Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

She Can Run (She Can... #1)
This topic is about She Can Run
Archive > February's Non Linda BOTM- She Can Run by Melinda Leigh

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Elizabeth was a young widow with two small children when she met Congressman Richard Baker. Handsome and wealthy, with a sparkling public image, Richard seemed like the perfect man to provide the security that Beth and her kids were craving. But when she uncovers a dangerous secret about her new husband, Beth realizes he will go to any lengths—even murder—to keep it. After barely escaping with her life, she and her children flee. They eventually make their way to a secluded estate in the Pennsylvania countryside, where Beth dares to hope she has found a safe place at last…

Forced into retirement by an unexpected injury, Philadelphia homicide detective Jack O’Malley is mourning the loss of his career when his uncle abruptly dies, leaving Jack to dispose of his crumbling country house. Unbeknownst to him, his uncle engaged a caretaker just before his death, a mysterious woman with two children and a beautiful face that haunts his dreams. Determined to know her, Jack begins an investigation into Beth’s past. When he uncovers the shocking truth, and a local woman is viciously murdered, Jack puts his own life on the line to keep Beth and her children safe.

She Can Run is a sexy, satisfying debut from award-winning author Melinda Leigh, packed with enough suspense and romance to get even the tamest heart racing!

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I'm currently reading this one.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I've got it on hold at the library. I should get it pretty soon.

message 4: by Eve (last edited Feb 13, 2017 03:31AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments My copy of She Can Run should arrive within the next week, so I try to read it before the end of this month.

In She Can Run the villain appears to be Congressman. Hmm, another political figure who's portrayed as rotten / unscrupulous / abusive / with criminal tendences. Its kinda funny how often writers and scenarist portray political figures (congressmans, senators, etc) like this (Linda Howard have also flushed down the toilet some senators and one mayor). Well, lets hope its just another stereotype that does not apply in most cases. Like people say that women are bad drivers but it's certainly not true in all cases ;)

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am about half way through and am looking forward to talking to all of you about it. Since I am able to put it down and not go back to it for a bit I am going to say the to to me is only ok. Beth is holding all her secrets close and didn't even tell her Uncle James, just asked him to trust her. While his life, as well as Jack's life, is being put on the line. Perhaps it is just me, but I don't like these kinds of secrets. I understand Beth needs to be discreet, but the important people should be let in. She hasn't come clean yet and for the life of me I can't understand why she is not talking.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Also among all this secrecy there is a serial killer running around and he has his sites set on Beth. Also Uncle James is psychic, and he is aware that her life is on the line. Not from her creep of an ex-husband but the killer too. He just hasn't put it altogether.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 138 comments Dee wrote: "Also among all this secrecy there is a serial killer running around and he has his sites set on Beth. Also Uncle James is psychic, and he is aware that her life is on the line. Not from her creep o..."

It sounds interesting, Dee! I just got this from the library and will try to get to it quickly so we can discuss! It's been kind of crazy at home lately and it's been hard to keep up with my groups, but things are beginning to settle down a bit. Hopefully it will stay that way for awhile! : )

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I've finished. I had likes and dislikes and can't wait to hear what others thought.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1578 comments I just picked this one up from the library. It better be good because I'm actually reading a real paperback book (I'm an e-book snob, you see).

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments We won't hold that against you. LOL

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1578 comments I just finished and I have to say that Henry is my favorite character in this book. That is how to write a really good part for a dog.

I agree that Beth kept her secrets to long. At least Uncle James knew that Richard was the cause for her vanishing and got the proof. She really should have trusted Jack sooner, but at least she did finally trust him.

I had Jeff as the baddie from the beginning. I think I'm just getting better at spotting them.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I loved Henry too! He was probably my favorite also. I love when an author can add a dog in just the right way.

I had picked Jeff as well as the other options just didn't "click" for me.

I thought the Uncle James character was underused. There is this built up of his discovering information about Richard as well as the "insight" that he had. But he came on to the crime scene pretty much after the fact. It was a bit anti climatic from his character's standpoint. (IMO)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1578 comments As an "old fart" myself, I loved seeing that Uncle James was still just as sharp now as in his younger days. He was great.