Tournament of Books discussion

Mister Monkey
This topic is about Mister Monkey
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 TOB -The Books > Mister Monkey

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (asawatzky) | 1590 comments space to discuss Mister Monkey by Francine Prose

Sherri (sherribark) | 357 comments Wow, no discussion on this one yet? I'll just say this is the only book in the tournament I haven't liked so far (I've read 9). I wish we could have gotten American Housewife or even Today Will be Different instead.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 10, 2017 05:00PM) (new)

Sherri wrote: "Wow, no discussion on this one yet? I'll just say this is the only book in the tournament I haven't liked so far ..."

I despised this book, save for a couple of chapters. I've been quiet in this thread because I know some people in our group liked it, and I ranted about it in "The Shortlist" thread.

Alison Hardtmann (ridgewaygirl) | 444 comments I liked it and I hope it does well in the Tournament because I think it's worth discussing.

I love the format of the related short stories that tie together in the end.

Dianah (fig2) | 255 comments I really loved this one. To me, it felt like it was about empathy, and how folks are all the same underneath. But, I can see how others might not like it.

Michelle | 155 comments This is my second go around with Mister Monkey. The first time I quit fairly early on. Because it made the shortlist I am trying the audio version this time.

Matthew | 74 comments Dianah wrote: "I really loved this one. To me, it felt like it was about empathy, and how folks are all the same underneath. But, I can see how others might not like it."

Three chapters in and I'm really liking it so far. But now I'm beginning chapter four which is from the pov of 5 year old Edward, and it seems as though the thoughts and emotions ascribed to him by the narrator are too grown up. Hopefully it doesn't become too distracting.

Heather (hlynhart) | 297 comments I'm up to the "Ray the author" chapter and I really like it. I like books that let me live in a bunch of different characters' heads. And maybe it's the "44-year-old former theater major with one failed marriage and a failed engagement behind me before I married my current husband" talking, but, uh, I really related to Margot.

Ruthiella | 329 comments Does any one have any ideas of what exactly comes out of the sky at the end when Mario, Margo and Rodger are talking and why the Monkey King cannot see them? I don't know why but I picture them being squashed by a comet or something equally cartoonish. Did I miss something?

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) | 156 comments I liked this quite a bit. I always like connected short stories and I thought the characters were pretty interesting.

Deborah (brandiec) | 113 comments Gayla wrote: "I liked this quite a bit. I always like connected short stories and I thought the characters were pretty interesting."

Interesting, Gayla; I never thought of Mr. Monkey as linked short stories. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had.

Susanw | 21 comments I just finished this and really liked it. I knew nothing about it going in. I read it immediately after finishing Homegoing and while that was of a much more serious topic on the surface, they were very similar in format. Both of the linked short story type. Where any one chapter could have been it's own book, yet still related to all the others. While Homegoing progressed in time while changing characters and moving the large story arc, Mister Monkey showed how internally things are very different than when they are viewed externally by someone else. Which is also an important thing to remember when we look at others, they have their own view and reasons for acting like they do. Usually ones we can't image.

Lauren | 1 comments I really liked the way the stories were connected. I liked that it was linear, not parallel. the writing was not extremely strong but I'm glad tob brought it on my radar.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mister Monkey (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Francine Prose (other topics)