorities. Also often, I tend to abandon books based on their incompatible syntax and pacing. What use would it to switch to another group. I'll find the same issues elsewhere.

At least I've managed to snag the two books of this month. That won't happen all the time. There will be occasions when I'll want to read but won't have that choice.

That makes it imperative that I read the books that I have succeeded in getting. Does that make sense? Anybody felt like that? Anyway, I've started reading Final Sentence. It's good so far, the sentences are often long and the paragraphs are chunky, so it's not yet guaranteed that I'll make work of it, short or otherwise.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hernandez (saniy95231) | 81 comments I never seem to have time to read the authors each month but I always add at least the first book in every series they write in my tbr

message 24: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I'm exactly midway through Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber and I can't pinpoint why I'm not enjoying as much as I should. I'll complete the book tomorrow, but it seems to be headed for a 1 star rating.

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 10 comments Luffy wrote: "I'm exactly midway throughFinal Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber and I can't pinpoint why I'm not enjoying as much as I should. I'll complete the book tomorrow, but it seems to be headed for a 1 star ..."

Luffy, just out of curiosity, what do you consider a good book? What have you rated as four or five stars? What author has succeeded in meeting your requirements for pacing, syntax, sentence length, etc.?

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (finegael) | 283 comments Love the cheese shop mysteries (see my reviews)..I am making a library run Saturday and will have to see if I can find any of the Cookbook Nook mysteries.

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 10 comments Jennifer wrote: "Love the cheese shop mysteries (see my reviews)..I am making a library run Saturday and will have to see if I can find any of the Cookbook Nook mysteries."

Hope you can find both of them! I am a big fan of Daryl/Avery's writing myself; if you like the Cheese Shop series, I am sure you will enjoy these as well. And we are lucky, a third is coming out shortly!

message 28: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I wasn't crazy about Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber Final Sentence when I read it last year. Lots of things just really irritated me about it. However, I really want to like something this gal writes because she seems like such a nice person. So, I picked up Inherit the Word by Daryl Wood Gerber Inherit the Word and intend to give it a shot yet this month.

message 29: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 57887 comments I recently read Inherit the Word Inherit the Word by Daryl Wood Gerber and I didn't really enjoy it. I found there were so many names of shops, so many characters, so many cookbooks mentioned that I couldn't keep anything straight. Who belonged to which shop? I needed a flow chart to figure out who was who. I prefer less work when reading cozies.

message 30: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Stephanie wrote: "Luffy, just out of curiosity, what do you consider a good book? What have you rated as four or five stars? What author has succeeded in meeting your requirements for pacing, syntax, sentence length, etc.? "

Oh dear, I'm not a very demanding reader, although I've abandoned my fair share of books. For cozies I like a balance between the amateur investigation and the humdrum life of the heroine.

If the murderer's identity is a big surprise, then an okay book can get a 4 star with a strong finish. I'm also sensitive to the stress level and danger the heroine places herself in. In Final Sentence that is not done well IMHO.

Out of the 260 books I've read since joining, I've given 36 books 5 stars. A few of those books are cozy mysteries.

One or two of the Diva series were special. But the cozy I've rated the highest are the Pizza Lovers series by Chris Cavender. The first 5 books all gained 5 stars from me.

message 31: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I've read Final Sentence. It exceeded expectations for me after a tepid beginning. I hadn't much hope in me finding the murderer. I liked Katie most of all the characters of this book. I even liked the token stud Rhett. Dear me if I keep going like this, this post will be better than the uninspired review I've just written for this book.

The reason I didn't think of ditching this book when it was devoid of pizzazz, is the way the words were strung together. They were agreeable to me. Some books, like Louise Penny books or Diane Mott Davidson's are difficult for me to read, despite having an ordinary vocabulary. But this book was nice and good enough, and simply agreeable.

message 32: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 10, 2014 01:12AM) (new)

Rebecca Lewis Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber I have to admit, I got a little weary of some of the name dropping of famous chefs in the beginning. I was beginning to wonder if the Cooking Chanel had provided some underwriting support or something. But, once we seemed to get past that and really into the infolding of the mystery, it was really good. I actually enjoyed all the characters, even Pepper. The plot was not predictable, but I could see how we got the ending. That is a make or break point for me. I very much enjoyed this book. I may even try a couple of the recipes. And....it even had a cute kitty! =^~^=

message 33: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Lewis ☯Emily has reviews on Booklikes wrote: "I recently read Inherit the WordInherit the Word by Daryl Wood Gerber and I didn't really enjoy it. I found there were so many names of shops, so many characters, so many cookbooks..."

Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber I just finished Final Sentence. I wondered what you meant in this comment. And, I have to say now, I understand. While I enjoyed/liked the book overall, I got a little weary of all the name dropping of famous chefs, especially in the beginning. There were so many, it took away from the actual plot and story for me.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I'm about mid-way through Final Sentence and yes, the title-dropping at the beginning was tedious. I normally like when an author mentions a few other books, but in context. These felt wedged in.

It does get better mid-way through. So far, the story is good, but not great.

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Lewis ❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) wrote: "I'm about mid-way through Final Sentence and yes, the title-dropping at the beginning was tedious. I normally like when an author mentions a few other books, but in context. These..."

Agreed, yes. By mid-way, it is a lot better. And your description of the references seeming "wedged in" at the beginning is perfect.

message 36: by Jean (new)

Jean Harrington (wwwjeanharringtoncom) | 105 comments Since I don't like to cook but I do like to eat--ha!--I'm torn about reading Final Sentence. Strange title for a book with a cooking theme, or am I wrong there?

message 37: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3890 comments Mod
I've read the second one, Inherit the Word, and I've liked it. A lot of names too, but not annoying.

message 38: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Jean wrote: "Since I don't like to cook but I do like to eat--ha!--I'm torn about reading Final Sentence. Strange title for a book with a cooking theme, or am I wrong there?"

I noticed that as well. There must be a reason for it.

message 39: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Have started Lost and Fondue, up to chapter three so far.

message 40: by Jean (new)

Jean Harrington (wwwjeanharringtoncom) | 105 comments Now Lost and Fodue is a great name for a book with a cooking theme!

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 324 comments I'm about 100 pages into Long Quiche Goodbye and really enjoying it so far. Great characters and setting. I actually went to the fancy cheese section of the grocery store today and bought a couple of cheeses to have with the book.

I've traveled to Amish Country Ohio before and love that setting. So far this is just great.

message 42: by Jen (new)

Jen (knittenkitten) | 17 comments Melissa wrote: "I'm about 100 pages into Long Quiche Goodbye and really enjoying it so far. Great characters and setting. I actually went to the fancy cheese section of the grocery store today and bought a couple..."

I LOVE that you went to the grocery store and purchased a few cheeses to have along with the book. You know you're a book lover when you think about them even when you're not reading them. Great idea - I may do the same!

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne What a great idea to buy cheese! I love that too.

message 44: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaruff) | 93 comments Reading Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber Final Sentence and enjoying it so far, although living in Australia, none of the chefs or cookbooks mean anything to me and are a bit distracting. All the cheese talk makes me wish I had gone for a cheese shop book instead though.

message 45: by Jean (new)

Jean Harrington (wwwjeanharringtoncom) | 105 comments How about a weather theme? I'm thinking of trying Deadly Forecast by Victoria Laurie. Anybody read this one?

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 324 comments Well, I just finished The Long Quiche Goodbye The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1) by Avery Aames and thought it was a great start to the series. I'm excited to read the next one.

I liked the part where it was mentioned that the French Grandparents wanted to be American or act American, something like that. My Grandfather came to the United States from France when he was about 12 and I've been told he was like that. He always wanted to speak English and really be an American after coming here, so that part was kind of neat.

I really didn't guess whodunnit and I'm intrigued by the little relationship cliffhanger at the end.

Great choice.

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Lewis I finished The Long Quiche Goodbye the other day. The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1) by Avery Aames I am delighted for those who enjoyed it. I tried hard to like the book, but just could not. It came across to me as too much of a soap opera, foodie book, with a little mystery and a cute kitty tossed in where convenient for those who like that sort of thing so we'd read the book. And while some descriptions are necessary, my goodness, I don't need everything described in great detail. It all just became too much with too little real mystery-story development, for me. I wrote a more detailed opinion over on my profile. I did not want to get too long and unhappy with it here :-) I finished the book. But I don't know how eager I am going to be to read another in the series.

message 48: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Lewis Jean wrote: "How about a weather theme? I'm thinking of trying Deadly Forecast by Victoria Laurie. Anybody read this one?"

Hey, this is a really neat idea. I'd of never thought of a weather theme! Good idea, Jean!

message 49: by Jean (new)

Jean Harrington (wwwjeanharringtoncom) | 105 comments A very thoughtful message above, Kwee regarding Quiche. In my Murders by Design mystery series the amateur sleuth is an interior designer, so some description was vital, but as you say, too much can be deadly and I wanted that to come from evil intent not the décor! Anyway, writing is a complex game, maybe that's why it can be so much fun.

message 50: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Jean wrote: "How about a weather theme? I'm thinking of trying Deadly Forecast by Victoria Laurie. Anybody read this one?"

An interesting idea, but are you sure you posted this to the correct discussion? This is the Avery Aames thread, not the one for Victoria Laurie, or one of the challenge threads. ;-)

« previous 1