Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2009-08 - Romance - Post August Reviews Here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cam (new)

Cam Happy reading everyone! Please tell us all about your Romance reads for the month of August here.

message 2: by Tara (last edited Aug 04, 2009 11:02AM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I just finished Enthusiasm and it was a charming little book. I gave it 4 stars, although if I was being less sentimental I would only give it 3. It was a fairly predicable book, but I loved how the author was able to put into print that teen angst of does he like me or does he not. I identified with the main character a great deal.

I would not say it is a Romance novel, but a romantic Young Adult novel.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I just read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. For a romance, this was pretty good. It was a very sweet story. Probably not the best for me to read certain parts while I'm at work, thinking about the fact that I have a one-year-old. Maybe if I still sat in the office by myself, but boohooing in an office with three other people is a little awkward. There were some parts, where I just thought it was a little odd that this woman would include in a diary to her son. But, I guess if you don't expect him to read it until he's an adult, then I guess I understand.

Let me say, this book greatly redeemed itself from the last Patterson I read -- Sundays at Tiffany's. Anways, I gave this book 4 stars. I was very interested in the book from start to finish. I'm not much for crying, but this book gave me no choice!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (manda_82) I read the The Time Traveler's Wife and have some mixed feelings. I gave it 4 starts but that was maybe a little generous. The story did hook me in, but I felt the book was a little too long for the story and it really seemed to drag in places, especially at the end.

There is a lot of hype about the book and for me I enjoyed it but didn't think it was amazing. I am interested to see the movie though.

message 5: by Laura (last edited Aug 07, 2009 04:01PM) (new)

Laura (lheeney) I read Love Walked In. Only two people had catorgorized this as Romance and I would have to agree that this does not really fit into the genre. This book is about many different kinds of love, but light on the romantic kind. I didn't end up liking this one as much as I had hoped to. It started off kind of whimsical and fun, but when the subject matter got more serious I felt like the tone was really melodramtic. I am still hopeful that I will like Belong to Me A Novel and I am interested to see if the continued story of these characters makes me like them a bit more.

message 6: by Cam (new)

Cam Have just finshed Eucalyptus By Murray Bail. This was more romantic than it was a romance as such. I would liken it to the tale of Rumplestiltskin meets the Australian bush.
A widowed Father will give his Daughter's hand in marriage to the first man that can name all 500+ species of Eucalypt he has growing on his property in central N.S.W. Ellen the daughter who is likened to the 'spotted gum' is noted for the freckled marks that cover her entire body & word of her beauty has travelled far & wide. An elderly expert arrives & looks to be a man fit for the job, but while he is romancing the Father with his knowledge & wisdom, a tale telling man is romancing the Daughter with his stories that are hidden in the names of trees. 3 1/2 stars from me.

message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I also read The Time Traveler's Wife and I am saddened to say that I didn't fall in love with it like so many people did. I am not sure if its me, because a lot of what I am reading is falling flat lately, but I really lacked the connection with the characters to motivate me to keep on reading. I felt it was a bit drawn out also.

message 8: by Lennie (new)

Lennie (wwwgoodreadscomprofileLennie) | 36 comments I read "A Love Story" by Erich Segal (5 stars)

If you're a fan of "A Walk to Remember" then I think you'll enjoy reading this book because there is a similarity between the two.
While reading this book, I couldn't help but feel for the character Oliver. Throughout the story he is portrayed as this tough, hockey-player type but when Jenny lays dying in the hospital from leukemia, he has a hard time being strong and you can see him start to shed this tough exterior and then he finally breaks down emotionally. A truly sad and touching moment in this novel!
If you plan on reading this book, I suggest you have a box of tissue with you (2 boxes if you watch the movie)

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara (monkeygirlsmama) | 196 comments I just finished The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton and I gave it 5 stars. It is romantic in an old fashioned way of a journey and life itself. I loved the magic of the romance, but I would mostly say it was historical based fiction. The romance was more of time periods and the way it was written....but there was a little romance brewing within. Absolutely loved it and couldn't put it down!

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara (monkeygirlsmama) | 196 comments So, I just finished Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris and gave it 3 stars. I really liked this book, but since it was such a quick read for me, I gave it the three. Being that there is now a miniseries based of the book that I avidly watch, it was a bit predictable for me at this point. I am going to read the rest of the books in this series though and I am sure I will love them all! Great vampire book! The romance aspect is the relationship of Bill (a vampire) and Sookie (an average waitress with above average abilities). Great the way the are drawn to each other.

message 11: by Cam (new)

Cam It's great Sara that you've enjoyed both that you've read. The Forgotten Garden I really enjoyed myself - haven't been game to go vamp as yet. But am sure I will in the future as I've accidentally bought two not realising they were of the fanged variety.

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (monkeygirlsmama) | 196 comments Cam: wrote: "It's great Sara that you've enjoyed both that you've read. The Forgotten Garden I really enjoyed myself - haven't been game to go vamp as yet. But am sure I will in the future as I've accidentally ..."

Cam, the vampire variety is guilty pleasure for me....I will say I am enjoying this series more than I did Twilight series, probably because it actually is a longer series.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments I read Addition by Toni Jordan. It was a nice quick read which was great since any longer and it would have driven me crazy.

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I read Body Surfing by Anita Shreve. I enjoy her writing style, but this wasn't my favorite of hers. I also read Girl with a Pearl Earring. That I thoroughly enjoyed.

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Lauren wrote: "I read Addition by Toni Jordan. It was a nice quick read which was great since any longer and it would have driven me crazy."
I know exactly what you mean. I had a hard time with all the counting and her love and tidbits about Tesla. The love story was quite good though.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments I listened to The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger on my roadtrip this past week.

While I enjoyed the story and was really interested most of the way through, the ending dropped the ball. I thought the ending (and some other bits too) really dragged and it was a challenge to pay attention to the story all the way to the end. (Plus by the end the male narrator's voice was really annoying so that didn't help either!)

message 17: by Cam (last edited Aug 16, 2009 07:56AM) (new)

Cam Have just finished The Blind Assassin By Margaret Atwood. Was suprised having read this that it was again like many of the others this month, been classified as Romance - but quite a few people have listed it as such. It was a great book regardless, the major story being that of Iris & her sister Laura. The beginning is totally absorbing & just when you've had enough settle in time, it swaps to a story within a story or to the story within a story within a story. Very different from the other Atwood's Ive read which are distopian through & through, only the sub sub story in this is. The real beauty of this story though I have to say is the elder Iris, & the world of the aged that she opens up. Atwood is so very unique & has the most amazing imagination, few people in my view could capture & own a character like she does. 5 Stars from me.

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I just finished Belong to Me A Novel and I gave it 3 stars.

It was just good for me. I would not exactly call it romance though. It may be that I am not the expert on romance novels, but for me romance should transport you to a place, a fictional world, that is different from real life. Where your husband or significant other thinks nothing except making your skin tingle and so forth. This book was not like that for me. It had a number of heavy themes and just a tad romance.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2791 comments Mod
Tara - I agree that as a romance I would rate it about the same. Not very much romance. But as a book in general I loved it. Especially Dev, who reminds me of my son.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) The Convenient Marriage, by Georgette Heyer. Three stars.

This Heyer is not actually a Regency, as are so many Heyers, but is set in about 1775. Horatia (named for Horace Walpole, her godfather) offers herself, instead of her sister, who is in love with a soldier, to the Earl of Rule. They agree to a "convenient marriage," but, naturally, adore each other without wanting to admit it. Gambling for high stakes, involvement with notorious rakes, and encounters with highwaymen ensue. The only thing it was missing was pirates!

message 21: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Lyn wrote: "Tara - I agree that as a romance I would rate it about the same. Not very much romance. But as a book in general I loved it. Especially Dev, who reminds me of my son. "
Dev was probably my favorite character. I kind of liked Piper at the end of the story as well.

Ya, Piper was my second favorite, followed by Elizabeth (I think) her friend that died

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments So far, I've read Body Surfing A Novel and The Last Summer

p.s. I'm giving away The Last Summer (so if you're interested check out my blog http://myteatimeisbooktime.blogspot.com/)

message 24: by Mita (last edited Aug 17, 2009 06:42PM) (new)

Mita (MitaB) | 104 comments I read The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks and I can only give it two stars. I was left disappointed mainly because I've seen the movie and I thought the movie was really good. The book, however, failed to live up to the movie and for me it felt kind of flat. It's still a good love story, but not as good as the movie.

