Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Where Can I Promote My Book? > Non standard promotion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4627 comments Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help with ideas for non standard promotion; I realise some of you are probably sat thinking 'what the h*** is he talking about' well I'll tell you.
The design company I went with for my covers produced some bookmark graphics for me as a free gift the other day, and I have had 100 bookmarks printed (awaiting delivery). What I am after is suggestions for what I can do with these bookmarks that might help to increase visibility for my books and drive people to buy, or at least look at my novels.

If I have one problem, it's that the book the graphics on the bookmark are for has not yet been released, but I see this as pre-emptive marking (if only I had had the foresight to get the release date put on the bookmarks as well).

I apologise for the rambling, hope this makes sense.

message 2: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 861 comments Only thing I can think about is putting them into Carol's swag bags.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4627 comments Alexis wrote: "Only thing I can think about is putting them into Carol's swag bags."

I shall definitely go for that next time around. It might be too late this time what with trying to get them shipped and everything.

message 4: by Carole (last edited Feb 06, 2017 08:32AM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4610 comments Mod
I give them out in markets, drug stores, doctor's offices. Sign them- people get excited about our signatures- don't ask me why- maybe they are putting them away for Antiques Roadshow.

Do a giveaway and mail them out- signed. Grand prize can get a signed book.

I send them out with review copies too. People keep them and are reminded to look for your books.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4627 comments Carole wrote: "I give them out in markets, drug stores, doctor's offices. Sign them- people get excited about our signatures- don't ask me why- maybe they are putting them away for Antiques Roadshow.

Do a givea..."

I think a giveaway is a good idea, once the book is actually out I'll see about doing a giveaway with both books as 1st prize, 1 book (chosen by entrant) as 2nd/3rd/4th/5th prize and another 10 winning just a bookmark.
That should get some interest I think,

message 6: by Carole (new)

I agree!!

message 7: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
I agree with all suggestions and Carole we think alike, lol. My idea, is to use a direct quote about my leads favorite snack from the book, on the bookmark and leave some bookmarks on the shelf where those chips are, so people maybe think its clever and look for the book. Lol, its worth a shot, just try to tie it in with something.

message 8: by Alex (last edited Feb 06, 2017 08:51AM) (new)

Alex Carver | 4627 comments R.L. wrote: "I agree with all suggestions and Carole we think alike, lol. My idea, is to use a direct quote about my leads favorite snack from the book, on the bookmark and leave some bookmarks on the shelf whe..."

I'm going to try and work up the courage to see if my local library will let me put some in there once the bookmarks arrive.
I can then progress from there.

message 9: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
You should be able to do that with no issues at all. It'd be blasphemy for a library to turn down bookmarks I think lol

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4627 comments R.L. wrote: "You should be able to do that with no issues at all. It'd be blasphemy for a library to turn down bookmarks I think lol"

You'd think, and I hope you're right, but you never can tell what weird rules they have.

message 11: by Carole (new)

A library- That's a novel idea I think of. lol

message 12: by Kay (new)

Kay | 414 comments I had some bookmarks done when I released my book, my local library was the only place to turn them down :( They said they aren't allowed to give out promotional material, but others may be different. I went to some charity shops with them too because they get a lot of big readers that are looking for stacks of bargains by new authors.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4627 comments Kay wrote: "I had some bookmarks done when I released my book, my local library was the only place to turn them down :( They said they aren't allowed to give out promotional material, but others may be differe..."

Now there's a good idea Kay, the charity shops near me always have plenty of books, I'll have to try them and see if they're willing.

message 14: by Kay (new)

Kay | 414 comments You could also look at any clubs or groups near you that have some kind of link to your genre. Mine's fantasy so I got some to my local tabletop/magic the gathering gaming group, people are interested in local authors.

message 15: by Carole (new)

Today I took the bookmarks Brit made up and loaded them in envelopes along with a letter describing my different series. Brit made up cheap brochures- one for Michael's books, one for mine and another for the self-help books we have- She printed the information from Creatspace on how libraries and books stores can order directly from Createspace, but we included an order form from us- with prices plus shipping and handling.
She googled and printed every library, book store , camp and school in our area and I mailed them out today.

So, the reason I'm sharing is that anyone can do this with a simple flyer if they can't afford a brochure. I do it three to four times a year and always get mass distribution sales. If you are selling YA- you should be sending to to high school libraries, local libraries as well as books stores.

I had the added bonus of being paid to come to a school for the day on their author day. I made huge book sales and have been paid anywhere from 500 to 1500 for an appearance- depending on the school budget. They were happy to get me, because big names want many thousands of dollars. Every school has an author day and will pay for an appearance. We prepare by sending order forms weeks before and have all the books sales before we even make the appearance.

If you have adult material, then do books stores and libraries. I do get letters from people saying they found one of our books in a library.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread