Books for Boys discussion

"Comic" Books

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (last edited Feb 29, 2008 07:27AM) (new)

Stacy | 2 comments Hey all!

Just thought I would bring this topic up since the group has been active lately and especially talking about boys who are reluctant readers. My nine (almost 10) year old is not what I would call a reluctant reader, but...I facilitated his move from a read-aloud bedtime story to independent reading at bedtime with the Complete Peanuts series. These days he tends to do his chapter book reading in the early evening/late afternoon...still preferring to do "light" reading or comic book reading right before bed as he waits for me to come and say goodnight after I get my 2 year old to sleep. I looked at the marvel superhero stuff but found the stories (or the new ones anyway) to be too sophisticated for his age and too violent - however, I do intend now to get Marvel's Essential Thor for the fall when we begin a 4th grade homeschool block on Norse mythology. From Santa he received Little Nemo and you can look that up in my books. He loves it, although the foreward says kids of the day did not respond to it at all. Most if not all the reviewers are adults who praise only the art (which is quite amazing, I must say). He has read the entire thing in order already but I catch him looking over it all the time. My kid is not the typical kid as he has not been exposed to a lot of TV/Disney so I don't know how most boys would react. Also, it does have some politically incorrect depictions of "natives" but these things can be discussed. Future buys include Tintin and Asterix & Obelix (which contain a lot of history). I use the term comic book here although I guess the correct term would be sequential art.

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt Casper (mattcaspermft) | 2 comments Hi Stacy. This is a great topic! I think that the graphic novel is a wonderful way to help reluctant readers (especially boys) enter the world of reading. I think that sometimes adults forget how abstract the concept of reading is to a developing child...it can be overwhelming. Graphic novels (and sequential art) provide a visual representation of abstract concepts. This allows a child to develop a richer understanding of language and the emotions that literature evokes. I think this medium can be especially helpful for children who have difficulty identifying non-verbal emotional cues. There is a woman named Michele Gorman (www.comixlibrarian.com)that writes about this topic and has many great recommendations within this genre. Also, if you go to www.emotes.com and look under the 'blogaboutit' section, there is a video of me speaking at the Public Librarians Association Conference on this topic.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5 comments I agree. My friend who never reads LOVES to read comic books.