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments I read Confessions of a Shopaholic and I could only give it one star. I've seen the movie so was expecting some enjoyment out of the book but I was quite disappointed. The heroine started annoying from about page 7 (which is never a good thing) and I found the story generally annoying and unrealistic and slightly worrying that some people may read this and ignore their own financial problems in the hope the same kind of thing happens to them. And the general approach of ignoring her problems annoyed me and I really wanted her to be forced to face her problems not get out of them as easily as she did (due to some incredible luck), as she kind of had to in the movie version. This is certaintly not my kind of genre and this book confirms that

message 26: by Cam (new)

Cam Getting the Girl By Markus Zusak. If you haven't guessed by now, I loved this book. It is about a teenage boy coincidentally enough called 'Cam', who is both lonely and alone. This is the story of his first love & largely the awkwardness of the age - peers, family & fitting in. It does start out with a teenage boys sexy thoughts but soon develops as the relationship blossoms. It is the Outsiders (A Romance) & it is a book that gets better, the more you get into it, the character & his narration do literately mature before your eyes. 5 Stars from me.

Mitzie wrote: "I read The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks and I can only give it two stars. I was left disappointed mainly because I've seen the movie and I thought the movie was really good. The book, however, faile..."

That was my complaint with A Walk to Remember, which is weird because I usually like the book more than the movie for most books. They usually explain things and contain more depth than movies. However, in the case of Nicholas Sparks, his characters seem to take on more depth in the movies.

message 28: by Mita (new)

Mita (MitaB) | 104 comments Lyn wrote: "That was my complaint with A Walk to Remember, which is weird because I usually like the book more than the movie for most books. They usually explain things and contain more depth than movies. However, in the case of Nicholas Sparks, his characters seem to take on more depth in the movies."

I had the same issue as well. The movies are better fleshed out than the books contrary to most other book-based-movies!

message 29: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments I read Swept Away By Marsha Canham and I gave it 5 Stars. On that note I will say that Romance is the category that got me reading novels when I was younger....who knew they had so many hot steamy scenes.. ;op I have branched out since then but it is still a guilty pleasure.

Swept Away for me was a fast fun read and it had several parts that had me laughing out loud, especially the parts that involved Great Aunt Florence.

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I read The Next Mrs. Blackthorne and gave it 3 stars.
This book was like watching a soap opera. It was highly entertaining and focused on two rival families in Texas. Its main story was a trial of Bomber Brown, a trial which Kate's father is presiding. Kate is one of the main characters who spends the book trying to concoct a plan to get her star crossed parents together. This plan was easier once Joss, her father's fiance, was in the arms of her uncle.
the author did a nice job making sure that even though this book is part of the series, I was able to understand what had happened in the past and was able to enjoy the story.

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments I finished The Time Traveler's Wife the other day

message 32: by Cam (new)

Cam Jennifer wrote: "I finished The Time Traveler's Wife the other day "

What did you think of it Jen?

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments I loved loved the book. I didn't really have any expectations for it. I think I read a few pages of it a few years ago @ my sister's mother-in-law's house, but didn't really want to start it. But I'm glad I read it, it was interesting with all the time traveling, but became easy to follow. I think Henry & Clare will eventually be one of those romantic couples people/readers will remember.

& the movie was okay for me. I really didn't like the Gomez character in it (he was so different from the way I read him in the book). And I wished they cast a different girl for Alba. So, I probably would have enjoyed the movie more if I read the book after watching it. But I HATE reading books afterwards.

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara (monkeygirlsmama) | 196 comments I just finished Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos and gave it 3 stars. I think that it had a slight bit of romance, but only touched on it. It is more a story of family and of a mother's love. As a mom, I was intrigued as I got more into the story.

message 35: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 145 comments I'm a new member of this group. This month's romance books are:
Micah I don't normally read vampire books, this is a vampire romance, but I had finished my book and still had 5 hours left of my double shift and I need a book to read for my breaks. One of my friends had this book available so I started reading it. It really wasn't too bad. A bit of mystery and sex and love. Not a bad quick read. I gave it 3 stars.
Impossible I received this book in a GoodReads giveaway. Thank you very much! It was very romantic.
I was lucky to have this book in my bag on a day when I could read a lot. I love the song that the book is based on. The author has taken this folk song and built a credible back story for it. A young girl's life takes a dramatic turn when she learns the reason behind the song that her insane mother sings. I will never hear the song "Scarborough Fair" again without thinking of Lucinda and her "true love". I gave it 5 stars.
Sanctuary Nora Roberts tells a good romantic story and an easy read. I read most of this while waiting in the ER.
and How Stella Got Her Groove Back Terry McMillan's very romantic book about finding a man in Jamaica.

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara (monkeygirlsmama) | 196 comments I just finished Belong to Me A Novel by Marisa de los Santos and I gave it 4 stars. I can't classify the entire book as romance. I think that there were parts of it that were romantic, but the book as a whole was more realistic fiction. Great read though and I enjoyed reading it after reading its prequel Love Walked In. As for romance reading for the month, I think I am done. Now looking forward to finishing a few TBRs on my shelf before starting historical fiction for next month.

Sara wrote: "I just finished Belong to Me A Novel by Marisa de los Santos and I gave it 4 stars. I can't classify the entire book as romance. I think that there were parts of it..."

Sara - funny you should say that. I read Belong to Me A Novel for the realistic fiction month. I also gave it 4 stars. Though the story was somewhat predictable, I found that I really enjoyed the writing style and the characters. In fact, Dev is one of my favorite characters of all time right now (It changes often). Probably because he reminds me so much of my son.

I am reading Love Walked In now and am about half way through.

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara (monkeygirlsmama) | 196 comments Lyn wrote: "Sara wrote: "I just finished Belong to Me A Novel by Marisa de los Santos and I gave it 4 stars. I can't classify the entire book as romance. I think that there wer..."

Too funny Lyn! I liked Clare and her spirit in Love Walked In....part of me hopes my daughter will dream and have the gumption that she had, and to still believe there is hope. Hope you enjoy the rest of Love Walked in.

message 39: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Aug 27, 2009 05:03AM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) Well, I have more than a couple August Romance reads. I may have missed one or two, but here they are:

Anticipation – Jennifer LaBrecque (249 p) – HRB# 228. Nick O'Mally embezzled a quarter of a million dollars from a company because he could. He got caught and instead of being put in prison, was given a public slap on the wrist. However, now he is being set up to take the fall for a more serious offense. And he's being fed to Serena Riggs, undercover cop. Add a bet that Nick can go 30 days without sleeping with a woman and it gets a bit strained. Unlikely but fun. (4.5/10)

Her Body of Work – Marie Donovan (249 p) – HRB#204. This is the precursor to Her Book of Pleasure (see above). The wedding that starts that book is the culmination of this one. Fairly graphic and sexy. Hokey ending, but what else can you say? (5/10)

Angry Desire – Charlotte Lamb (186 p) - HP#1846. A harlequin from More than 10years ago. I thought it was actually written in the 60's. It was pretty bad all the way around. Almost laughably so. Gabriella walks out on Stephen on their wedding day. She was traumatized as a small child when her uncle tried to molest her and then killed himself over the shame. So she was afraid to give away her heart. Gag worthy. (2/10)

Taken – Tori Carrington (251 p) – HRB#335. Seline Sanborn is a con woman who takes Blackwell and Blackwell for $750K. Ryder Blackwell takes it upon himself to track down the con woman. When he finds her, they find love. Some things are different with this one than most of these. They kill people, she is an unrepentant criminal, and someone gets shot. Hot and sexy scenes also help. (6/10)

Hot Stuff – Carly Phillips (377 p) – Annabelle Jordan is the oldest of the Jordan sisters. The three of them were orphaned and left in the care of Uncle Hank. Naturally they all grew up to be sports agents/publicists for the Hot Zone agency (Uncle Hank's firm). Annabelle has a bad history of falling for her clients. But when Vaughn (super hot ex football star) needs someone to help him save his image and his new hotel venture, Annabelle can't help herself. But this time the love is for real. I'll probably read the next two books in the series. They are an awfully lot like the Bachelor series with the Chandler brothers. Decent. (6/10)

