Tournament of Books discussion

The Throwback Special
This topic is about The Throwback Special
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 TOB -The Books > The Throwback Special

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Ruthiella | 329 comments I don't really see this one going far in the TOB but I really had fun reading it. I thought it was pretty funny. I don't know if I will remember much of it years from now and it was hard to keep the guys straight, but I laughed out loud while reading it. And I don't know the first thing about football either.

Beth Dean (readremark) | 29 comments Totally agree!

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 236 comments That's my thought, too. I'm curious how much actual discussion it will even generate, if it doesn't (as I expect) make it out of the play-in round. I suspect the other 2 sports books have more fervent admirers & detractors both, while this one just sits somewhere in the 'that wasn't half-bad!' pile.

Ehrrin | 114 comments I liked this one quite a bit!

Definitely much more than I anticipated given the subject matter. That said, I *loved* both Sudden Death and Sport of Kings, and this one is a distant third for me.

Dustin (dusty3302) | 30 comments I was a little skeptical about this story early on but ended up really enjoying it. Even though we all knew what the ending would be, (SPOILERS?)them actually reenacting the play, I still really enjoyed how the author handled it. There was more there than I thought there would be.

I agree with the rest of you, not sure it will make it too far, but I'm glad I read it.

Trudie (trudieb) | 27 comments I didn't mind this one either, despite knowing absolutely nothing about football. The writing is good and I found it funny and touchingly insightful in places. I do think he went on a few flights of fancy occasionally that sort of lost my goodwill, but its a solid little book.

Kristel (kristelh) | 27 comments I enjoyed to look at the inner life and friendships of men.

Dianah (fig2) | 255 comments Yep, I liked this a lot and I hate football. I also found the inner life of disillusioned men to be really (surprisingly) interesting.

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) | 156 comments I liked this one, although I'm not sure I'll remember it a year from now. I don't expect it to make it out of the playoff round but I will keep an eye out for whatever Bachelder writes next.

message 11: by Mindy (last edited Feb 18, 2017 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) | 49 comments As I mentioned on the general discussion thread, this one is my favorite of the 11 I've read thus far.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Throwback Special (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chris Bachelder (other topics)