UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Book Recommendations > J K Rowling’s Harry Potter Series

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 21 comments J K Rowling’s Harry Potter Series

The series took the world by storm. Her first book, “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone”, was real literary magic and enmeshed the reader. Her next two books were not that “magical”, but nevertheless still continued to enthrall the reader. Her balance four books were “ordinary” books. However, by then the reader was thoroughly hooked and continued to read till the very end of the very last chapter of the 7th novel.
I was one of those readers!

message 2: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Has anyone not read these yet?

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I know people who haven't - big readers too. I think it's a sort of snobbery.

message 4: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Over the years I've met a significant number of readers who will read almost anything, except any form of fantasy.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments B J wrote: "Over the years I've met a significant number of readers who will read almost anything, except any form of fantasy."

You mean the folk who are unable to make the leap from what is to what might be?

message 6: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3055 comments Sorry but I have to disagree with the other books being 'not that magical' and 'ordinary'. I think she got better as she went along and I loved how her books became more mature as the characters did, something you don't get very often.

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I agree, Claire. It's also responsible for lads carrying a book around school to read in the break and lunch periods - something never seen before.

message 8: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Elizabeth wrote: "B J wrote: "Over the years I've met a significant number of readers who will read almost anything, except any form of fantasy."

You mean the folk who are unable to make the leap from what is to wh..."

Yes. My brother-in-law was one. An avid reader, particularly of non-fiction, he happily read fiction as long as it was set in the real world and peopled with credible characters wrestling with real-world problems.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments B J wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "B J wrote: "Over the years I've met a significant number of readers who will read almost anything, except any form of fantasy."

You mean the folk who are unable to make the leap ..."

I wonder what his concept of escapism was?

message 10: by B J (last edited Feb 28, 2017 12:42PM) (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments He was the most involved man I've ever met. You know the saying, 'If you want something done ask a busy person'; he was that person. He was involved as a volunteer in a bewildering number of activities.
He loved people. I once asked him the escapism question (when he was needlessly apologising for not having read my fantasy books). He said, 'I don't feel any need to escape. I enjoy every hour of every day of my life.'

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments B J wrote: "He was the most involved man I've ever met. You know the saying, 'If you want something done ask a busy person'; he was that person. He was involved as a volunteer in a bewildering number of activi..."

An extremely fortunate man then, in perhaps the best way possible.

message 12: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Indeed he was - except for dying far too young as a result of asbestosis. Sadly missed.

message 13: by T4bsF (Call me Flo) (last edited Mar 01, 2017 01:20PM) (new)

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Darren wrote: "Has anyone not read these yet?"

I haven't - and have no intention of reading them. Certainly not from any sort of snobbery - I could never be accused of that - I even read 50sog - so I can't be a snob!!. A Witches and Wizards theme just doesn't do it for me! I half watched the first HP film - but just not my cup of tea!

message 14: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 21 comments Harry Potter: Book or Movie?

The Harry Potter movies were magnificent and many came to know Harry Potter through them. Most of them never cared to read the books!
However, though I liked the movies, I liked the books much more. The "magic" of the books was not there in the movies. Moreover, it is difficult to condense in a movie all the stuff contained in a whole book.

message 15: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 21 comments Some of the Main Characters in the Series

Harry Potter is, of course, the hero of the series, the boy destined to finish off Lord Voldemort, the villain of the series.

Hermione Granger is the main heroine of the series. Though she comes from a "non-magical" family, she is a “know-all” of all things magical! Her knowledge of magic helps Harry a great deal in his quest to vanquish Lord Voldemort.

Ginny Weasley can also be termed a heroine of the series. She plays a vital role in the second book, "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". And, of course, she eventually marries Harry Potter.

Ron Weasley is Harry’s best friend and takes part in all his adventures, together with Hermione Granger.

Draco Malfoy is a “villain” of the series. He baits Harry continually throughout school and then, as an adult, he becomes one of the "dark lord's" supporters. However, at the very end he does appear to repent of his ways.