UK Book Club discussion

Your Reading Experience > "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 16 comments Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

The essence of the book is the “pride” of Darcy and the “prejudice” of Elisabeth against him and the subsequent resolutions thereof. Darcy has an inborn pride in him that makes him, at his first introduction to the reader, unpopular at the assembly ball. “His manners gave a disgust...for he was discovered to be proud; to be above his company and above being pleased.” Elizabeth is immediately prejudiced against him.
Nevertheless, despite his pride he, against his will, falls in love with Elizabeth. And his love reaches a climax when at “Rosings” he declares his love to her.
However, by then Elizabeth is completely prejudiced against him. She believes Wickam’s story of how Darcy has mistreated and ruined him. Further, she has learnt that Darcy has been instrumental in breaking off Bingley’s love affair with her sister, Jane.
Hence, she refuses his offer and she is also angered by his way of proposing to her. He is confident that Elizabeth, being on a lower social level than he, will jump at his offer. She says: “had you behaved in a more gentlemanlike manner...”
Darcy is humbled by her refusal of his love and ponders over her remark, “Had you behaved in a more gentlemanlike manner...” He begins to change and his pride to disappear and his love for her strengthens.
Meanwhile, Elizabeth’s prejudice also diminishes. When she reads his letter she believes in the rascality of Wickam and realizes that Darcy is, after all, not the “bad guy” she thought he was. When she visits “Pemberly” with Mr and Mrs Gardiner, the splendour of the place dazzles her. Her encounter there with Darcy and his changed, “gentlemanlike” behavior further draws her to him: she reciprocates his love and begins to love him, all her prejudice resolved!
Then came Lydia’s elopement with Wickam and the role Darcy played in bringing about their marriage. Her gratitude to him further strengthens her regard and love for him.
The introduction of Mr Collins into the novel with his silly, odd behaviour and his preoccupation with the magnificence of “Rosings” brings some “comic relief” to the story and adds much to the popularity of the novel.
At the same time the author makes a point re the marriage of Charlotte with Mr Collins.
Charlotte is not “in love” with Mr Collins, though she marries him. She wants to settle down in life and have a good home. Despite his idiosyncrasies, Mr Collins is a respectable man with a good income. I think the point that Jane Austen wishes to make is that passionate love is not an essential prerequisite to a happy marriage and a happy family life; that “falling in love” before marriage as advocated by the Bennet sisters is not essential.

message 2: by S.T. (new)

S.T. Sanchez | 4 comments Someday I hope to get through the book. But I love the movie! It's the one movie I can watch over and over again and not get tired.