Minute by Minute – Jo Leigh (251 p) – HRB#227. Meg Becker is a vet who has dedicated her life to the people on 'the mountain'. Alex Rosten is a world renowned columnist for the Washington Post. They meet and fall in love online. When they finally meet for real, can it stay the same or will it be the end? Alex has finally committed career suicide and is looking for a change. He's hoping that Meg will be willing to do the same. It was OK. The setting was lush, the characters felt real, but something was definitely missing. I'd give it an OK but nothing more than that. (4/10)

My Sexy Greek Summer – Marie Donovan (219 p) – HRB#470. A rich young widow, Cara Sokol, returns to the homeland of her former husband. Can she find love again? Can she put the horrible past behind her? Can a U of Michigan student really fall in love with an OSU student? What do you think? Yannis Petrides plays the male lead. (6/10)

Bare Necessities – Marie Donovan (248 p) – HRB#371. Bridget Weiss is a sweet Wisconsin girl who moves to the big bad city of Chicago to go to fashion and design school. She finds work designing specialty bras and outfits for strippers and big chested girls. She's one by the way (DD). When the guy she grew up lusting after is recruited by her family to keep an eye on her, he ends up keeping more than that on her. Adam Hale has come to the rescue. Fun and light. (5.5/10)

Sex by the Numbers – Marie Donovan (214 p) – HRB#403. The youngest of the Weiss brothers, Dane, is asked to find out who is stealing money from a firm. He's also asked to take on an undercover forensic accountant by the name of Keeley Davis. Sparks fly. Bad guy is caught. Love ensues. (6/10)

Hot Number – Carly Phillips (378 p) – The second of the Hot Zone series. This time it is the youngest of the Jordan girls, Micki. She is always looked at as one of the guys. What happens when she turns out to be more than that? Retiring ball player Damian Fuller is sure to find out. Odd storyline with the unplanned pregnancy, but decent. (5/10)

Hot Pink – Susan Johnson (295 p) – Just something I picked up at the library. Chloe Chisolm likes sex. She also likes tall dark men. Guess what she really likes. Yeah, sex with tall dark men. This book has a lot of that. I thought Chloe was rather a bitchy slut who sometimes acted like a moody teen, which makes it hard to really like the book. Certainly not a typical romance book, but not really erotica either. It's odd that the guy, Rocco Vinelli has all the good character qualities. Who knew? (4.5/10)

The Ex-Girlfriends' Club – Rhonda Nelson (249 p) – HRB#322. Eden Rutherford can't seem to keep her wits (not to mention her clothes) about her when she is confronted with Bennett Wilder. After the second time he dumps her, she starts BennettWilderSucks.com and starts the ex-girlfriends club. When someone starts posting on the site serious threats, she has to step in to protect the man who is going to hurt her again. I didn't believe a word of it. Didn't really like any of the characters. Didn't even like the sex much. Not the best effort. (3/10)

message 40: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Photojim wrote: "Well, I have more than a couple August Romance reads. I may have missed one or two, but here they are:

Anticipation – Jennifer LaBrecque (249 p) – HRB# 228. Nick O'Mally embezzled ..."

Ohhh....."Gag worthy" I'm still laughing :0)
That was awesome!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Photojim wrote: "Well, I have more than a couple August Romance reads. I may have missed one or two, but here they are:

Anticipation – Jennifer LaBrecque (249 p) – HRB# 228. Nick O'Mally embezzled ..."

Snort! "Gag-worthy"! "I didn't believe a word of it."

Tell us how you really feel!

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) Sorry, I started reading romance novels about a year ago. And a fair number of these are the Harlequin Blaze series (I refer to them as HRB's). These are the equivalent of literary sit-coms. They are short and easily digested. You know what you are in for when you open the front cover - one man, one woman, some minor obstacle to overcome, happy ending. Sometimes I read them out loud with my wife. Sometimes it is just something to pass the time while I wait for a batch process on the PC. I'm not looking for great literature here. In other words my standards aren't exactly that high.

