Play Book Tag discussion

Victoria
This topic is about Victoria
Archive: Other Books > Victoria by Daisy Goodwin -- 1.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7623 comments Victoria by Daisy Goodwin
1.5 stars (round up to 2, barely)

Fair warning: I have not had a lot of time to read print books lately so part of my judgment may be that I simply could not read in large enough chunks to really get into the story. On the flip side, when I did have time to read, this book would only hold my attention for about 10 pages and then I would be taking a break to check FB.

I looked forward to read this; I do not know much about Queen Victoria and often times historical fiction is a great way to whet my appetite and send me on a research frenzy. But, this book was ssssoooooo ssssslllloooowww.

It was more than just slow, it failed to build any excitement or intrigue. There was nothing that pulled the book along. It was the story of a flippant young queen who, after being monarch for several years, is finally on the brink of being more respectable. This could have been artfully done with artistic liberty taken to let us into Victoria's thoughts.

But it fell short. It just described situations without actually linking any of them together with emotion. We learned nothing of the secondary characters' back stories. It felt like the beginning of the story and not a self-contained book; and I understand that is hard when Victoria reigned for so many decades, but the story introduced so many potentially compelling plot points and then just ended on a ridiculous romantic plot point without resolving any of them, without even really moving any of them forward.

I was looking forward to the PBS series based on this book, but now I am almost dreading it. I will probably still watch as I have heard from numerous people that it is much better than the book, but if I am not pulled in to it rather quickly, I will not waste time on it as I feel I wasted time on this book.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2676 comments I read The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin a while ago. It didn't impress me. I felt she created a romance where there was none, turning history into chick lit. I wasn't tempted by this one. It's nice to have my judgement confirmed.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7623 comments Jgrace wrote: "I wasn't tempted by this one. It's nice to have my judgement confirmed. ..."

Anita gave it 4 stars I believe! I think she enjoyed it, so take my less-than-glowing review with a grain of salt.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8081 comments I didn't care for American Heiress by the same author, so I was dubious about Victoria. It's off my TBR now, but the PBS series is awesome so far.

message 5: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments And since Nicole is my reading twin for about 9 years, off the TBR it goes.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7623 comments Yeah, Linda, you can definitely skip it. You might like it slightly more than me only because I think you know more about Victoria than me to start with but I see you only giving it three stars...max. But it will fall way short of your high standards for historical fiction.

message 7: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I added it because of Anita's review, but now I don't know........

What to do, what to do.......

message 8: by Anita (last edited Feb 09, 2017 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita Pomerantz | 6238 comments I feel so guilty! Sorry, Nicole - - I thought you would like it more than I did, not less. That's real dislike in that review.

Regina, I would say don't do it.

Sigh.

Sometimes I think I just read so many harder books that anything light seems like fun reading . . .

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7623 comments Anita wrote: "I feel so guilty! Sorry, Nicole - - I thought you would like it more than I did, not less. That's real dislike in that review...."

You have no reason to feel guilty! I always appreciate reviews and it was on my radar before you recommended it.

Regina, I don't know if you would like it because I don't think you would like the historical parts of it. It skims too much for your taste I think...

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8081 comments My husband and I are falling for the PBS series. We've watched the first four.

message 11: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Ya'll talked me out of it. I'm removing it. Seeing as how I'm really frustrated with the PBS series I probably should skip.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5469 comments Regina ... you might prefer Becoming Queen Victoria which is nonfiction.

Anita Pomerantz | 6238 comments I thought the series was worse than the book (sorry, Amy!), but my husband is still watching it lol.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

My husband and I are also enjoying watching the series on PBS, but after reading various reviews, I think I'll skip the book version.