But every now and again I come across something that makes me say, "My time would have been better spent watching paint dry." Any two or one out of ten would generally fall into this category. The Angry Desire was one of these. My book tally for the year is at 102 and climbing. If I had to rank them from best to worst, I would place this in the penultimate position. (Yes there was one I actually threw away the moment the back cover closed.)

message 43: by Cam (new)

Cam Photojim - Sensational - Harlequin, that's serious romance reading. So interested, is it possible on your rating scale for them or has one ever attained a 8+ out of 10. If so, what?????? Couldn't begin to imagine a review of that. Would be hard pressed to beat some of your others - very entertaining reading.

message 44: by Katerina (new)

Katerina I finally read my romance book and am reminded why I am not a fan of romance novels: in real life we can't skip the boring moments and we rarely feel like we are at the happily-ever-after moment.

I read The Princess, a sweet, Christian romance. I only gave it 2 stars because it was too sweet and everyone was too perfect. On the positive side, it was an interesting look at arranged marriages and reinforced the idea that love is more of a choice than an emotion.

message 45: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Aug 27, 2009 01:04PM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) Cam, I reviewed all of my books for this year. Two books made the 8+ list (Perdido Street Station and Nation). Neither of them is a romance. Maybe I need to be a little more generous?

Iris, I think you are missing the point of the romance novel. We already know that the heroine will end up with the hero by definition. We also know that they will end up happily ever after. When you start watching Columbo, you know that there will be, "Just one more thing" and he will solve the murder. Same thing. It is nothing more than fantasy.

Do you remember what Jack Nicholson said to Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets? He said, "You make me want to be a better man." We all have an idea of what perfection should be. If you read Vogue or W or GQ or any of the fashion magazines with tips and guides, you don't read them and think, "If only I had that $3000.00 pair of shoes I'd look just like her." Instead you think, "Wow, I never thought of wearing my gold kitten heels with black Capri's before. But they look great on her." (sorry if this analogy doesn't work for you - I work as a photographer) Cook books/Food Network give you ideas to try in the kitchen. Fashion magazines give you ideas to try with your wardrobe. Romance novels give you ideas to try with your love life. I've been married 17 years and this last year has been one of the best.

If your watching a cooking show, they don't show the time it takes to let the dough rise. They cut ahead to the good parts. I don't want my escapism cluttered with the boring moments of reality. We all know they are there, but we'd rather get to the good stuff.

Photojim. WOW. I agree totally. When I first graduated from college (back in the dark ages), all I read were Harlequin's for the first few years. I didn't want anything with any message, point, or substance. I still read them every once in a while, but now have graduated to the next level (Nora Roberts, Twilight, etc.) I might have to go back and put a Harlequin in there every once in a while. You have inspired me to simply escape every once in a while.

message 47: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Photojim, you have a way with words :0)
It was actually smutty Harlequin books that started my love of reading. I used to hate reading, then my friend introduced me to romance when I was 14 and that's all I read for a couple of years. I mean really who knew they talked about sex in books.
Then as I matured I branched out, and I pretty much read everything and anything now. I still enjoy my smut every once in a while, just to escape reality.
The best is paranormal smut. :OD

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) I read a butt-load of romances when I was working on my master's degree.

Slayermel - paranormal smut is flavor of the month just now, so you're in luck!

message 49: by Cam (new)

Cam Broke 3 fingers coming off my bike as a child delivering a box of Mum's 'smut' Mills & Boon books to her best friend. I still give her a hard time about that.

message 50: by BJ Rose (last edited Aug 29, 2009 11:45AM) (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Read The Princess Bride this week and really loved it. I have watched the movie numerous times and love that as well, so really didn't have much interest in reading the book until I chose it for a Read-the-book, Watch-the-movie challenge this month. When I watch the movie (today or tomorrow!), I'll be watching for the scenes that are given more background in the book, and thinking about the back-stories of Fessik and Inigo that explain why they hooked up with Vizzini. And I enjoyed the way that Goldman carried out the (false) idea he presented at the beginning of the book - that he was simply abridging a book written decades earlier by S. Morgenstern that had long, boring sections that ruined what should have been an exciting story, and all he was doing was getting rid of those (non-existing) boring passages.

5* read for me

« previous 1